LG 32GK650F + DP cable + 1080Ti -> display settings questions

koko_1989
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
3 hours ago, koko_1989 said:

Hi all,

I have only recently discovered that chroma subsampling is a thing : D
And when I found out that 4:4:4 is supposed to be the best on a main PC display with lots of text I wanted to try it.

No, RGB is the best.

YCbCr 4:4:4 is the best out of the YCbCr modes because it doesn't use subsampling, but still uses limited range which slightly reduces color depth (for historical technical reasons).

Always use RGB for PC displays. YCbCr is used for TVs.

Hi all,

And when I found out that 4:4:4 is supposed to be the best on a main PC display with lots of text I wanted to try it.

But when I set mine to 4:4:4 it limits another setting here:

image.png.be68189fef7920a31a58486240d4c33b.png

(not sure how I could resize this image, I hope it won't be way too large)

Output color format has 3 options, RGB, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4. Output dynamic range has 2 options, Full or Limited.

ONLY the RGB color format allows the Full dynamic range option.

4:2:2 and 4:4:4 both limit it to Limited.

I wonder, why this is and what exactly is the tradeoff?

Is there any way for me to set 4:4:4 with Full range?

( P.S.: It might be a relevant factor that I overall have 4 displays connected to that 1080Ti.
This main 1440p one, and 2 1080p smaller ones on each side of it, and then a 1080p TV on another table. )

See what happens if you just have 1 monitor/TV connected to your 1080 Ti. If you can then set it to 4:4:4 and full range, you know the answer.

Then, add one at a time until it swaps back to limited.

If not, I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's a Pascal quirk. I have no idea if that's true or not though - the card I'm using is a Kepler card.

elephants

Ignore the 'limited' bit. its not changeable because it isnt an option for YCbCr 444.

444 YCbCr is 'full'

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, koko_1989 said:

Hi all,

No, RGB is the best.

YCbCr 4:4:4 is the best out of the YCbCr modes because it doesn't use subsampling, but still uses limited range which slightly reduces color depth (for historical technical reasons).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 8:33 PM, Glenwing said:

No, RGB is the best.

Makes sense, I think this answers it, thank you very much sir!