550W enough for RTX 3070?

Extrremee

As the title says;

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-550 80+ Gold

CPU: R5 3600

Prospective GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8GB

From various sources I've seen this card go from 270W-302W.

The math, and various calculators say that the power draw is around 475W and recommending 500W.

Thanks for any advice!

In theory it should work although I would strongly recommend against doing it as you could trigger the overcurrent protection on the power supply which would mean that your PC would shutdown randomly.

2 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

In theory it should work although I would strongly recommend against doing it as you could trigger the overcurrent protection on the power supply which would mean that your PC would shutdown randomly.

Would it be safe to try?

If I need a better PSU I'll get one, but...

Just now, Extrremee said:
2 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

Would it be safe to try?

if you have a hard disk in your system then I would take that out while doing testing as random power losses can affect hard disks. But the rest of your components will probably be fine. I would also recommend temporarily using Linux as windows gets confused when doing testing like this. 

10 minutes ago, Extrremee said:

From various sources I've seen this card go from 270W-302W.

That sounds a little excessive for a 3070.

Especially considering that you're only pairing it with a CPU that pulls 70-80W max, you should be fine with your current PSU.

If you already have the PSU though, then you might as well try it. If it does end up not working out, you can lower the power limit and/or undervolt the GPU, and then get a slightly beefier PSU.

7 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

You're saying it like protections aren't there specifically to prevent damage from occuring.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

also have a look at this thread its very similar to what your saying:

550W enough for RTX 3070? - Power Supplies - Linus Tech Tips

You linked my post lol.

12 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

if you have a hard disk in your system then I would take that out while doing testing as random power losses can affect hard disks. But the rest of your components will probably be fine. I would also recommend temporarily using Linux as windows gets confused when doing testing like this. 

I only have an SSD

10 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

That sounds a little excessive for a 3070.

Especially considering that you're only pairing it with a CPU that pulls 70-80W max, you should be fine with your current PSU.

If you already have the PSU though, then you might as well try it. If it does end up not working out, you can lower the power limit and/or undervolt the GPU, and then get a slightly beefier PSU.

You're saying it like protections aren't there specifically to prevent damage from occuring.

So I should be safe to at least attempt boot, and even some use with my current 550W?

6 minutes ago, Extrremee said:

So I should be safe to at least attempt boot, and even some use with my current 550W?

I don't see why you wouldn't be.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

20 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

I don't see why you wouldn't be.

I guess if he had a hard disk it could kill it