Ryzen 5 5600x running at 85-91 C at 30-40% usage

aminJay

So, I just built my first PC using Ryzen 5 5600x cpu, Nvidia 3080 as gpu, and MSI gaming B550 carbon wifi as motherboard. After two days, I was playing cod cold war, and I noticed my cpu core temperature to be 91 C after just 30 minutes of play. The cooler I am using is the AMD stealth stock cooler which is not that great and ordered Noctua u12a after seeing these alarming temperatures, the fans were running at full speed and the cpu usage was around 35-40%. After watching some Youtube videos, I saw stock cooler goes around 88 at 100% cpu usage. The case I am using is P300A with two intake fans and two outtake fans, so temps drop really fast after I quit the game. Any tips of why this is happening?

are you overclocking at all? did you tighten the screws till they stopped?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

11 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

are you overclocking at all? did you tighten the screws till they stopped?

No, I am not overclocking at all. I am pretty sure I tightened the screws and made sure by slightly shaking the cooler to make sure it was in place.

7 minutes ago, aminJay said:

No, I am not overclocking at all. I am pretty sure I tightened the screws and made sure by slightly shaking the cooler to make sure it was in place.

the amd stock cooler is supposed to be tightened until it stops, it will be quite linear until you reach the correct tightness.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, PCoverclock said:

That series for TDP of 65 watts

1 minute ago, PCoverclock said:

Thermal paste?

The stock cooler had pre applied thermal paste, so I didn't apply any extra, and yes the cpu has a TDP of 65 watts.

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

the amd stock cooler is supposed to be tightened until it stops, it will be quite linear until you reach the correct tightness.

Thanks, I will open it up and check if its properly tightened. 

3 minutes ago, PCoverclock said:

Hmm does the air feel warm from the pccor the glass panel is it loud 

CPU fan does run at 100% while gaming so its loud, but as soon I close the game cpu goes down to 50 degrees in 5 min.

obvious solution would be to get an aftermarket cooler, especially with the sales going on. but aside from that, u might want to check fitment and also the thermal paste coverage. its possible u might have some uneven spreading or even uneven contact between the ihs and cooler

11 minutes ago, Sinsanatis said:

obvious solution would be to get an aftermarket cooler, especially with the sales going on. but aside from that, u might want to check fitment and also the thermal paste coverage. its possible u might have some uneven spreading or even uneven contact between the ihs and cooler

I just got the Noctua u12a, but was still surprised why the stock cooler is performing this bad. After opening it up will check how uneven the thermal paste spread is.

15 minutes ago, PCoverclock said:

Check fan curve

Fan is spinning perfectly fine, feel like something is wrong with how the thermal paste is or the contact between cpu and cooler is not that good.

24 minutes ago, aminJay said:

I just got the Noctua u12a, but was still surprised why the stock cooler is performing this bad. After opening it up will check how uneven the thermal paste spread is.

do u happen to have a picture of it?

It could be that its running with all core turbo enabled aswell.

When i got my Ryzen 5 3600X it was running at 4.4 ghz on all cores and really made my stock cooler work until i turned the all core turbo off in the Bios.

I have an Auros B550 Elite.

Regardless id check if the cooler is fully down because i do feel your pain when you install the stock cooler it feels like you are destroying everything when tightening it down usually id have to really force the last corner down to even get it to screw in no matter how much i tried to avoid it

tighten the screws properly, no need for aftermarket cooler at stock speeds 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

tighten the screws properly, no need for aftermarket cooler at stock speeds 

Just tightened the screw was able to tighten it by one fourth rotation on every screw. But the temps didn't go down. Still sitting on 42 idle and goes to 85 C in 5 min while gaming.

4 hours ago, PCoverclock said:

Check fan curve

So I set all my fans on full speed and my cpu fan ran at 100% while my temperature still being at 42-50C on boot and idle. 

IMAGE 2020-11-27 23:40:13.jpg

I did an AMD stress test. 100% usage temps reached 75C, ran it for 5 minutes. However, after that I opened COD and Valorant, cpu usage 30-40% and temps reached 80-90C. 

-= Topic moved to Troubleshooting =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER