Please for the love of God stop using the term "PC Master Race"

oeci
Message added by SansVarnic,

Please refrain from posting comments and replies to inject politics.

Thank you.

After having heard this term in many tech youtube videos including LTT and also read it on many forums I finally decided to bring the issue up in this thread. I live in Europe and here the term "Master Race" is commonly associated with Nazi Germany language (a so called Nazism). I don't know whether this is also the case in the U.S. and/ or Canada but let me quote Wikipedia as a reminder:

The master race (German: Herrenrasse, also referred to as Herrenvolk "master people") is a concept in Nazi ideology in which the putative Nordic or Aryan races, predominant among Germans and other northern European peoples, are deemed the highest in racial hierarchy. Members of this alleged master race were referred to as Herrenmenschen ("master humans").

The Nazi theorist Alfred Rosenberg believed that the Nordic race was descended from Proto-Aryans, who he believed had prehistorically dwelt on the North German Plain and ultimately originated on the lost continent of Atlantis. The Nazis declared that the Nordics (now referred to as the Germanic peoples), or Aryans as they sometimes called them, were superior to all other races. The Nazis believed they were entitled to expand territorially. This concept is known as Nordicism. The actual policy that was implemented by the Nazis resulted in the Aryan certificate. This document, which was required by law for all citizens of the Reich was the "Lesser Aryan certificate" (Kleiner Ariernachweis). This could be obtained through an Ahnenpass, which required the owner to trace their lineage through baptism, birth certificates or certified proof thereof that all grandparents were of "Aryan descent".

The Slavs (along with Gypsies and Jews) were defined as being racially inferior and non-Aryan Untermenschen, and were thus considered to be a danger to the "Aryan" or Germanic master race. According to the Nazi secret Hunger Plan and Generalplan Ost, the Slavic population was to be removed from Central Europe through expulsion, enslavement, starvation, and extermination, except for a small percentage who were deemed to be non-Slavic descendants of Germanic settlers, and thus suitable for Germanisation.

Here is the link to the entire article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_race

As described above the Nazis assumed that they were the "Master Race" and thus superior to any other race on the planet. And some races (most prominently Jews) were deemed so unworthy/ inferior by the Nazis that they should not be allowed to reproduce and therefore needed to be exterminated. So in short words the Nazis used the term "Master Race" as justification for the most gruesome crime against humanity that mankind has ever committed, the industrialized killing of Jews, homosexuals, mentally ill and other people they deemed unworthy/ inferior.

I don't know about you but find it disgusting to use an utterly toxic term like "Master Race" in combination with a hobby like PC gaming that is supposed to be fun. What are we implying here? That console gamers are so inferior/ unworthy that they should be gassed in concentration camps? What about the approximately 40 000 Canadian and the hundreds of thousands of American service men and women who gave their lives in the fight against the terror regime the Nazis established throughout Europe and in parts of Africa? What would they think about us if they saw that we call ourselves the "PC Master Race"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

Given the historic background I strongly believe the term "PC Master Race" is completely inappropriate and should therefore be banned from all future LTT videos and the LTT forums. I constitutes an insult to the millions of victims of the horrible Nazi Regime and their relatives/ descendants and trivializes one of the worst crimes ever committed. Or in other words: I'd rather be an unworthy console gamer than being part of any kind of "Master Race".

@LinusTech @alpenwasser @Glenwing @GzeroD

Thanks in advance for taking my request into consideration.

Edited by SansVarnic
Corrected formatting.

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

PC Master Race

to soon?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 minutes ago, oeci said:

I live in Europe and here the term "Master Race" is commonly associated with Nazi Germany language (a so called Nazism).

That's the whole point: it's being used to mock this whole "Master Race" - concept in an ironical manner! Your whole post actually serves as an argument why it's a good thing to mock that stuff.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

i think you overthink it. it's a parody of nazi "master race".

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I have always thought that PCMR is used to describe something like 'a race to the best of the best'. Like when something looks/runs better on a PC rather than a console, then a PC 'wins the race'.

But that is just my point of view and technically it is not wrong.

Lol no. It is absolutely a reference to the Nazi term.

It was always surprising to me that this term survived the wokeness era. But I guess PC users aren't likely to care about that stuff. As evidenced by this very thread.

12 minutes ago, oeci said:

Here is the link to the entire article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_race

As described above the Nazis assumed that they were the "Master Race" and thus superior to any other race on the planet. And some races (most prominently Jews) were deemed so unworthy/ inferior by the Nazis that they should not be allowed to recreate and therefore needed to be exterminated. So in short words the Nazis used the term "Master Race" as justification for the most gruesome crime against humanity that mankind has ever committed, the industrialized killing of Jews, homosexuals, mentally ill and other people they deemed unworthy/ inferior.

I can't see it...

elephants

PC MASTER RACE

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

16 minutes ago, oeci said:

Linus is the only one out of those people to have anything to do with the videos. The rest are inactive as far as I can tell

Please also remove formatting of the Wikipedia

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

So all this time, SSD has stood for Schutzstaffel drive? I knew it!

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

So all this time, SSD has stood for Schutzstaffel drive? I knew it!

Seagate, Western Digital, Kingston etc. right about now:

878713642_arewethebaddies.gif.b16617f7f5cf1dc16a57bbd637728bff.gif

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

According to the staff list on this website these are Senior Mods. That's why I included them.

22 minutes ago, oeci said:

After having heard this term in many tech youtube videos including LTT and also read it on many forums I finally decided to bring the issue up in this thread. I live in Europe and here the term "Master Race" is commonly associated with Nazi Germany language (a so called Nazism). I don't know whether this is also the case in the U.S. and/ or Canada but let me quote Wikipedia as a reminder:

As described above the Nazis assumed that they were the "Master Race" and thus superior to any other race on the planet. And some races (most prominently Jews) were deemed so unworthy/ inferior by the Nazis that they should not be allowed to reproduce and therefore needed to be exterminated. So in short words the Nazis used the term "Master Race" as justification for the most gruesome crime against humanity that mankind has ever committed, the industrialized killing of Jews, homosexuals, mentally ill and other people they deemed unworthy/ inferior.

I don't know about you but find it disgusting to use an utterly toxic term like "Master Race" in combination with a hobby like PC gaming that is supposed to be fun. What are we implying here? That console gamers are so inferior/ unworthy that they should be gassed in concentration camps? What about the approximately 40 000 Canadian and the hundreds of thousands of American service men and women who gave their lives in the fight against the terror regime the Nazis established throughout Europe and in parts of Africa? What would they think about us if they saw that we call ourselves the "PC Master Race"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

Given the historic background I strongly believe the term "PC Master Race" is completely inappropriate and should therefore be banned from all future LTT videos and the LTT forums. I constitutes an insult to the millions of victims of the horrible Nazi Regime and their relatives/ descendants and trivializes one of the worst crimes ever committed. Or in other words: I'd rather be an unworthy console gamer than being part of any kind of "Master Race".

@LinusTech @alpenwasser @Glenwing @GzeroD

Thanks in advance for taking my request into consideration.

I agree. As an ethnically jewish person who lost many ancestors this term makes me very uncomfortable. The current political climate doesn't help either.

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website

Just now, oeci said:

According to the staff list on this website these are Senior Mods. That's why I included them.

they are almost all inactive.

its a dam joke and meme. it is making fun of the idea

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

It's no joke to those who suffered at the hands of Nazi Germany. And it's no joke to those who still propagate this ideology even today, 75 years after the "Third Reich" finally collapsed.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The forum staff doesn't have any role in the LMG video production.

That's why I also addressed Linus. But the moderation staff certainly has a saying as far as these forums are concerned.

1 minute ago, oeci said:

It's no joke to those who suffered at the hands of Nazi Germany. And it's no joke to those who still propagate this ideology even today, 75 years after the "Third Reich" finally collapsed.

dude we are doing nothing to propagate this ideology compared to many current politicians and activist around the world.

Just now, oeci said:

That's why I also addressed Linus. But the moderation staff certainly has a saying as far as these forums are concerned.

no one is going to ban some words because people don't like it.

Spoiler

The PCMR

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 minutes ago, oeci said:

And it's no joke to those who still propagate this ideology even today, 75 years after the "Third Reich" finally collapsed.

You are just giving legitimacy to them with this, so...

6 minutes ago, oeci said:

satire
noun [ C or U ]

uk

/ˈsæt.aɪər/ us

/ˈsæt.aɪr/

a way of criticizing people or ideas in a humorous way, especially in order to make a political point, or a piece of writing that uses this style:
political satire
Her play was a biting/cruel satire on life in the 80s.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/satire

:)

10 minutes ago, oeci said:

It's the other way round:

The term "PC master race" is a mockery of the concept of a master race. By using this joke we actually demonstrate how stupid the idea of a "master race" is. We make fun of the idea of a master race. We make fun of nazi-ideology, and how dumb it is. 

Using the term is not done to actually imply superiority of PC gaming, using it is done to say almost the opposite.

9 minutes ago, oeci said:

I appreciate your perspective but I think you're being oversensitive, and I think the other forum staff will most likely agree.

We're not going to stop people from using PCMR just because it's loosely associated with nazis, any more than we're going to forbid using the phrase "grammar nazi", or stop people from saying "nuking a thread" when we remove posts even though it refers to weapons of mass destruction which devastated Japan, or stop using the phrase "hijacking a thread" when someone posts a new question in someone else's thread, even though it generally refers to terrorists taking over planes and flying them into buildings in American minds. If you start tiptoe-ing around any phrase associated with some bad history, we're not going to be able say anything.

No one reading these phrases seriously associates them with these events, despite their obvious historical origin. They are common modern phrases.

Everything "nazi-realated" is not racist, nor "nazi"... in my humble opinion... 

Even the symbolics, though obviously better known as "nazi symbolism" is not something they used first by axis. For example - swastika. Old symbolics hijacked..

Matter of interpretation though.

I edit my posts more often than not