Why do I need Usb Type C on my motherboard ?

Go to solution Solved by Arika,

there are numerous type-c to type-c devices.

Think external SSDs

Pen displays

USB Hubs if you need more ports (type-c usually has a higher throughput)

it could be a thunderbolt port and therefore compatible with thunderbolt devices.

you don't "need" type-c, but it's better to have it and not need it than not have it when you do need it.

Would I be able to transfer files from one computer to another if I plug the Type - C on the motherboard and the Type-A on another computer?

no

I was picking parts for my first build and I saw that the motherboard that I had selected ( Asus Prime Z490-A ) had a USB Type C Port. Since this is an output port ( this is just my assumption, if you know better, please enlighten me ) and most USB-C cables have a Type-A on one side and a Type - C on the other, if I plug the male Type - C into the female Type - C Port on the back I/O of the motherboard, I would have an unplugged male USB Type-A connector. So in order to plug it somewhere, you know since the cable is supposed to be plugged on both ends, I would need a device with a female USB - A Port. So far the only possible devices that I could think of are the I/O at the back, maybe some speakers, maybe another computer?

Would I be able to transfer files from one computer to another if I plug the Type - C on the motherboard and the Type-A on another computer?

USB to USB networking is possible but not as straight forward like a lan cable.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Think external SSDs

Pen displays

it could be a thunderbolt port and therefore compatible with thunderbolt devices.

you don't "need" type-c, but it's better to have it and not need it than not have it when you do need it.

no

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, OptimusPrime23 said:

most USB-C cables have a Type-A on one side and a Type - C on the other

They used to, but that's not really the case anymore. A lot of devices come with c - c cables these days

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Think external SSDs

Pen displays

no

Thank you.