Could I upgrade to the 6800xt with these parts

WilltheBillKiller

Hello all,

I have been out of the build seen for a hot minute. Really I just dabbled a little. Any ways I plan to start upgrading my rig as it is nearing the end of its useful life with the newer games coming out. What I want to do is upgrade my gpu to the 6800xt but don't know if my motherboard can except it. I do have plans to upgrade every part eventually and will upgrade motherboard and cpu when ddr5 is a bigger thing. I mainly game and build hobby game code on it. The new COD game is taking all she has. So with my rambling I just want to know if the upgrade would work or what i would need to upgrade with recommendations.

SPECS

Motherboard Gigabite x99-ud3p-cf

CPU i7 5820K@ 3.45 hz

GPU NVIDIA Geforce GTX680

RAM 16gb DDR4  2133 ripjaw 4x4

SSD Samsung 850 EVO

psu SEASONIC Seasonic X-750 750W 80 PLUS Gold ATX12V

Thank you all for the help.

The motherboard isn't really the issue, and I don't espect pcie 3.0 to be an issue for RX6000 series.
 The real "issue" tho, could be a CPU bottleneck. 
At what resolution would you play with the 6800XT ?

13 minutes ago, Neutraliz said:

The motherboard isn't really the issue, and I don't espect pcie 3.0 to be an issue for RX6000 series.

1080p is nice but i was thinking of moving up to 1440.

12 minutes ago, Neutraliz said:

just because one or two games might bottleneck doesnt mean he should get the gpu. many modern games dont or barely bottleneck my gtx 1080 ti and i have an i5 4690k..Also more and more games support higher thread count cpus , which games are you gonna play at which resolution with which hertz/fps?

15 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

just because one or two games might bottleneck doesnt mean he should get the gpu. many modern games dont or barely bottleneck my gtx 1080 ti and i have an i5 4690k..Also more and more games support higher thread count cpus , which games are you gonna play at which resolution with which hertz/fps?

Right now I am playing Off World Trading Company, Star Craft II, and Sim City all run fine.   COD its 1080p 30hz 55fps with lowest settings.. I really only play COD because of friends but it currently shuts down every so often from overworking the d gpu( i have it over clocked but runs stable it is stable).  In the furture I will be playing the new elder scroll, fallout, cyber punk 2077, and others following that style I look at this as an upgrade for now with more parts upgrades in the next 2 yrs. 

11 minutes ago, WilltheBillKiller said:

Right now I am playing Off World Trading Company, Star Craft II, and Sim City all run fine.   COD its 1080p 30hz 55fps with lowest settings.. I really only play COD because of friends but it currently shuts down every so often from overworking the d gpu( i have it over clocked but runs stable it is stable).  In the furture I will be playing the new elder scroll, fallout, cyber punk 2077, and others following that style I look at this as an upgrade for now with more parts upgrades in the next 2 yrs. 

For the cost of a 6800XT you could most likely put together a mobo/cpu/memory and lower end GPU for the money which would give you a more across the board upgrade with the potential to utilize a this gen GPU later. That would be my thoughts but that would means getting a GPU now knowing you would be looking to upgrade it fairly soon

With regards to DDR5 I don't see it being consumer tech anytime soon

8 minutes ago, Chris Fortune said:

For the cost of a 6800XT you could most likely put together a mobo/cpu/memory and lower end GPU for the money which would give you a more across the board upgrade with the potential to utilize a this gen GPU later. That would be my thoughts but that would means getting a GPU now knowing you would be looking to upgrade it fairly soon

With regards to DDR5 I don't see it being consumer tech anytime soon

no sane person would upgrade an i7 5820k...dude..on what planet do you live? If it wasnt for the fact that half of the expansion connectors dont work my mobo i would still stick to my i5, you know that you can just play older games still if newer ones dont run, i have been playing on BF4 and BF3 and BF1 and BF 5 only the game modes that run 50-60fps, so with a little flexibility you can use such a cpu for quite some time as long as it works properly. Whether you play a game now or in 2 years doesnt really matter anyways if its a singleplayer game especially

I did say "my" path would be that, my reasoning is simply that you CAN get those parts now and at some future date this gen GPUs will be more commonly available.

4 hours ago, WilltheBillKiller said:

Ya it's a bare minimum for this GPU, but you'll still get CPU bound pretty heavly. 

I guess my thing I didnt mention is I have about 900 to work with. So I was figuring getting the gpu this coming year when supplies are better then next year upgrade cpu cooling and the year after that motherboard and cpu. I was hoping that my cpu could hold up well even if not using the full force of the gpu. I didnt realize the cpu was that bad.

Ignore any naysayers, that CPU is still pretty viable for games, though you might be bottlenecked at lower res like 1080P with games that are CPU intensive. But as long as framerates stay in the playable or smooth range, it should not matter. I have an Intel i7 3960X on an X79 mobo, a 6C/12T CPU that's getting kinda long in the tooth (older than the OP's), but I have paired with a PowerColor RX Vega64 Red Devil (previously, a GB RX Vega64 Gaming OC), and I'm able to play all modern games with reasonable ingame setting and still net quite playable framerates @ 3440x1440.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

5 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Ignore any naysayers, that CPU is still pretty viable for games, though you might be bottlenecked at lower res like 1080P with games that are CPU intensive. But as long as framerates stay in the playable or smooth range, it should not matter. I have an Intel i7 3960X on an X79 mobo, a 6C/12T CPU that's getting kinda long in the tooth (older than the OP's), but I have paired with a PowerColor RX Vega64 Red Devil (previously, a GB RX Vega64 Gaming OC), and I'm able to play all modern games with reasonable ingame setting and still net quite playable framerates @ 3440x1440.

i have had the chance to try out 144hz g sync gaming PCs and you can barely notice the difference, but 144hz 1080p is much harder to run than 60hz 1440p. the only annoying thing is bad frametimes imo, but you can fix that by limiting the fps to your refresh rate usually. Also high hertz monitors are more expensive, a good60 or 75HZ 1440p panel tends to be cheaper than a 120hz+ 1080p panel (at least where i live). Also for day to day use a nice 27inch 1440p crisp monitor looks much better than a 24 inch 1080p panel

On 11/28/2020 at 11:50 AM, YSL_know_plug said:

no sane person would upgrade an i7 5820k..

Every sane person wold. Ryzen 5 5600x or 5800x has so much better single core performance that it would be huge.

Now to OP at 1080p you will be singe core bottlenecked. at 1440p not by much but i would get atleast the 1440p monitor for rtx 3080

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

13 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Ignore any naysayers, that CPU is still pretty viable for games, though you might be bottlenecked at lower res like 1080P with games that are CPU intensive.

Well, I agree it would still be more than playable with this CPU combined with a 6800XT. 100%. That's not the issue at all.
The only thing is, you would still get CPU bound in 1440p, and in 1080 espacially, and that would mean that you are lefting some performances on the table.
And for a build that feature a 6800XT... I don't think that's a killer, but that's certainly at least a little bit annoying to not have the full performances of a $649 GPU ( and that's msrp, not really real prices ).  

I would suggest to upgrade the GPU now, but maybe the all plateform down the line with a faster CPU. 

19 hours ago, WilltheBillKiller said:

I didnt realize the cpu was that bad.

It's definitly not that bad. No.
It's just a little too "slow" to exploit every bit of performances of a isanely fast GPU. That's it. It's gonna be really fast with your actual CPU. Just not as insanly fast as it could be, in 1080p & 1440p.
When you see it that way, I think it's a little bit more appropriate. 
If you're playing at 4k, well then you're GPU bound, so the 5820k isn't an issue at all anymore, really.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:12 AM, WilltheBillKiller said:

Just run at render scale of 200% at 1080p to remove most of the CPU from the equation. You'll get massively better visual fidelity as well.  A lot of people on this forum forget that this is a real thing that can be done, and isn't a bad thing to do.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Thank you all for the advice. I know that i couldn't pull full preformance now, but could upgrade cpu and motherboard later as my gpu was super old. Glad to here it will work out.