Choosing between an ITX build and a laptop

Desultore

Hello!

I'm looking to upgrade my old computer of 5 years (i5 4690K, GTX 960) and I'm having a dilemma of choosing between two things. To help you understand me better - I'm working at a robotics startup and I am mostly programming firmware but also do CAD and PCB designing, and on evenings from time to time I play some games (so an external GPU is a must). The main thing is that on workdays I'm living at one place and on weekends I'm in another - so a full fledged ATX system is out of the question because I want to use same computer between my homes. Currently I have the old computer at one house and an MSI GF63 laptop (i7 8750H, GTX 1050) at the other one.

My problem is that I want to play more demanding games, like PUBG (that's kinda it :D). So I have thought of two options - to build an ITX computer and move it every weekend (which is not really a problem as I'm driving always with my own car) or to buy a new relatively powerful laptop. Personally I would like to get rid of my current laptop, build and ITX PC I can move and buy an ultrabook as my secondary computer.

So the question is - What would you choose if you were in my shoes? The reason I don't really want to get a laptop is that I have external everything at both of my places and that the laptop will probably die faster on me because of thermals as I want my computer to last about 5 years as the last one has.

Thank you!

i would have bought a 4750g on aliexpress and put it in an itx case

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 minutes ago, Acoreus said:

Hmm, if I could get a good price in Europe for 2070 it seems like a very good option. What do you think of the longevity if the computer is running hot? Like my MSI laptop, while gaming on PUBG Lite, is basically always at 95 degrees.

1 minute ago, Desultore said:

Hmm, if I could get a good price in Europe for 2070 it seems like a very good option. What do you think of the longevity if the computer is running hot? Like my MSI laptop, while gaming on PUBG Lite, is basically always at 95 degrees.

I'd suggest cleaning your current laptop and seeing if that drops the temps any.

I think the laptop should last a good 3-5 years of heavy use with no intervention though. And if you keep up on keeping the heatsinks clean it should last a long time. 

Just now, Acoreus said:

I'd suggest cleaning your current laptop and seeing if that drops the temps any.

I think the laptop should last a good 3-5 years of heavy use with no intervention though. And if you keep up on keeping the heatsinks clean it should last a long time. 

Nah, I'm cleaning quite regularly. It's just that it's quite thin and light (1,8kg) and the heat is probably a bit too much. That's why I want one computer to be a chunky laptop or ITX build and the other an ultrabook. But yeah, thanks for the recommendation!