I’ve messed up my new cpu.. what do I do?

Hey new to this, already had a thread with problems that I spent a week fixing, gpu was getting hot so I switched cases, and with my micro atx mobo I couldn’t reach a connector so I removed my cpu cooler without twisting and bent a bunch of pins on my cpu, absolutely devastated I’ve tried rebending them with a mm screwdriver and it’s really hard to do. Honestly stuck here and don’t know what to do, any suggestions?

Its a 3700x and I saved up my bday money to get this (I’m 16)

FFA640C6-8059-49D0-8783-82A1EC17E69D.jpeg

2E6BC006-CB7D-4E62-A6A9-50B6B1A59B61.jpeg

heating and then bending with a small razor blade or thin piece of flat metal is a good approach

when removing the stock AMD CPU cooler it's best to twist the cooler off, due to the rather sticky nature of the paste

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

How would I heat it to a point of melting, and also some pins are bent so they are touching and  I don’t know if they will combine?

3 minutes ago, Dynamisticality said:

Honestly stuck here and don’t know what to do, any suggestions?

Welp, some of those pins are really bent. There's not really much you can do, though: you can pay for someone else to try and straighten them back up or you can do it yourself. It's quite literally not useable as-is, so, in a sense, you wouldn't be losing much, if it broke in the attempt.

This is one of those rather unpleasant lessons no one wants to learn first-hand.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Man you really did a number on those pins...have you tried using tweezers? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I have precision screwdrivers that I got to try revenge them that came with tweezers, it’s pretty hard to see even with my phones 5x zoom feature

Who would I pay to try fix it, does the manufacturer do repairs seemingly as they can make these chips or do I need to find a shop that does it?

7 minutes ago, Dynamisticality said:

Hey new to this, already had a thread with problems that I spent a week fixing, gpu was getting hot so I switched cases, and with my micro atx mobo I couldn’t reach a connector so I removed my cpu cooler without twisting and bent a bunch of pins on my cpu, absolutely devastated I’ve tried rebending them with a mm screwdriver and it’s really hard to do. Honestly stuck here and don’t know what to do, any suggestions?

I feel really bad for you :(
This happened to me too, just with a 1600X.
My advice:

Tweezers

Really small flathead screwdriver

Amazing lighting
Magnifying glass

I was able to fix all but a few pins that were twisted in each other, and one was bent completely flat.

It is now in a picture frame, with the caption "Don't bend pins."

elephants

Well I have bad lighting, using camera as magnifying glass and I have both a flat screwdriver and tweezers, I don’t really know what to do, also I think the site just went down

17 minutes ago, Dynamisticality said:

I have precision screwdrivers that I got to try revenge them that came with tweezers, it’s pretty hard to see even with my phones 5x zoom feature

Do you not have good lighting to do this stuff? Perhaps a desk lamp? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

You don't heat them to the point of melting, just warm them up to make them more pliable/less likely to snap off. A hair dryer or heat gun would probably do, throw a carboard box over to trap the heat (so you're blowing air into the box, not having the whole hair dryer inside) Best of luck to you

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

No, just lights that are directly above me and a phone light

Ok... well try to do the best you can do to fix those pins. 

If you fail to repair the bent pins, you could try sending your chip to someone that has specialized equipment to solder new pins to the cpu. It will probably be cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

Main system: Ryzen 5 1600 | ASRock A320M | 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM | GTX 1060 | 1TB WD BLUE

Server: AMD A6-7400K@4.3Ghz | 8GB 1866 DDR3 RAM | 2TB total storage

On the go: Thinkpad E440 | i5 4200M | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | 500GB HDD

Use tweezers to get them apart from each other. Once they are apart use a credit card to bend the pin back. I’ve done this numerous times for friends that have bent pins. A credit card on each side so you don’t over do it. 
Go slow. Do not rush this repair or you’ll end up messing it more than it already is. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

The credit card is too big to fit in between the slots, if worst comes to the worst I’ll ask my dad as he works as a mechanic and can heat it up and has a bunch of tools for it, I’ll keep trying though but it’s a lot of pins

The credit card is too big to fit in between the slots, if worst comes to the worst I’ll ask my dad as he works as a mechanic and can heat it up and has a bunch of tools for it, I’ll keep trying though but it’s a lot of pins

I would not recommend heating the cpu up. That will not unbend the pins and will only cause them to possibly disolder causing further damage. I had good luck fixing bent pins on an old sempron using one of those thin blades used for arts and crafts (pic related) and very slowly and carefully unbending them back straight enough that it fits the socket. Otherwise maybe taking it to a computer repair shop you trust and asking if anyone there has steady hands and knows how to fix bent pins is a good option.

Main system: Ryzen 5 1600 | ASRock A320M | 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM | GTX 1060 | 1TB WD BLUE

2 hours ago, Dynamisticality said:

How would I heat it to a point of melting, and also some pins are bent so they are touching and  I don’t know if they will combine?

you have to use the quote button or use @Dynamisticalityor else we won't see your responses

you don't have to heat them to the point of melting, in fact that would be very inadvisable. I simply recommend warming them so that they are slightly more flexible and less prone to cracking or breaking, even though that would not be an extreme concern in the first place.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

you have to use the quote button or use @Dynamisticalityor else we won't see your responses

you don't have to heat them to the point of melting, in fact that would be very inadvisable. I simply recommend warming them so that they are slightly more flexible and less prone to cracking or breaking, even though that would not be an extreme concern in the first place.

I'm fairly certain that the solder melting temp is lower that the temperature required to make copper measurably softer. 

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I'm fairly certain that the solder melting temp is lower that the temperature required to make copper measurably softer. 

well it wouldn't have to be significantly softer but truthfully I've not tried myself so it's true it might not make a difference

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Hmm, that's interesting. Although I don't know if the pins on a cpu are made of copper or some other metal alloy. I know for a fact that the pins are gold plated, but that doesn't matter in this case.

2 hours ago, RussianSalad said:

Hmm, that's interesting. Although I don't know if the pins on a cpu are made of copper or some other metal alloy. I know for a fact that the pins are gold plated, but that doesn't matter in this case.

I was assuming gold plated copper, but I guess they could be something else. Regardless, any metal is going to have a much higher melting/softening point than solder. 

5 hours ago, Dynamisticality said:

FFA640C6-8059-49D0-8783-82A1EC17E69D.jpeg

2E6BC006-CB7D-4E62-A6A9-50B6B1A59B61.jpeg

The way I straighten pins is with a model vice clamp, a magnifying glass (when needed) and surgical tweezers. To help eliminate the wavy pins, I use a thin card from my wallet. Like my library card which is a little thinner and fits between the rows of pins better. Gently slide up the rows and rock the card back and forth gently while watching and paying close attention.

This cpu isn't bad. I managed to straighted out a socket AM2/3 cpu that was halfway almost completely bent over.

Time and patience. Don't forget to breath and keep a steady hand. 

Thanks, some are pretty hard to get like the ones that are touching each other, I just don’t want to pull it off with the tweezers but I managed to fix a lot of the pins