Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this a thing? (GPU power)

I have an old HP z620 workstation that I'm refurbishing, and I'm interested in a Radeon RX 6800XT. However, the PSU only has 2 6-pin cables, when the GPU needs 2 8-pin. Is it safe to use two single 6-8 pin adapters, or is there something like a small PSU with only an 8-pin connector that I can just plug into the wall, like a voltage adapter?

Thanks.

Is it plugged in?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The PSU that pc comes with would probably not be enough to run a 6800XT. Can you open it and take a picture of the PSU with Wattage and everything else?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically it could, assuming the cables are beefy enough, but I wouldn't recommend it. Grab a new power supply while you're at it. if it's as old as I think it is (Sandy Bridge Xeon?) the power supply probably won't even be able to reliably deliver its rated wattage anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

AMD says 750w is the minimum. Is it 750w or better?

 

Im guessing it’s not if it’s only got 6 pin power.

AMD R5 3600XT @ 4500MHz 1.337v/Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT/TY-143/TFX
Asus Strix B550-F | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 1900MHz 14-15-15-35 1T 1.5v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified@ 1495/1953 | WD SN750 500GB+1TB, Intel 545S 256x2
Fractal Design Meshify C | 5x 120x38, 1x 92x35, 1x TY147B | CM Silent Pro M2 850

Link to post
Share on other sites

-> Moved to Power Supplies

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 7:05 AM, DankDeuxez said:

The PSU that pc comes with would probably not be enough to run a 6800XT. Can you open it and take a picture of the PSU with Wattage and everything else?

It's a 800w PSU. No specs are listed, even on the top or sides if pulled out.

 

Is it plugged in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, KemoKa said:

Technically it could, assuming the cables are beefy enough, but I wouldn't recommend it. Grab a new power supply while you're at it. if it's as old as I think it is (Sandy Bridge Xeon?) the power supply probably won't even be able to reliably deliver its rated wattage anymore.

It's a 90% efficiency PSU, at 800w. The trouble is, I can't just get a new PSU, since it's a dual processor machine, and needs 2 CPU connectors. Each of its Sandy Bridge Xeon e5-2690v2's consume 135W each.

Is it plugged in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, freeagent said:

AMD says 750w is the minimum. Is it 750w or better?

 

Im guessing it’s not if it’s only got 6 pin power.

It's a 90+ gold, at 800W

Is it plugged in?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×