CPU high voltage after bios update.

Hi.

I have:

• i7 8700 (default cooler)
  • Asus Prime H370-Plus

After update of the bios from the 0502 -> 2301 my CPU cooler started almost screaming during windos boot. During some stress testing or just main menu in the games it is easily reaches 100C.

I noticed that in the HWINFO for the CPU it has pikes about 1.450V (Core VID). That i guess is to much for the dault settings of BIOS/Windows.

Rollback to the 0502 is not an option, because it looks like Asus removed posibility to rollback, at least in easy way. I've tried solutions with afudos. It passes without errors but bios keeps same version (2301).

So looks like I stuck with this version and have to deal with some voltage tuning.

So the question is how to tune/limit voltage? I saw a thread about same issue (Another LTT thread) but it didn't help with that :( 

You should always revert your BIOS to factory settings after an update and set everything again to how you had it before.

If you did this, maybe you missed something?  If you didn't, maybe its confused over the old settings.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If you did this, maybe you missed something?  If you didn't, maybe its confused over the old settings.

I've tried to revert it to default without any result. Can try to reset CMOS, but I don't think it will give any difference.

29 minutes ago, chandre92 said:

I've tried to revert it to default without any result. Can try to reset CMOS, but I don't think it will give any difference.

Its always worth a try, but its possibly that automatic voltage is being too aggressive and you'll need to tweak it manually.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its always worth a try

Ok, I've tried to reset CMSO, didn't help. 

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

you'll need to tweak it manually.

Yes, it is exactle what I wrote in the first message and that I need some help with that, because I've neve done it before.

Tried different bios voltage related configs but it still have some peaks up to 1.5V for VID in the HW info. Windows power setting is in balanced state.

How to limit VID voltage?

Spoiler

Pikes1.5.png

Update:

Tried to set everything to default setting and just disable turbo boost in the bios. As a result max VID 1.15 and max 67C between cores during Cinebench R23 multicore. So I asume that it is the turbo boost is bumping voltage so hard. How to limit its voltage bump?

Edited by chandre92
Added screenshot

• 7 months later...
On 11/29/2020 at 12:31 AM, chandre92 said:

Hi.

I have:

• i7 8700 (default cooler)
  • Asus Prime H370-Plus

After update of the bios from the 0502 -> 2301 my CPU cooler started almost screaming during windos boot. During some stress testing or just main menu in the games it is easily reaches 100C.

I noticed that in the HWINFO for the CPU it has pikes about 1.450V (Core VID). That i guess is to much for the dault settings of BIOS/Windows.

Rollback to the 0502 is not an option, because it looks like Asus removed posibility to rollback, at least in easy way. I've tried solutions with afudos. It passes without errors but bios keeps same version (2301).

So looks like I stuck with this version and have to deal with some voltage tuning.

So the question is how to tune/limit voltage? I saw a thread about same issue (Another LTT thread) but it didn't help with that :( 

Hey chandre92,

I also have an Asus Prime H370-Plus and a I7 8700k and a very good CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D14). I ran Bios Version 0802 for two years without any problems. My system was quiet and cool. Last week I updated to Bios Version 2501 and now my CPU gets 20 degrees hotter under Load and my fans are very noisy.

I think it is definitely a Bug in the newer Bios Versions. I also saw your topic in the Asus ROG Forum.

Did you ever figure out how to solve the heat problems? Did you try the newest Bios Version 2701?

Did you maybe figure out how to revert to older Bios Versions?