H1 susceptible to catch fire - contact NZXT

LukeSavenije
Just now, Moonzy said:

Just those riser, which I'm not entirely sure if it's used elsewhere, or if they sold it as a separate riser kit anywhere.

It was a joke but other NZXT cases wouldn’t catch fire the components would lol

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No, the cars melted so that was the end of those. That section of the track was ruined to. Problem with electrical burns with AC is it's all under the upper skin layers so even though my hands hurt like hell for a bit running them under water didn't help at all. I said nothing and hid everything 🙃

urgghhhh god just hearing about AC burns makes me want to yell. 

I've had my fair share of experiences, carpet nail in an electric cord when I was really young (~4), still have a scar running from the tip of my ring finger all the way up to my knuckle, I honestly don't know why it scared up like it did, maybe it's a small kid finger thing? I'm still confused about that. 

thinking the breaker was switched off from a room while replacing a wall socket, then grabbing both the power and ground wires at the same time to spread them apart to get them around the new socket. turns out the socket I was replacing was on a different circuit then the rest of the room. 

did the same thing will splicing the cables on an extension cord, sadly to say, more than once. 

a mini-fridge went rouge and had a short somewhere as i was going to grab a cup of milk at like 3am, then I got blasted. no sleep that night. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Good job, NZXT, this could have all ended if you just came out clear and replaced the risers, but you decided to give customers a cheap band-aid and now thousands of people know about NZXT's irresponsible business practices.

6 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

now thousands of people know about NZXT's irresponsible business practices.

sadly, there WILL be some owners that never heard of the news, and still using the original metal screw

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

Which means they either didn't go through every single unsold inventory and replaced them, or worse still, this was gross negligence and a QC approval was issued even though this clearly did not meet requirements.

Considering what's at stake here, this is pretty dang bad. Then again, NZXT as of late seems more focused on finding more dead memes from r/pcmasterrace to repost on their Twitter page than actually solving issues.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 hours ago, Moonzy said:

They screw too big for they damn hole!

And there should be a few mm zone beside the screw hole without traces running just in case things like this happens anyways.

Yes and no.

The holes are too small for the screw used, but the thread on the case isn't something that can be changed, so it's not clear if the riser manufacturer build it wrong, or if NZXT made a mistake when making the threaded holes for the riser or if NZXT spec'd the riser wrong when it was sent to be build.

Either way, the nylon screws aren't a permanent solution because as others have said here, and GN mentioned, those nylon screws can break, and someone might not understand the issue and replace them with regular metal screws. And then we're back to square one.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

don't all nzxt cases want fire?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

11 hours ago, Moonzy said:

They screw too big for they damn hole!

And there should be a few mm zone beside the screw hole without traces running just in case things like this happens anyways.

More like essentially what they did is take a PCB and drill pressed a hole in a spot they thought was ground/blank rather then make a PCB that was designed to have a hole in it. There should also be metal ground plate around the hole, just like any PCB you expected to put a screw through. (Note how close the hole is to the silk screened "KF6051" )

There does seem to be evidence of some sort of major “derp” here.   Not sure how it came about, but the problem with fixing things quick and dirty is sometimes it doesn’t work right.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

NZXT just announced they will replace the riser cable 

https://blog.nzxt.com/a-message-from-our-ceo-johnny-regarding-the-h1-safety-issue/

At least they listened to Steve this time. 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

NZXT just announced they will replace the riser cable 

https://blog.nzxt.com/a-message-from-our-ceo-johnny-regarding-the-h1-safety-issue/

At least they listened to Steve this time. 

Good, but this should've really just been done right from the get-go.

Apologizing and admitting that they even thought nylon screws would be a good long-term solution just speaks volumes about how they treated this serious issue without the level of urgency you'd expect.

Take a break from r/pcmasterrace and actually do something a company like Noctua would do...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Too bad it took Gamers Nexus basically smearing them publically to actually get this fixed. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Just need to wait till March for the riser....

I think Tech Jesus should get them to provide gen 4 cables lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

48 minutes ago, Pickles - One of the Jar said:

Too bad it took Gamers Nexus basically smearing them publically to actually get this fixed. 

It's not a smear if it's true. GN called them out. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

27 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

I think Tech Jesus should get them to provide gen 4 cables lol

You didn't watch the video, haven't you? Steve addressed this very clearly: you paid for a Gen 3 riser, so that's what you get. Period. And he's absolutely right.👁️‍🗨️

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

10 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

You didn't watch the video, haven't you? Steve addressed this very clearly: you paid for a Gen 3 riser, so that's what you get. Period. And he's absolutely right.👁️‍🗨️

You obviously didn't see the "lol"..it was a joke :old-eyeroll:

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

7 hours ago, Pickles - One of the Jar said:

Smearing them would be a false accusation to damage the reputation of NZXT. NZXT has damaged their own reputation by making a cheap garbage cable in the first place,and posting twitter memes instead of addressing the issue, until GN pushed NZXT to fix it.

These riser cables could literally cause a house fire and if GN hadn't brought to attention no one would've cared. Theres also going to be some people that aren't following the news on H1 PCIe riser recall, imo NZXT should be recalling the entire H1 case.

On 2/1/2021 at 3:37 AM, D13H4RD said:

New GN video btw 

-vimdeo-

image.png.0d9c83856f15408d6a02bd6fa67a2e9d.png

Oh boy he angy

✨FNIGE✨

• 2 weeks later...

A product recall for the NZXT H1 was issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2021/nzxt-recalls-h1-computer-cases-due-to-fire-hazard

Description:

This recall involves NZXT H1 computer cases with model numbers CA-H16WR-W1 (matte white) and CA-H16WR-B1 (matte black) and serial numbers 1200233400001 to 1203962204202, 00648999610844189725 to 00648999610844206361, and 0120AC00100001 to 01211C01900285.  The computer cases have a black tempered glass front with the NZXT brand name at the bottom.  The model number and serial number are located on the bottom of the case. 

Remedy:

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled computer cases and contact NZXT for a free repair kit.

Incidents/Injuries:

NZXT has received 11 reports of circuit boards overheating or catching fire worldwide, six of which occurred in the U.S.  No injuries have been reported.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 5:33 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Summary

NZXT is recalling all H1 cases due to a design error where one of the screws can cause sparks, making the case able to catch fire under normal use. If you have a H1 currently, contact h1support@nzxt.com for further assistence. NZXT didn't leave any details to the problem, gave no solution outside of contacting them and is only hinting to making a kit to solve the problem.

Quotes

My thoughts

I personally think NZXT's response to this is lackluster. It's a good thing they've set up a separate support, halted sales and made some public feedback, but in this they didn't even detail the problem itself or link to the second post that discovered it around 20 days earlier than them coming out with it. I understand that looking into this issue takes a couple days, especially right now, but that doesn't excuse you from hinting at so many things without giving a proper breakdown of the problem in my eyes. Especially considering we're talking about a 350 dollar case here. I hope they do work things out and that current H1 users get compensated for this serious design error.

Sources

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9bAEH7EYHhQJ:https://www.centralcomputer.com/nzxt-h1+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-d

Seems NZXT have addressed the issue with a new riser. Gamers Nexus have tested it but I do not fully agree with their findings.

In the NZXT video on he new rise they ask what the holes are around the main hole

The small via holes in the mounting hole pads are designed to electrically connect the mounting hole pad to the pad on the opposite side of the board. In the case of a multi layer board with an inner plane layer the vias may also be used to connect the mounting hole pad to that inner layer. 

In the past it was much less common to see mounting hole pads with these via holes. Instead the mounting hole was built as as a large plated through hole to connect to the opposite side and/or inner layers of the board. The NZXT board has both vias and through main hole plating, the latter of which is not recommended in the modern world and should be removed.

Plating removal in screw mounting holes is primarily done for one reason. The sharp threads of a screw in the hole can cause small particles of metal to come off the plated hole. This is particularly true when boards might be removed and re-installed during testing and/or repair. These small particles can come out and appear on the circuit board or float around in the electronics enclosure. In the advent of surface mount components with vary narrow lead spacings these small metal particles from the screw holes can lead to shorts on the circuit leading to either intermittent circuit operation or outright failure.

So for me, NZXT have still not got it quite right. I have just looked at an ASU’s motherboard and they don’t through plate their mounting holes. Maybe NZXT should take a look.

I am also surprised the board manufacturer plated them as it is more complicated and requires an extra step, therefore it costs more. Many manufacturers don’t like it for another reason, when flow soldering they have to be masked or they will clog with unwanted solder. In most cases.

25 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

Seems NZXT have addressed the issue with a new riser. Gamers Nexus have tested it but I do not fully agree with their findings.

In the NZXT video on he new rise they ask what the holes are around the main hole

The small via holes in the mounting hole pads are designed to electrically connect the mounting hole pad to the pad on the opposite side of the board. In the case of a multi layer board with an inner plane layer the vias may also be used to connect the mounting hole pad to that inner layer. 

In the past it was much less common to see mounting hole pads with these via holes. Instead the mounting hole was built as as a large plated through hole to connect to the opposite side and/or inner layers of the board. The NZXT board has both vias and through main hole plating, the latter of which is not recommended in the modern world and should be removed.

Plating removal in screw mounting holes is primarily done for one reason. The sharp threads of a screw in the hole can cause small particles of metal to come off the plated hole. This is particularly true when boards might be removed and re-installed during testing and/or repair. These small particles can come out and appear on the circuit board or float around in the electronics enclosure. In the advent of surface mount components with vary narrow lead spacings these small metal particles from the screw holes can lead to shorts on the circuit leading to either intermittent circuit operation or outright failure.

So for me, NZXT have still not got it quite right. I have just looked at an ASU’s motherboard and they don’t through plate their mounting holes. Maybe NZXT should take a look.

I am also surprised the board manufacturer plated them as it is more complicated and requires an extra step, therefore it costs more. Many manufacturers don’t like it for another reason, when flow soldering they have to be masked or they will clog with unwanted solder. In most cases.

but the new riser screws dont screw into the metal they go straight to the chassis, he shows that here

https://youtu.be/c9PlibqsBWg?t=307

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

1 minute ago, shaz2sxy said:

but the new riser screws dont screw into the metal they go straight to the chassis, he shows that here

https://youtu.be/c9PlibqsBWg?t=307

Yes, that is true. However it is still possible to damage the plating. As I said, it is also expensive and problematic for manufacture. I was simply explaining modern thinking with regards to holes in PCBs and how through plating is not considered good by most PCB manufacturers. While I doubt this will cause a problem, I do sometimes wonder if NZXT have been influenced by those vocal online suggesting through plating. We usually take advice from both trusted designers as well as our manufacturers.