How do i clean a Gigabyte GTX 1080?

Burrito_Potter

Just bought a second-hand Gigabyte GTX 1080 Turbo OC for my system, the thing is, i want to clean it, but i am worried about completely disassembling the whole thing and reapplying thermal compound (which i'm not good at nor have access to thermal pads), i just wanna remove the cover and clean the dust from within, i looked everywhere but found no pics, videos nor articles about how to remove the cover.
i hope i find an answer here!

a pic for reference 

spacer.png

Check the rear of the card to see if there are screws that go around the edge of the card that hold the cover on. You should be able to remove just those screws and not the 4 screws that holds the retention plate to provide pressure to the cooler on the GPU die. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

If you cant find a guide online just look at it yourself. The coolers really aren't that complicated. Just take a look where the screws go and if there are plastic clips and you will probably easily be able to pop it off. 

In case you need to take the entire cooler of, worry not, pads are reusable and thermal paste isn't as critical as it is on CPU's. You can put more on a GPU. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

also make sure you replace the thermal pads on the memory while you're going through the hassle to clean the GPU.

12 minutes ago, Hus317 said:

(which i'm not good at nor have access to thermal pads)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

To add another tip to what the others have said, if you do decide to disassemble the card be careful when you separate the cooler from the PCB. There is going to be a fan wire going between the two, slowly separate the cooler from the PCB until you have enough room to unplug the fan, then you can separate them all the way.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I do wonder why tho, they're easily accessible and cheap. and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to open up a gpu to "clean" it and then not have basic cooling materials at hand.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thank you everyone for your advice, so from what i understood that it's way better to take everything apart and clean/replace the thermal compound
i will do my best to do so, since the card does reach 82-86 C° few minutes after benchmarking

Unfortunately i only found one store that sells thermal pads, but i have no idea what thickness to get, is 0.5 mm enough or should i buy 1cm or 1.5cm? (i heard once on LTT video that a thick thermal pads can prevent the cooler from resting properly on the GPU die

and thanx again so much for your inputs :)

8 hours ago, Hus317 said:

Thank you everyone for your advice, so from what i understood that it's way better to take everything apart and clean/replace the thermal compound
i will do my best to do so, since the card does reach 82-86 C° few minutes after benchmarking

Unfortunately i only found one store that sells thermal pads, but i have no idea what thickness to get, is 0.5 mm enough or should i buy 1cm or 1.5cm? (i heard once on LTT video that a thick thermal pads can prevent the cooler from resting properly on the GPU die

and thanx again so much for your inputs :)

I've bought ranging sizes of thermal pads from a reputable seller on eBay. They were very inexpensive and you get your bang for your buck compared to Micro Center. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"