Most silent 2,5" HDD

zeecue

Hello

As im building a Asrock Deskmini X300 based HTPC and already have most parts, and I am thinking about adding 1 or 2 HDDS to it, for fileserver use(like phone backups, backups from other family members PCs and such).

The PC is gonna replace a Xbox One S, as the Xbox makes enough noise to irritate me when its in standby, so the drives would need to be near silent.

Any imputs on this, i should i just spend more on a SSD for additional storage?

Both

For actively accessed data, SSD, and for things that won't see the light of day, HDD.

The hdd won't ever need to be turned on since it won't be actively accessed. 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

How many tb do you need?

Id really get a ssd, there not much more, and silent.

all the 2.5in are pretty quiet though, esp the 5400rpm ones. But there not great drives these days, basiclly all are smr

SSD is the most silent 2,5" drive. I would go for that it's faster anyway. You cannot fit 3,5" in the chassis? Try Seagate lineup of drives.

Thanks for the answers.

I already have a 1TB SSD for the windows install and most used files, but another 2-4TB would be ideal.