B450M Pro4 Possible issue with Ryzen 3800XT

RndUser

Hello All,

I have a "problem" with my newly updated PC.

Specs: R7 3800XT, Noctua NH-U12A, ASRock B450M Pro4, 16Gb Ballistix 3000MHz, MSI 2070S Gaming X, WD Balck Nvme x4, WD Blue Sata 2280, Samsung 860 Evo, Segate 2Tb SSHD, Asus WiFi Card, 650W Corsair Gold PSU.

So, before the current specs the machine was running a 2600 with a CM Hyper 212 Black. When I upgraded I just ran the BIOS update for the MoBo and installed the new CPU with the New Cooler.

The PC however, while just browsing the web (Edge browser) sometimes will run the Cooler FAN at very high speed and become noisy, which is annoying.

So, I installed the AMD chipset drivers to have better power management and set it to AMD Ryzen Balanced and still this is happening, plus the rig get quite noisy in games such as COD Warzone.

This noise is not the end of the world but based on YouTube reviews and Noctua website I expected to be quieter as I can't really distinguish the footsteps while playing.

Then I stumble across this video on YouTube B550 ITX Motherboard from "Optimum Tech" channel.

I know my is a B450, but in the video is highlighted (at 7 minutes and 10 seconds) that the ASRock B550 is running the CPU higher than the other boards and therefore generating higher temps.

This lead me to think that my noise issue could be related to the ASRock BIOS which is running my CPU at higher clocks.

So here my questions:
1 - Has anyone experienced anything similar with an ASRock board?

2 - Can a clean Windows 10 install fix this?

3 - Would an upgrade to a B550 MoBo from a different manufacturer help? (options are B550 Gaming Edge or B550 Tomahawk)

use hwinfo64 to monitor temepratures. if high, maybe try to remount cooler.

could also try a voltage offset in bios (-50mV)

Ok, I forgot these info.

I have already reseated the cooler once as in doubt of the spread for the thermal paste.

Additionally in HWINFO64 temps can go up to 60C in normal (no rendering or game) usage.

Will try with to understand how to complete the voltage reduction in BIOS and report back.

Voltage offset set to -50mV.

Now the PC is running with Discord, Edge, HWInfo64 and Telefgram the machine reached spike of 58C wiith average of 41.4C and minimum of 32.1C.

Later I'll try to re-run the auto FAN tuning of the MoBo and test it in game.

OK, I re-run the auto FAN tuning and while in idle the PC is quieter.

However when playing COD Warzone (to use the same test) the machine suffered sudden spikes of load reaching 80C max temp and being noisy.

While playing COD the active programs/tasks were: COD, Battlenet, HWINFO64, Task Manager, Nvidia Settings and Windows Defender.

Next step will be to reinstall the PC in order to check if it's windows related, but can it be Windows related?

Edit

If you have any other suggestion or final fix all input are welcome.

Additional update:

I checked if there was any new BIOS from ASRock for the Mobo, as a matter of fact there was a new one.

I reset the BIOS to default and installed the new version, then applied only the XMP profile for the memory.

Tested in COD and the pc while playing is almost silent, however max temp reached is 81.3C.

So, as of now the noise issue is fine but I will keep the situation under check for the next couple of days to see if there is any unusual usage/temp while in idle.

I know the 3800XT is supposed to be a hot guy but, is 81C fine or is my cooler (NH-U12A) not keeping up?