Want USB C 3.1 Gen 2 connector to go to the front of my case with a B550M VDH WIFI PRO

Go to solution Solved by dilpickle,
3 minutes ago, Menazeen said:

Yeah I can imagine, there aren't any expansion cards like that for PCIE x1. So generally there is no way to get a larger data transfer rate than the one your motherboard supports, right?

No. Expansion cards are the only way and as you've found there aren't any for PCI-E x1.

I made the mistake of confusing the USB C Gen 1 and 2 wehn buying myself a motherboard, and now I ended up with a VDH WIFI PRO board which only comes with a USB C Gen 1 header. I wanted to add an expansion so that I could have the USB C Gen 2 entrance, but I can't figure out how. I saw that there is a USB 3.0 to USB C Gen 2 gadget that could fix the problem, but this board only has one of those and I want to still be able to use it. My thought process then was to find a cable that coud give me another USB 3.0 header, but because this board is a micro ATX, there is not the additional PCIE entrance to work it. I need to find a way to directly get USB C Gen 2 header or be get an extra USB 3.0 header to use the expansion gadget with it. Any links to cables or ideas I could use to fix this are more than welcome. 

Wait, so you've got a 3.1 Gen 2 port on your case?

You are aware that you can connect that to the Gen 1 port on your board, right?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Wait, so you've got a 3.1 Gen 2 port on your case?

You are aware that you can connect that to the Gen 1 port on your board, right?

Yes, I am aware of that. I got the basic NZXT H510 case and it has compatibility for its front port USB C for Gen 1 and 2. I have a drawing tablet that can connect using single cable but the transfer rate needs to be 10Gps. By connecting the front port to a USB C Gen 1 header, the device does not work.

5 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

So you have this:

Can an upside-down USB3 header damage the motherboard? - Super User

And you want this:

Will USB 3.1 require a different front panel header than USB 3? Also, will  computer case makers implement USB-C on front panels? - Quora

Without using one of these:

USB 3.0 19Pin to Motherboard USB 3.1 Type C Front Panel Header Adapter -  modDIY.com

Basically. I know I already have a USB C Gen 1 port in my board, but I need Gen 2. I mentioned the 3.0 to USB C Gen 2 connector because that was one of the only solutions I could think of, the problem with that is that I only have one USB 3.0 header that I am already using for one of the ports in my case (H510). So what I want is another way in which I can get that Gen 2 header.

Just now, dilpickle said:

The motherboard only has "USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps Ports".

There is nothing you can do to change that other than buy a new motherboard.

I just found a PICE x1 expansion with double USB 3.0 headers. If I get that plus the 3.0 to USB C Gen 2 header, would that work?

1 minute ago, Menazeen said:

I just found a PICE x1 expansion with double USB 3.0 headers. If I get that plus the 3.0 to USB C Gen 2 header, would that work?

Think about what you are trying to do. If the expansion card is USB 3.0 how can you expect to get USB 3.2 Gen 2 speed?

You need to find an expansion card that does USB 3.2 Gen 2.

5 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Think about what you are trying to do. If the expansion card is USB 3.0 how can you expect to get USB 3.2 Gen 2 speed?

You need to find an expansion card that does USB 3.2 Gen 2.

Yeah I can imagine, there aren't any expansion cards like that for PCIE x1. So generally there is no way to get a larger data transfer rate than the one your motherboard supports, right?

3 minutes ago, Menazeen said:

No. Expansion cards are the only way and as you've found there aren't any for PCI-E x1.

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

Well then, thanks for the support