msi z490 fan control any good?

YSL_know_plug

Hey folks,

I wanna get my first MSI motherboard ever and i wanted to know if you have had any good experience with the Z490 fan control, since thats going to be a feature i would like to use, i havent had purely good experience with fan control software

thanks for the help!

5 hours ago, YSL_know_plug said:

nobody can help`?

Posting to correct subforum will help. Moved to Cooling.

Adding that I don't have current experience with MSI. Last board I used was Z97 and then it was good for my needs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What fan control software are you using? I've used a couple MSI boards from X370/X470, and the default control suite (Command Center) is very simplistic, as is the BIOS fan control. But it works, as long as you just want to tie your fan speed to your CPU temperature or set a constant speed. Asus's fan control software is probably the best motherboard tied software I've used, and can tie any fan to any temperature, including addon temperature sensors.

I guess you'd need to expand on what features or abilities you're looking for to get a better recommendation on a solution for your use case.

8 hours ago, BHJohnson said:

What fan control software are you using? I've used a couple MSI boards from X370/X470, and the default control suite (Command Center) is very simplistic, as is the BIOS fan control. But it works, as long as you just want to tie your fan speed to your CPU temperature or set a constant speed. Asus's fan control software is probably the best motherboard tied software I've used, and can tie any fan to any temperature, including addon temperature sensors.

I guess you'd need to expand on what features or abilities you're looking for to get a better recommendation on a solution for your use case.

17 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Posting to correct subforum will help. Moved to Cooling.

Adding that I don't have current experience with MSI. Last board I used was Z97 and then it was good for my needs.

making a fan profile linked to my CPU would be fine for me. I just wasnt completely happy with speedfan and i dont want to rely on special software. For my price range the MSI z490-a pro is the best mobo in terms of VRM performance so i really want that, and its good to know that the motherboard has good features. My current Z97 doesnt even have fan control or at least i havent found the feature xD

1 minute ago, YSL_know_plug said:

making a fan profile linked to my CPU would be fine for me. I just wasnt completely happy with speedfan and i dont want to rely on special software. For my price range the MSI z490-a pro is the best mobo in terms of VRM performance so i really want that, and its good to know that the motherboard has good features. My current Z97 doesnt even have fan control or at least i havent found the feature xD

Currently on MSI? They have Command Center which is linked to BIOS controls. Controlling 3pins only had 60% as minimum, but for the build it was fine. And better than the Gigabyte Z87 I have (was building for a friend).

So the current gen should have things bit better. Like curve per header. I don't know if 3pin support is better, most of the time I help ppl are using PWMs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You don't need to install Command Center at all on an MSI board. You can set all the same curves in the BIOS. You obviously lose the ability to adjust fans and CPU clocks on the fly, but that doesn't really matter on a daily driver.

My X370 board had 50% as the minimum fan speed for voltage controlled fans. If that matters to you.

9 hours ago, BHJohnson said:

You don't need to install Command Center at all on an MSI board. You can set all the same curves in the BIOS. You obviously lose the ability to adjust fans and CPU clocks on the fly, but that doesn't really matter on a daily driver.

My X370 board had 50% as the minimum fan speed for voltage controlled fans. If that matters to you.

oh that would matter, i replaced the stock nzxt fans because they ran at 900rpm which is unbearable for non gaming use, but i will be getting noctua low noise adapters too which should help. i guess there is no way around using software for fan control, what software do you folks recommend?.

PS: nevermind, all my fans are PWM and not voltage controlled, so i will be fine