H1 susceptible to catch fire - contact NZXT

LukeSavenije

Uh oh, new news to the story.

They still have not fully accepted the seriousness and SOME repair parts are just modified of the older version instead of a "true" replacement that works.

Although some will get the "fixed" version that GN did test before and was at least a better option, the new old version is as seen below.
The one seen in the thumbnail picture below.

30 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

They still have not fully accepted the seriousness and SOME repair parts are just modified of the older version instead of a "true" replacement that works.

Although some will get the "fixed" version that GN did test before and was at least a better option, the new old version is as seen below.
The one seen in the thumbnail picture below.

Man, used to love nzxt products, now they're just making ovens with their own heaters

Wondering if they'll change for the better in the future

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Is this a fact, or an assumption on Steve Burke's behalf? Just because the holes are no longer plated on the inside doesn't mean exposed conductive material close to the hole sandwiched between the PCB layers as with the original design.

At LEAST he should have performed an x-ray on the new PCB to confirm.

If NZXT truly redesigned the PCB with within safety tolerances, Steve will be eating crow! 

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

At LEAST he should have perform an x-ray on the new PCB to confirm.

If NZXT truly redesigned the PCB with within safety tolerances, Steve will be eating crow! 

Maybe he should, but there is nothing to indicate this is a different version, just added some minor change.

While some are still getting the much better quality and improved ones, so I doubt they have 2 completely new versions when one of them looks the same, and hurts as much and all that. All they needed to do was testing it again, I didn't hear if they did go through testing it again besides showing some similar flaws.

So with those similar flaws to the old design just having less of a chance to dig more into the board, even though it still does that on the old design one. I would doubt they have changed much with it, and at some point the screw will hit something and you don't have the protection of the cover as in the completely new one that was just overall better.

7 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Maybe he should, but there is nothing to indicate this is a different version, just added some minor change.

While some are still getting the much better quality and improved ones, so I doubt they have 2 completely new versions when one of them looks the same, and hurts as much and all that.

But you, Steve, and I don't know that as a matter of fact. While it is a scuzzy to present Steve with a revision that wouldn't make the final product, technically and per the obligations to provide a safe product revision, do I see any wrong doing here.

Steve has every right to call them out on this bait-and-switch design as it frankly makes him look like an ass. That's not entirely his fault; and it's bad PR initiated by NZXT from what I can see. But again, let's not conflate what ought to be a more "robust" design to that of meeting safety requirements. If NZXT wanted to go the cheaper route, that's their prerogative. As such, they should never have presenting Steve a design they had no intention of releasing to the public in its final form.

It's better to not present something than to have presented it, then take it away.

5 minutes ago, StDragon said:

But you, Steve, and I don't know that as a matter of fact. While it is a scuzzy to present Steve with a revision that wouldn't make the final product, technically and per the obligations to provide a safe product revision, do I see any wrong doing here.

Steve has every right to call them out on this bait-and-switch designed as it frankly makes him look like an ass. That's not entirely his fault; and it's bad PR initiated by NZXT from what I can see. But again, let's not conflate what ought to be a more "robust" design to that of meeting safety requirements. If NZXT wanted to go the cheaper route, that's their prerogative. As such, they should never have presenting Steve a design they had no intention of releasing to the public in its final form.

It's better to not present something than to have presented it, then take it away.

yeah, he didn't state this one was a fire hazard in the video. Just a poor choice and we don't know if by time it will become a fire hazard... again. Since there is no protection for the PCB in what caused that in the first place. Just that with why, as in why move to the older design that is just overall worse and could cause other issues. so if it's a fire hazard or not, that I don't know.

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

yeah, he didn't state this one was a fire hazard in the video. Just a poor choice and we don't know if by time it will become a fire hazard... again. Since there is no protection for the PCB in what caused that in the first place. Just that with why, as in why move to the older design that is just overall worse and could cause other issues. so if it's a fire hazard or not, that I don't know.

Having copper in the hole won't prevent short

What will is that there's no bloody 12v or any non-ground traces or planes near that hole

Steve is angry that they sent a different product to consumers than what they sent to him, that's about it

Whether the replacement risers are a fire hazard is unknown

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Mac display connector or this?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Having copper in the hole won't prevent short

Steve is angry that they sent a different product to consumers than what they sent to him, that's about it

No, but like stated its also for protection when inserting a screw something the "new" one didn't have.

They do send out the same one, it's just that they supply 2 different units.

One being the one he tested as being "safe", and the other one being that he wasn't exactly told would be used.

But GN had to admit, NZXT have not stated to them or maybe others on what they would provide or if they were only going to use one type for replacement.

Only that they were going to hopefully solve it or take it more serious.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

A lie of omission is still a lie.

These days apparently it depends.  It appears that lie by omission is deemed “TRUTH!” in some circles lately.  Or at least “alternative TRUTH!”  The same people who believe that “alternative TRUTH!” is a thing though will often still use the traditional concept of lie by admission when the result is not to their personal advantage.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, StDragon said:

Is this a fact, or an assumption on Steve Burke's behalf? Just because the holes are no longer plated on the inside doesn't mean exposed conductive material close to the hole sandwiched between the PCB layers as with the original design.

At LEAST he should have performed an x-ray on the new PCB to confirm.

I'm a H1 owner, obviously been following this since it all kicked off..

I've also got my replacement riser kit.

I have the "cheaper" riser cable that Steve isn't happy about.

Now some of points.

Comparing the old dangerous riser and the new replacement I got, they are similar BUT are redesigned.

- The holes are the same, but the newer one has gold plating on top(not through) 

- I can tell the traces are designed differently by the different layout

- The replacement metal screws don't "bite" into the PCB

- the older cable does not work with gen 4.0 - the new cable does (both new ones)

couple of issue with the GN video

- I believe he used the old screws not the ones provided with the kit, even so it didn't bring up any issue in his test

- He did not do a x-ray of the new board which would have confirmed either way if there was an issue or not.

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro