Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do I need Usb Type C on my motherboard ?

Go to solution Solved by Arika S,

there are numerous type-c to type-c devices.

Think external SSDs

Pen displays

USB Hubs if you need more ports (type-c usually has a higher throughput)

it could be a thunderbolt port and therefore compatible with thunderbolt devices.

you don't "need" type-c, but it's better to have it and not need it than not have it when you do need it.

Would I be able to transfer files from one computer to another if I plug the Type - C on the motherboard and the Type-A on another computer?

no

I was picking parts for my first build and I saw that the motherboard that I had selected ( Asus Prime Z490-A ) had a USB Type C Port. Since this is an output port ( this is just my assumption, if you know better, please enlighten me ) and most USB-C cables have a Type-A on one side and a Type - C on the other, if I plug the male Type - C into the female Type - C Port on the back I/O of the motherboard, I would have an unplugged male USB Type-A connector. So in order to plug it somewhere, you know since the cable is supposed to be plugged on both ends, I would need a device with a female USB - A Port. So far the only possible devices that I could think of are the I/O at the back, maybe some speakers, maybe another computer?

Would I be able to transfer files from one computer to another if I plug the Type - C on the motherboard and the Type-A on another computer?

USB to USB networking is possible but not as straight forward like a lan cable.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Think external SSDs

Pen displays

it could be a thunderbolt port and therefore compatible with thunderbolt devices.

you don't "need" type-c, but it's better to have it and not need it than not have it when you do need it.

no

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Don't dilute <good thing> by always trying to focus on, and drag conversation back to, <bad thing>.

13 minutes ago, OptimusPrime23 said:

most USB-C cables have a Type-A on one side and a Type - C on the other

They used to, but that's not really the case anymore. A lot of devices come with c - c cables these days

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Think external SSDs

Pen displays

no

Thank you.

* thread cleaned *

Please stay on-topic, and if you're unable, or unwilling, to help, then there's not reason to reply.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in