Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

May I Address Some Insensitivity?

Okay. So Linus likes to say "my rights end where yours begin". He also likes to make fun of people who use stones for spiritual purposes. Some of you may already see that disappointment, but let me clarify.

I am Pagan, which is an umbrella that includes many religions that are officially recognized by many governments. Many Pagans use stones for spiritual means just as Christians prayer, and Buddhists meditate. I think it's far past time to realize that even though these comments are meant to tease about a fad, they are as insensitive as saying "It's silly to go to church and pray".

Thank you for your time. I'd like to see discussion on this topic, but it's mainly just a rant.

For me, it's always been " Your rights end where mine begin". As far as religions and/or beliefs go, follow and practice what you are free to do. Just don't step on my toes stating what or who I follow/pray to doesn't exist. In the end, we will all know the truth.

Dell XPS 730X, Alienware 2.0 MB loaded with hybrid A11B bios, i7-990X, Nvidia GTX 980's in SLI, 12gb Critical Ballistix

7 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

For me, it's always been " Your rights end where mine begin". As far as religions and/or beliefs go, follow and practice what you are free to do. Just don't step on my toes stating what or who I follow/pray to doesn't exist. In the end, we will all know the truth.

I can get behind this. That's my problem that upsets me every time Linus starts teasing about shunganite.

2 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

This thread will end well.

I'm actually hoping some people will take it seriously. The more sensitive we are to others beliefs, the better the world can be.

2 hours ago, KageSong said:

I'm actually hoping some people will take it seriously. The more sensitive we are to others beliefs, the better the world can be.

I'm going to overgeneralize this a bit and fall back on analogies. You do certainly have some valid points. 

Hypersensitivity CAN be bad. VERY VERY bad. Hypersensitivity can ruin lives for no real benefit. 

The analog in the health sciences would be allergic reactions and autoimmune disorders. 
There is a VERY real argument for gradual exposure therapy. It can literally be a matter of life or death and it's generally easier than trying to make the entire world accommodate you (or limiting yourself greatly).

At the end of the day, there are tradeoffs in how situations are handled. You should be free to live your life, and Linus should be free to live his. You are likely not compelled to listen to him. Learn to handle "adversity" with grace. Your great great grandparents would laugh knowing that their progeny is more worried about being slighted than starving. You are not going to be crucified, excluded from economic opportunity or shunned. 

I am willing to bet that you have the capacity to overcome whatever adversity you perceive here and I'll argue that you have a responsibility to yourself and others to be the best/strongest you possible. (multiple aspects define good/strong, resilience is just one)

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

I mean, I try not to be dismissive of people's beliefs, but I don't know what the quote about rights has to do with anything. It's not an issue of rights/freedom. The freedom to practice and believe what you want includes the freedom to not believe in it and think it's BS. That doesn't mean expressing that opinion is always the best thing to do, but it's an issue of tact and respect, not rights. Dismissiveness of religion isn't a denial of freedom. 

Current System: MSI B450M Mortar Titanium, AMD Radeon 570 8GB (ASRock enclosure), AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RAM 3200 MHz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair 280X Chassis

Maybe it's the cynic in me, or maybe it's the "It's a Friday and I'd rather be posting about a rabbit" mood, but why care so much about someone else's personal beliefs? 

PC Setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 V1 8GB | Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM: 2x8GB Patriot DDR4 at 2400MHz | Storage: 256GB Inland Professional NVMe SSD, 120GB Inland Professional SATA SSD and 2TB WD Blue 2.5" 5400rpm HDD | Case: Cooler Master N400 | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | PSU: EVGA G3 550 | Headphones: Sony MDR-7506 | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K65 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero | Capture cards: StarTech PEXHDCAP2 (for HDMI and 480p analog captures) and AVerMedia C027 (for interlaced captures) | Monitor: Dell 3008WFP

Local dickhead, PlayStation 2 enthusiast and VHS collector.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 67% (content loudness 3.4dB)

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

1 hour ago, KageSong said:

I never noticed his statements you proclaim.  

They're probably jokes. If not, who cares? 

This is prolly b8. 

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

LTT Fan Fiction:

PC game list: 

Welcome to the internet. Sorry your beliefs and feelings are not being validated by others.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

And? Linus is Linus. You don't need to listen to him if you don't want to. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you think that everyone should think the same thing and believe the same thing you do, maybe reevaluate the whole rights thing. and remember, a joke is a joke. and as long as the enjoyment derived from it is more than the offensiveness, I see no problem.

2 hours ago, KageSong said:

they are as insensitive as saying "It's silly to go to church and pray".

I see no problem with anyone saying that, nor saying something like that about your Pagan belief

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

-= Topic Locked =-

Simply put there are to types of discussions in forums that do not go well, Politics and Religion.

Fortunately for me our Community Standards makes this a simple problem to approach.

• No trolling or flame-bait.
    • This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and religious debates
  • No political content, regardless of your views.
    • If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remain clearly within tech and must not descend into politics
    • This covers all parts of the site, including status updates

COMMUNITY STANDARDS     |     TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES     |     FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |     F@H & BOINC Badge Request     |    F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER