Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PCIE-Slot on Backside of Motherboard

Hey!
I know this might sound stupid on first thought, but bear with me.

Soon i want to do my next build, and want to add a watercooled 3080 (if I can get one). To show off the card, I'd like to place it vertically. To do so, I need to use a Riser-Cable.

Here is my problem:

Plugging the Riser-Cable in the first PCIE-Slot does somewhat block all oher slots from being used, even if my case would me allow to do so.
Using a long Riser-Cable and routing it over and around the other cards makes everything untidy and ugly in my opinion.
Plugging the Riser-Cable in a lower slot does not really make any sense, because on every ATX-Board I looked at, the other PCIE-Slots are max. x8 lanes, with the bottom most PCIE-Slot is mostly only x4 lanes.

So my solution is: Double the first PCIE-Slot on the back of the PCB.
In this way you can plug you Riser-Cable on the back side, route it behind the motherboard right down the vertical GPU-Mount.
No blocking of other PCIE-Slots, no messy cables behind your GPU.
If you dont like vertical GPUs, well you can use the usual PCIE slot on the front side.

I really dont know, why any high-end motherboard did not come up with this yet.
What do you think about this idea?

8 minutes ago, St4ubf1nger said:

So my solution is: Double the first PCIE-Slot on the back of the PCB.
In this way you can plug you Riser-Cable on the back side, route it behind the motherboard right down the vertical GPU-Mount.
No blocking of other PCIE-Slots, no messy cables behind your GPU.
If you dont like vertical GPUs, well you can use the usual PCIE slot on the front side.

no, there's not enough clearance behind the motherboard to allow for another pcie slot

and for almost everyone else this doesn't make sense

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

no, there's not enough clearance behind the motherboard to allow for another pcie slot

and for almost everyone else this doesn't make sense

Yeah this might be the case. I dont know, but maybe there is an angled PCIE-Slot, the same way there are angled 24-pin slots.

Also I thought about DIY the whole thing, but I dont think i can solder good enough to resoldet the whole PCIE-Slot.

Just now, St4ubf1nger said:

Also I thought about DIY the whole thing, but I dont think i can solder good enough to resoldet the whole PCIE-Slot.

give up on this idea, you need to connect actual motherboard traces together, which is borderline impossible without the proper equipment. 

1 minute ago, St4ubf1nger said:

Yeah this might be the case. I dont know, but maybe there is an angled PCIE-Slot, the same way there are angled 24-pin slots.

you could but it would only make sense for such a small percentage of the market that it wouldn't be profitable to do. along with the fact that clearance is still an issue, you could measure the width of a pcie slot, but i still think it's too big

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Soo, in case someone else comes across this topic:

Even when you can resolder your PCIE-Slot from the backside, you have another problem.

The pinlayout on PCIE a PCIE-Slot is not symmetrical, so when you 'just' flip the connector to the other side, those Pins will be mirrored.
The slot cannot be used with a standard riser-cabler anymore.

Here is a list of the pinouts of PCIE: https://pinouts.ru/Slots/pci_express_pinout.shtml

Thanks for your replys and input.