Windows Install to NVME Issue

Bigshot0910

I’m having an issue with getting Windows installed to a new WD Black SN850 1TB PCIE 4.0 SSD. 

Specs: 

ASUS Crosshair VIII Formula (BIOS 2402)

Ryzen 9 5900X

64GB Trident RGB RAM

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

I am trying to install Windows 10 from a USB install media I made a month or two ago. I’ve been having issues with the windows installer not being willing to install to the SSD if it is in the Boot Menu in the BIOS. If I turn off CSM the drive disappears from the BIOS boot menu but the Windows Installer seems to work just fine. However, when it finishes install and restarts the drive is still not a boot option (either as itself or as windows boot manager).  If I turn on CSM it shows as itself but won’t boot even though the Windows installer shows the three standard partitions were created. 

Errors in the Windows Installer is “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk’s controller is enabled in the computer’s BIOS menu.” If looking at it partitioned it also adds the line “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.”

to make it as far As I’ve managed I’ve been following the instruction from the below link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-m-2-nvme-ssd.3365143/post-20482537

Welp.

First I'd clear the cmos one good time.

Then maybe Ubuntu on a bootable USB drive. 

Use this to wipe and format the drive. Delete partitions.

When you are ready to install windows, set USB as first bootable device.

Don't use legacy mode unless you need to. 

Disable CSM to install/boot GPT disk UEFI Before windows installation attempt. 

GL.

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Welp.

First I'd clear the cmos one good time.

Then maybe Ubuntu on a bootable USB drive. 

Use this to wipe and format the drive. Delete partitions.

When you are ready to install windows, set USB as first bootable device.

Don't use legacy mode unless you need to. 

Disable CSM to install/boot GPT disk UEFI Before windows installation attempt. 

GL.

Why Ubuntu for deleting the partitions and reformatting the drives? I can do that inside the Windows Installer. Problem is that even when I get the Windows installer to install by turning off CSM the BIOS still doesn’t recognize the drive as bootable. If I turn CSM back on, same thing. Drive shows up in the boot list, but doesn’t boot to windows, just goes back to the installer. 

Ububtu because then you have a working OS. Its helpful in a lot of ways. 

But you have 3 partitions. You didnt say you put them there. It sounds like the board may had defaulted to CSM enabled during the restart or something weird like that honestly.

So, thinking this may be an issue with the new SSD. I was able to pop a spare pcie 3.0 nvme drive into the same slot, same BIOS settings, and everything worked fine. I've got Windows installed and running, all my other drives plugged in, and everything pretty much squared away. Even got the WDB SN850 working as a drive for my games. Not really a solution, but I don't feel like continuing to futz with it when it isn't exactly a problem anymore.