X570 PCI lane help

piperz

Ive got a question about how pci lanes work. So im starting a new build and i want to have my GPU vertically mounted. Im planning to attach my gpu to the 2nd pci-e 4.0 x16 on my mobo using a pci extension. I have a sound card that i want to use and i dont want the pci entension to obstruct the other pci lanes if im going to use the first lane so thats why im planning to hook it up on the 2nd pci x16 lane. 

I have an Asus prime x570-pro mobo and phanteks p600s case. So does using the 2nd pci-e x16 slot instead of the 1st one will cause my pc to perform worse

I read the manual and i honestly have no idea if i fully understood it. Ill post a pic here of the manual if that helps

[Main Rig] CPU: Intel Core i7-2700k OC 4.2GHz Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3 GPU: MSI R9-280x RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz 4x4GB Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 PSU: OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus  SSD: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Display: 2x 21" Samsung LED 1080p 60Hz 5ms and upto 8TB extra storage

[Peripherals] Mouse1: Razer Naga Mouse2: Logitech Performance MX Mouse Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker Ultimate Headset: CM Storm Ceres 400 Webcam: Microsoft Lifecam HD-6000 Speaker: Logitech Speaker System Z523

SInce the gpu is in the second x16 slot, it will run at x8 no matter what. Won't affect performance though.

You cna put the sound card where ever you want, it won't affect performance.

I wouldn't bother installing the soundcard, unless you need it for some reason ? The onboard audio is very good these days, and that board has a good Audio codec.

What gpu are you using ? Just be mindful if using a 2.5/triple slot card as it will be close up to the side panel and that will affect temps.