(Help) Goldilocks and the 3 Power Adaptors

G3R489

So I need some help with some old hardware I’m trying to setup.  

So I got some old 10/100 Linksys switches & a WAP from an old company selling its old gear. (For context where I live, 1/4 people still use dialup so no fiber and slow copper cables, so I don’t need better).

Now, they are all exactly the same era, but have such different power adapters, only 1 is stock.

3 points Now:

16 port Switch uses 12V1A Stock AC Adaptor, however that achieved temperatures unlike I have ever felt after 5min of being plugged in, and made the room stink of molten plastic.

(Solved: It caught fire)

8 Port Swich uses 9V0.8A Adaptor, it powers on and works a treat, but has the second loudest coil whine I’ve ever heard (and I work with allot of electrical gear).

(Solved: Adapter running at constant 15V instead of its rated 9V)

The WAP uses a 5v2A Adaptor, but doesn’t seem to be getting enough power to turn on, though lights showed (however I did not plug this into Ethernet so it might be that).

Would appreciate some help if anyone here has these components, also neither of the switches have any reference of what power they should be using, WAP just says 5V on the bottom.

Models are

Linksys EZXS16W V1 (16 port)

Linksys EZXS88W V3 (8 port)

Linksys WAP11 V1.1

(TL;DR Bought old routers, 1 almost catching fire, 1 not working, 1 Screaming. )

image.jpg

Edited by G3R489
Switch caught fire and other one close, so one problem solved.

All the AC adapters you listed are the correct specifications for the model numbers you listed, so either the AC adapters are defective or the devices are. With used hardware there's always a chance that the items will be defective. See if you have any of the same spec AC adapters somewhere to try, those are fairly common specs. 

5 minutes ago, zhnu said:

I would start by tossing the melty boy away better safe than sorry.
EZXS16W 12V DC, 1A
EZXS88W 9V DC, 800 mA
Linksys WAP11 5.0 Volt, 2.0A
Confirmed in manuals:
https://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/EZXS55_88_16W_V42_34_23_UG_C-WEB.pdf
https://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/1224638352361/WAP11_ug,0.pdf

Maybe reset the WAP and see if it helps the power light should be on.
Also you can open them up and clean the pcb with isopropyl alcohol and see if there're bugs or other things living in there. 

Thank you so much for finding the manuals, I should’ve thought of that myself, but have been a bit panicked after almost starting a fire.

And I’ll give it a go with the WAP, and let you know how it goes.

Also I don’t throw stuff away, I harvest the parts if it’s truly gone, I just think it’s power Adaptor as that thing was as hotter than the heat sink in my toaster build.

6 minutes ago, The_russian said:

All the AC adapters you listed are the correct specifications for the model numbers you listed, so either the AC adapters are defective or the devices are. With used hardware there's always a chance that the items will be defective. See if you have any of the same spec AC adapters somewhere to try, those are fairly common specs. 

I’ll have a look about in the day for other power adapters. Thanks though for the help 👍

Found the issue with the 16 port Linksys router, it was litteraly on fire inside.   Idk what’s gone and blown up, but plugged it back in. A solid orange glow came from it, all lights were on so thought it could be a LED, unplugged it, and it litteraly was on fire inside. Then for good measure, plugged it in for a 3rd time, big spark, was definitely on fire.

Like this isn’t a joke, fully on fire and I hadn’t noticed.

Also before you wonder what’s wrong with me, I own a tonne of old electrical stuff.   I have a controlled electrical fire about 2 times a month on average.

13 minutes ago, zhnu said:

This only a scratch, also with old electronics it's always better to look inside first, you can have a dead bug or something of the sort causing shorts and then magic smoke.

Yeah, but this was weird, no brownish yellow smoke, just blatant cracking fire, then nothing.   Looks like 2 diodes, maybe even LED’s, but the solder had corroded and shorted them together.    1 is fire damaged and smoked, the other has popped out of existence.

Will fix it soon, as nothing important is damaged.

Random update, found why it caught fire, the AC-DC Adaptor is throwing out 17+ Volts instead of 12 Volts, I will check the other adapters in a bit.