Sudden high CPU usage after some time at work

Problem: 16 thread CPU, 1st thread are 100% loaded, and 15th thread are ~80% loaded, all other cores floating ~5-10% load at idle.

PC spec i7 10700, b460 chipset, rtx 3080, nvme drive for system, sata ssd's for storage.

Process that causes it - ntoskrnl.exe

Most likely driver issue, but i tried to disable every single thing to see if it's make a difference, and it's not.

Windows toolkit also not really a helper, it shows that mostly CPU is busy with ntoskrnl.exe!KiIdleLoop but it's a path to nowhere.

Drivers - all latest.

Windows - fresh 20h2 install, before it was 1809, same problem happened there too. Not a windows problem it seems.

Stuff running on a background - afterburner, rivatuner, hwinfo.

Problem can appear instantly on boot, and can pop in an hour or so. No path really.

Any ideas?

What do you have for back ground services running? ntoskrnl is the windows kernel image so I would suspect that something else is making calls to some resource heavy function within the kernel rather than the kernel it self.

This could also be any IO device that could be causing it as well.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Wasn’t sure what it was so I looked it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntoskrnl.exe
while doing so I discovered that high cpu use is a thing that sometimes happens with it and there are fixes talked about online.

https://thegeekpage.com/ntoskrnl-exe/

There were a bunch of references but I don’t know how reliable they are

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, trag1c said:

What do you have for back ground services running? ntoskrnl is the windows kernel image so I would suspect that something else is making calls to some resource heavy function within the kernel rather than the kernel it self.

This could also be any IO device that could be causing it as well.

A bunch of services i assume. This PC is a workhorse, there is a lot of acronis services, adobe, asus generic stuff, net watchdogs and stuff, really plenty. Disabling network in bios didn't helped thought, it's unlikely to be network related.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wasn’t sure what it was so I looked it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntoskrnl.exe
while doing so I discovered that high cpu use is a thing that sometimes happens with it and there are fixes talked about online.

https://thegeekpage.com/ntoskrnl-exe/

There were a bunch of references but I don’t know how reliable they are

Tried everything from the list, we'll see. thanks. 

1 minute ago, DangerPizzaSlice said:

A bunch of services i assume. This PC is a workhorse, there is a lot of acronis services, adobe, asus generic stuff, net watchdogs and stuff, really plenty. Disabling network in bios didn't helped thought, it's unlikely to be network related.

That's a shitty problem to have seeing how absolutely anything could be causing it...You could possibly try booting up in safemode so that only the absolute essentials are loaded so that you could try starting things up 1 at a time till you replicate the issue.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz