Buy last gen gpu or wait for availability?

abraham5712

So I upgraded mi pc back in September, everything but the gpu (1060 6gb). I was expecting to buy a new gpu, but for obvious I couldn't. I bought a new monitor (1440p 144hz) but the 1060 isn't good enough. I am hearing there won't be good availability of ampere and rdna2 until q1 2021. In my country this is uncertain, could  even be more time. 

So would it be reasonable to buy a rdna or Turing gpu, in the meantime?

Just now, abraham5712 said:

So I upgraded mi pc back in September, everything but the gpu (1060 6gb). I was expecting to buy a new gpu, but for obvious I couldn't. I bought a new monitor (1440p 144hz) but the 1060 isn't good enough. I am hearing there won't be good availability of ampere and rdna2 until q1 2021. In my country this is uncertain, could  even be more time. 

There is no real difference between them in terms of features, so all that matters is price. I would say upgrade to a 2070 super at least. I personally just went from a 480 to a 2070 super and it is a 2x performance increase.

Price for 2080ti - 500

2080/super - 400-450

2070 Super - 350

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

If you can get a last gen gpu for cheap then sure. Like a 2070 for 300$ instead of a 3060. Otherwise I suggest waiting.

2 minutes ago, abraham5712 said:

What country, What budget.

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

Just now, Nickathom said:

There is no real difference between them in terms of features

Raytracing on the 3000 series is much better and there's also probably improvements to the nvenc encoder and what not.

Additionally it's unlikely he's going to find those gpu's outside of the US at those prices.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Raytracing on the 3000 series is much better and there's also probably improvements to the nvenc encoder and what not.

Additionally it's unlikely he's going to find those gpu's outside of the US at those prices.

How is it much better? The cores are better, but there are fewer of them. Compare the 3070 to the 2080ti. They are basically the same. 

It is probably going to be hard, but not impossible. I got a 2070 for 350 usd and I am from canada, where GPUs are generally significantly more expensive. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

12 minutes ago, Tika said:

What country, What budget.

México, there are some 3070 available but quite expensive (mostly from scalpers).  And I really want a 3080 or 6800xt. 

12 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

How is it much better? The cores are better, but there are fewer of them. Compare the 3070 to the 2080ti. They are basically the same. 

It is probably going to be hard, but not impossible. I got a 2070 for 350 usd and I am from canada, where GPUs are generally significantly more expensive. 

How does the 3070 have less cuda cores. It literally has 1536 more cores than the 2080ti. Also in Canada gpu's aren't significantly more expensive. You're still in North America. Look at mainland europe, in UK you can't find a 2070 used for under 400£, 500 euros in france and so on. It's even worse in less developed countries. You shouldn't assume anyone can just get a good deal just because you can.

15 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

How does the 3070 have less cuda cores. It literally has 1536 more cores than the 2080ti. Also in Canada gpu's aren't significantly more expensive. You're still in North America. Look at mainland europe, in UK you can't find a 2070 used for under 400£, 500 euros in france and so on. It's even worse in less developed countries. You shouldn't assume anyone can just get a good deal just because you can.

raytracing cores... dont give advice if you dont know what youre talking about

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

raytracing cores... dont give advice if you dont know what youre talking about

Perhaps don't use loosely defined terms next time so I can understand what you're actually talking about.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Perhaps don't use loosely defined terms next time so I can understand what you're actually talking about.

Context matters.

34 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

31 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

We were literally only talking about ray tracing, of course I was talking about the ray tracing cores. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200