Which way should my cooler go?

TheJedi

Hey guys.

I built my first ever PC today.

I posted it online and received feedback that the cooler placement was poorly optimized.

Could anyone help me understand what they meant and how I can fix it.

Thanks.

Pic is below

20201128_210629__01.jpg

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

If you stuck with the default fan placement, that fan is probably blowing down. With most GPU fans pointing up, you might encounter some turbulence.

But it seems your GPU doesn't have any fans, so the real inefficiency is that the airflow would wash over the bottom of the case and probably circulate back up. You could flip the fan around, which would be really easy with those metal clips, so that it pulls air up through the heat sink instead of pushing it down, but there might not be a big difference really.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

If you stuck with the default fan placement, that fan is probably blowing down. With most GPU fans pointing up, you might encounter some turbulence.

But it seems your GPU doesn't have any fans, so the real inefficiency is that the airflow would wash over the bottom of the case and probably circulate back up. You could flip the fan around so that it pulls air up through the heat sink instead of pushing it down, but there might not be a big difference really.

Don't mind me, but how can you tell which way the fan is blowing?

System

1 minute ago, CloudPC said:

Don't mind me, but how can you tell which way the fan is blowing?

I can't tell 100% from the picture but I was just guessing based on the default way that those coolers shipped. If you removed the fan from the cooler and arranged it intentionally so that it's blowing upward, then there's really no issue here that I could point out.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

I can't tell 100% from the picture but I was just guessing based on the default way that those coolers shipped. If you arranged the fan intentionally so that it's blowing upward, then there's really no issue here that I could point out.

Ah I see, I actually bought it off a friend so i will see which was the air is blowing.

Will I be able to tell by just putting my hand on too and underneath?

Is it ok for it to be blowing up even though there are no exhast fans at the top?

Also, yeh my GPU currently is just being used as a display output because of my uncertainty in which GPU to buy. 

System

3 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

Will I be able to tell by just putting my hand on too and underneath?

it's easier to tell by the way the fan blades are shaped

Best Quiet Case Fan for Silent PC in 2020 [120mm & 140mm]

See how the blades are cupped in a specific way? These fans would be catching the air and pushing it to the left, relative to how they're pictured. The be quiet fan would be pushing air away from the logo side of the fan.

3 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

Is it ok for it to be blowing up even though there are no exhast fans at the top?

no fans is fine, but I also assumed you have some ventilation up there. I don't know the model of case you're using, so if there are no holes at the top, you might want to consider rotating the CPU cooler 90 degrees and have it push air out the back. That way it's leaving the case as fast as possible.

Primary PC:

22 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

See how the blades are cupped in a specific way? These fans would be catching the air and pushing it to the left, relative to how they're pictured. The be quiet fan would be pushing air away from the logo side of the fan.

no fans is fine, but I also assumed you have some ventilation up there. I don't know the model of case you're using, so if there are no holes at the top, you might want to consider rotating the CPU cooler 90 degrees and have it push air out the back. That way it's leaving the case as fast as possible.

Its the P400A, it does have holes at the top and a magnetic dust filter. As I'm on AMD Platform, I don't am able to rotate the cooler 90 deg

System

5 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

Its the P400A, it does have holes at the top and a magnetic dust filter. As I'm on AMD Platform, I don't am able to rotate the cooler 90 deg

Since the air can exhaust out the top, then it would be very convenient for you to remove the fan and flip it so that the air is pushed out the top.

You could also move the rear exhaust fan to the top of you wanted to. Airflow would be improved slightly.

Primary PC:

45 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Ok I checked it. The fan is blowing up towards the vents.

System

Just now, CloudPC said:

Ok I checked it. The fan is blowing up towards the vents.

Then everything should be working very efficiently

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Thanks very much for your help

System

22 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Ok I lied, I was confused. Right now, I can see the be quiet logo on top meaning that it is drawing air in from the top and pushing it down?

So what Ur saying is that I should flip the fan so that the fan is taking the earth from the heatsink and pushing it up?

Sorry for my long explanation, I'm a first time builder so I need to fully understand

System

7 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

Ok I lied, I was confused. Right now, I can see the be quiet logo on top meaning that it is drawing air in from the top and pushing it down?

So what Ur saying is that I should flip the fan so that the fan is taking the earth from the heatsink and pushing it up?

Sorry for my long explanation, I'm a first time builder so I need to fully understand

yes, I recommend you take the fan and flip it around so that it pushes air up. It can be clipped onto either side of the heat sink, doesn't matter, but where it is now (on top of the heat sink) would be no problem if you prefer to keep it there.

Primary PC: