Adding cellular capabilities to a desktop or laptop

nickperry420

so here is the project, I want to do the the stuff on a computer that a cellphone can do, like make calls and send text messages and access the internet over the 4G LTE network

lets face it, today's cellphones are just crappy hand-held computers with mobile networking capabilities. overpriced junk is what's being sold to the mindless millennial's, with stupid apps and games.

so here is what i found on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E-Adapter-with-SIM-Card-Slot-for-3G-4G-WWAN-LTE-GPS-card/202719869031?hash=item2f330bb867:g:jsQAAOSw2fRdFQ7C&LH_ItemCondition=3

s-l1600.jpg

www.ebay.com

Sierra AirPrime MC7700 100Mbps HSPA+ 4G LTE 700MHz WWAN module Card+GPS | eBay

Components Included: sierra wireless MC7700 PCI-E 4G CARD X 1 PCS. Model No MC7700. Technologies HSDPA,LTE,DC-HSPA,HSPA+,EDGE,GPRS,GSM. Supports Multiple input/multiple output (MIMO) for use with LTE.
www.ebay.com
s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Network-Card-WiFi-Mini-PCIE-Express-to-PCI-E-Adapter-2-Antenna-US-v/154086842136?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200520130048&meid=35a5b9b626394ef39d0e0149c4a933cd&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=co&sd=133022142128&itm=154086842136&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

s-l1600.jpg

will this stuff do what i want

It's not the hardware that i think will limit you, it's the software.  How do you actually plan on sending the text messages or making calls?  Unless you are custom writing some phone-emulator program, you may as well just tether your phone to your computer.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

If you're looking for software, I do use Dell mobile connect to sync and respond to everything on my phone. Also some carriers like T-Mobile have software to make calls and sms on the computer

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

well i know i can text my phone over email thats easy 

• AT&T: number@txt.att.net (SMS), number@mms.att.net (MMS)
  • T-Mobile: number@tmomail.net (SMS & MMS)
  • Verizon: number@vtext.com (SMS), number@vzwpix.com (MMS)
  • Sprint: number@messaging.sprintpcs.com (SMS), number@pm.sprint.com (MMS)
  • Xfinity Mobile: number@vtext.com (SMS), number@mypixmessages.com (MMS)
  • Virgin Mobile: number@vmobl.com (SMS), number@vmpix.com (MMS)
  • Tracfone: number@mmst5.tracfone.com (MMS)
  • Simple Mobile: number@smtext.com (SMS)
  • Mint Mobile: number@mailmymobile.net (SMS)
  • Red Pocket: number@vtext.com (SMS)
  • Metro PCS: number@mymetropcs.com (SMS & MMS)
  • Boost Mobile: number@sms.myboostmobile.com (SMS), number@myboostmobile.com (MMS)
  • Cricket: number@sms.cricketwireless.net (SMS), number@mms.cricketwireless.net (MMS)
  • Republic Wireless: number@text.republicwireless.com (SMS)
  • Google Fi (Project Fi): number@msg.fi.google.com (SMS & MMS)
  • U.S. Cellular: number@email.uscc.net (SMS), number@mms.uscc.net (MMS)
  • Ting: number@message.ting.com
  • Consumer Cellular: number@mailmymobile.net
  • C-Spire: number@cspire1.com
  • Page Plus: number@vtext.com

so when you get a cell phone number your just getting a email account with that carrier 

2 minutes ago, nickperry420 said:

so when you get a cell phone number your just getting a email account with that carrier 

If your gonna do this, Id just get a data only cellular plan, and then get a voip soluiton for calling, and a simmilar solution for texting. Then you only have to deal with IP packets. 

But there are lots of laptops with cellular build in(look at business grade laptop), and external modems for desktops.

i need voice over LTE, VoLTE, and that chip has 3 antennas, AUX, MAIN, GPS i assume that the aux is how it sends the voice 

Not sure any have VoLTE or voice in general because at that point you can use VoIP or just use a phone, much easier.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

so when you call a phone number from a cellphone what are you calling the sim card ICCID ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-phone/9wzdncrdtbwp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Microsoft Phone

Features

• Make voice and video calls over your cellular network or Wi-Fi.
  • Tired of hunting for the right number in your contacts? Just start entering a contact's name or phone number when dialing, and then pick the matching name and number to give them a call.
  • Listen to your voicemail and manage your messages right from the Phone app. No need to call your voicemail.
  • Record your phone calls-cellular, Voice over LTE, or Wi-Fi for future use and playback (requires consent from all parties on the line).
  • Reduce the number of unwanted calls by blocking numbers from within your call history.

23 hours ago, nickperry420 said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-phone/9wzdncrdtbwp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Microsoft Phone

Features

• Make voice and video calls over your cellular network or Wi-Fi.
  • Tired of hunting for the right number in your contacts? Just start entering a contact's name or phone number when dialing, and then pick the matching name and number to give them a call.
  • Listen to your voicemail and manage your messages right from the Phone app. No need to call your voicemail.
  • Record your phone calls-cellular, Voice over LTE, or Wi-Fi for future use and playback (requires consent from all parties on the line).
  • Reduce the number of unwanted calls by blocking numbers from within your call history.

Microsoft Phone in Windows 10 Mobile makes it easy to keep in touch with the people in your life.

Its a little misleading as it says Windows 10 in the requirements but pretty sure they mean Windows 10 Mobile, as in the phone OS.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 11/27/2020 at 8:29 PM, shoutingsteve said:

It's not the hardware that i think will limit you, it's the software.  How do you actually plan on sending the text messages or making calls?  Unless you are custom writing some phone-emulator program, you may as well just tether your phone to your computer.

The Sierra software for that modem does do that.

Aircards have been in laptops for years, most people just go for a USB option to plug it into their computer/laptop.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>