[Beginner Overclock Support Request] AMD Ryzen 5900x + Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero + G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GVK (4X8)

Hey tech friends, hoping you might be able to help point me in the right direction as this is my first build since my last pc 10 years ago, and I'd very much like to overlock the CPU and memory but truly have zero personal experience. I've pulled together some great parts and would love to get the most out of it.

Does anyone have a guide or specific set of instructions for reference to get started?

Thanks for your time and support, fingers crossed!

November 2020 Build:
AMD Ryzen 5900X
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Noctua NH-D15
G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GVK (4X8)
Seasonic Prime TX850 (80+ Platinum)
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
Fractal Meshify 2

6 minutes ago, Moar Speed said:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

if you're mostly gaming, leave it at stock.

if you do heavily multithreaded work, try to achieve an allcore overclock in bios. start with 1.35V and push the frequency up in 100mhz steps until it crashes. go back to the stable frequency and start lowering the voltage by 0.1v until it crashes. go back to the last stable voltage and there you go, overclock done.

8 minutes ago, Moar Speed said:

just enable DOCP and that's it. 

if you want more for ram, follow method 1 in this guide, however it will be a lots of wasted time for very little performance increase:

@boggy77Thank you so much for the quick reply, seems like a relatively straightforward process for the most part. I've watched a few videos that also comment on the minimal gains from playing around with memory overclocking, timing, etc. I think starting simple will be great in the meantime.

Any other recommendations to maximize performance in my new system?

Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, Moar Speed said:

@boggy77Thank you so much for the quick reply, seems like a relatively straightforward process for the most part. I've watched a few videos that also comment on the minimal gains from playing around with memory overclocking, timing, etc. I think starting simple will be great in the meantime.

Any other recommendations to maximize performance in my new system?

Thanks again!

Don't install software and bloatware that you don't need. Windows defender is a good enough antivirus if you're not all day long on dodgy websites. Try to avoid asus software unless absolutely necessary. Update chipset drivers and bios.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2020 at 6:08 PM, Moar Speed said:

Sorry, hope this is not off topic. Also building a system currently with x570 Dark Hero - Ryzen 9 5900x. Isn't this mobo daisy chained? Ram dilema. 2x16gb vs 4x8gb? Which will work better (aim is 1:1 invinity fabric at 2000 - using low latency 4000mhz ram)

• 1 month later...
On 28/12/2020 at 11:23 AM, Circular Reference Error said:

Sorry, hope this is not off topic. Also building a system currently with x570 Dark Hero - Ryzen 9 5900x. Isn't this mobo daisy chained? Ram dilema. 2x16gb vs 4x8gb? Which will work better (aim is 1:1 invinity fabric at 2000 - using low latency 4000mhz ram)

I'm far from being an expert on this but everything I've read and seen says 4x8gb is your best bet. I finally built the system this past week, overclocking this weekend when I can finally do some proper stress testing.