Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will Filling m.2 slots affect graphics card performance ?

Hi guys probably a dumb question but will filling both m.2 slots on my asus z390-e board affect my graphics card performance? I have a 2080ti installed in the top slot and would use both m.2 slots for nvme drives. From my looking I don’t think it would. But thought someone on here may know for sure. I’ve included a picture of for some reason it may help .thank you for any insight in advance! 

image.jpg

Edited by Apark2241
Included picture

Using the first M.2 slot should lower the first PCI-e x16 slot to x8.

The second M.2 slot is most likely connected to the chipset and therefor connected via DMI, which means it has its own PCI-e lanes available, that don't cut into the 16 that are available to your GPU.

There shouldn't be any noticeable difference whether you have 8 oder 16 lanes available to the GPU.

TL;DR: It's fine.

05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)

10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2

20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

40Gb/s - USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4

Some Wallpapers I created

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Using the first M.2 slot should lower the first PCI-e x16 slot to x8.

The second M.2 slot is most likely connected to the chipset and therefor connected via DMI, which means it has its own PCI-e lanes available, that don't cut into the 16 that are available to your GPU.

There shouldn't be any noticeable difference whether you have 8 oder 16 lanes available to the GPU.

TL;DR: It's fine.

The M.2 slot/s don't affect the gpu. You would have to be using a pcie form factor ssd for that to happen.

Winter is Coming.

I don´t think so they come from the chipset, I wonder does anyone know how many PCi lanes does my msi z490 tomahawk have?

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

Corsair H100i pro XT 240mm

MSI z490 tomahawk

16 Gb (2 x 8 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 4000mhz - 16-16-16-34

MSI 1070TI titanium

12 hours ago, EspinalAndres said:

I don´t think so they come from the chipset, I wonder does anyone know how many PCi lanes does my msi z490 tomahawk have?

You have 16 pcie 3.0 lanes from the cpu, and 24 lanes from the chipset.

Winter is Coming.