Can someone explain to me how bad this PSU is?

AlexArslan

Hello, I was interested in the Gigabyte P750GM and came across this video here by Hardware Busters, my question is, apart from that OPP being bad, can someone explain to me how dangerous this PSU is? Is this a hardware/motherboard killer? 

I'm generally not concerned about the OPP, since my system will never pull near 750w even if I overclocked them all. 

Here are the cons in the video: 

• My sample blew sky-high during OPP evaluation
• Over power protection is not properly set
• Lousy transient response at +12 V and 3.3 V
• Low-quality FETs on the primary side
• Unknown caps used on the secondary side
• They advertise an HDB fan, but I found a rifle bearing one, instead
• Very low efficiency with 2% load
• Low efficiency at 5VSB
• Lower than 17 ms hold-up time
• Non-accurate power ok signal
• EPS cable should be 650 mm long, at least
• Short distance between peripheral connectors
• Not fully compatible with the newest ATX specification (v2.52)

Additional question: which tier would you think this PSU fit into the psu tier list?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you! 

It won't kill any hardware if it explodes. But I would never use a PSU that explodes if overloaded by such a tiny margin as 110%, even if I was convinced my setup would never overload it. 

17 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

It won't kill any hardware if it explodes. But I would never use a PSU that explodes if overloaded by such a tiny margin as 110%, even if I was convinced my setup would never overload it. 

Thank you for the response, but I think they overloaded it to 130% (900w) 

Here are the cons in the video:

• My sample blew sky-high during OPP evaluation
• Over power protection is not properly set
• Lousy transient response at +12 V and 3.3 V
• Low-quality FETs on the primary side
• Unknown caps used on the secondary side
• They advertise an HDB fan, but I found a rifle bearing one, instead
• Very low efficiency with 2% load
• Low efficiency at 5VSB
• Lower than 17 ms hold-up time
• Non-accurate power ok signal
• EPS cable should be 650 mm long, at least
• Short distance between peripheral connectors
• Not fully compatible with the newest ATX specification (v2.52)

Is the lousy transient response at +12 V and 3.3 V and low efficiency at 5VSB worrying?
Apart from that, can this PSU weaken/deteriorate other hardware like the motherboard due to its supposedly bad performance based on the review?
Would this PSU fit in the B tier on the PSU tier list?

57 minutes ago, AlexArslan said:

Would this PSU fit in the B tier on the PSU tier list?

It would not.

I would just go with a reliable 650 or 550 watt psu from the B teir.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 hour ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

It would not.

I would just go with a reliable 650 or 550 watt psu from the B teir.

Noted, but is it that dangerous or will it damage other components when used? I really like how small it is, and given the current shortage, it's good for value, I guess. 

2 hours ago, AlexArslan said:

Thank you for the response, but I think they overloaded it to 130% (900w) 

Right, yes.

2 hours ago, AlexArslan said:

Is the lousy transient response at +12 V and 3.3 V and low efficiency at 5VSB worrying?
Apart from that, can this PSU weaken/deteriorate other hardware like the motherboard due to its supposedly bad performance based on the review?

Lousy transient response at +12V means it's possible the PSU will shut down when you try to use it with a high-transient card, like RTX3080, 3090, 2080Ti and so on.

Unknown capacitors could mean they're low quality, and if they deteriorate fast and far enough to stop filtering ripple to acceptable levels, the ripple will deteriorate other components in the PC.

37 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Right, yes.

Lousy transient response at +12V means it's possible the PSU will shut down when you try to use it with a high-transient card, like RTX3080, 3090, 2080Ti and so on.

Unknown capacitors could mean they're low quality, and if they deteriorate fast and far enough to stop filtering ripple to acceptable levels, the ripple will deteriorate other components in the PC.

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me! 

How about the 5VSB thing? 

1 hour ago, AlexArslan said:

How about the 5VSB thing? 

Low efficiency at +5VSB (here 74.55%) means that if something draws 5W from this rail, the PSU needs to draw 6.71W from the wall to supply this power.

If that rail was "very efficient" instead (like 77.45% like in Super Flower Leadex III ARGB Gold 650 W review), it would instead draw 6.45W from the wall.

2 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Low efficiency at +5VSB (here 74.55%) means that if something draws 5W from this rail, the PSU needs to draw 6.71W from the wall to supply this power.

If that rail was "very efficient" instead (like 77.45% like in Super Flower Leadex III ARGB Gold 650 W review), it would instead draw 6.45W from the wall.

Is that really a big deal or can damage my components in any way? 

I've asked my friend who owns this PSU, and he tells me that when he shuts down his PC, sometimes the LEDs on his speakers, headset stand, and headset are still on but turn off after a while. Would this be a big concern? Thank you for all your inputs so far, btw. 

Basically, it's a good topology that uses cheap parts.

So that's what we have to deal with now.  People that are "aware" of what LLC and DC to DC are will now focus on that without consideration of the actual parts used.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Basically, it's a good topology that uses cheap parts.

So that's what we have to deal with now.  People that are "aware" of what LLC and DC to DC are will now focus on that without consideration of the actual parts used.

So you're saying the performance is overall good but the parts are bad? 

What parts would you recommend for a good PSU? Gigabyte claims it uses Japanese capacitors but basing off the review I think they are no-name cheap ones. 

Sorry, kinda new to building and I'm stumped on power supplies but I'm really trying hard to learn which one to pick...