Resolution stuck at 800x600

New pc with old hdd installed. I was very excited to see how this build runs so I opened a game without updating any drivers. The game is minecraft to be specific and I was using SEUS PTGI E7 shaders and I went to the shader settings to see the stuff I can mess with. I think I turned on something that has "penumbra" written on it and my pc just restarted on its own. While booting up I saw small pink artifacts, and my resolution is now stuck at 800x600. The artifacts can be seen everytime while the system is booting.

After downloading Geforce Experience and the drivers, I have the option to "Custom Install" or "Express Install". I tried both and it says installation complete but the option to install the driver is still there, and my resolution stays the same.

I unplugged and plugged the 8 and 6 pin connectors into my gpu and it changed the resolution to 2560x1440. Shutting down or restarting the pc will return my resolution to 800x600. I haven't tried running a game when I successfully changed my resolution to 2560x1440 again but I assume that it might restart on its own.

I have already tried these stuff and none of them worked:

1. Resetting pc
2. Uninstalling GPU from device manager and restarting pc. I have tried this multiple times.
3. Using DDU to delete all drivers for gpu
4. Updating windows
5. Updating monitor drivers

My monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A

My pc specs:

MOBO: MSI X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2070

MEMORY: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8gbx2 3200mhz

PSU: CORSAIR RM550X (I am not confident to say that this PSU is enough for my build because I am also using rgb stuff)

My display info right now:

Resolution: 800x600

Active signal resolution: 800x600

Refresh rate: 1hz 

Bit depth: 8 bit

Color format: RGB

Color space: SDR

In the device manager, my gpu has a warning sign.
It says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Any advise would be appreciated because I can't think of anything else to do to fix this problem.

EDIT: Just tried putting the gpu in a different pc and there was also an artifact so I think it's safe to say that my gpu is just broken. Thank you for everyone who replied to this topic! Much love to this community :)

Edited by Ryo Hosoda
Found the problem

Could possibly be a bad display cable? Do you have another display or cable you can test?

6 minutes ago, Ryo Hosoda said:

New pc with old hdd installed. I was very excited to see how this build runs so I opened a game without updating any drivers. The game is minecraft to be specific and I was using SEUS PTGI E7 shaders and I went to the shader settings to see the stuff I can mess with. I think I turned on something that has "penumbra" written on it and my pc just restarted on its own. While booting up I saw small pink artifacts, and my resolution is now stuck at 800x600. The artifacts can be seen everytime while the system is booting.

After downloading Geforce Experience and the drivers, I have the option to "Custom Install" or "Express Install". I tried both and it says installation complete but the option to install the driver is still there, and my resolution stays the same.

I unplugged and plugged the 8 and 6 pin connectors into my gpu and it changed the resolution to 2560x1440. Shutting down or restarting the pc will return my resolution to 800x600. I haven't tried running a game when I successfully changed my resolution to 2560x1440 again but I assume that it might restart on its own.

I have already tried these stuff and none of them worked:

1. Resetting pc
2. Uninstalling GPU from device manager and restarting pc. I have tried this multiple times.
3. Using DDU to delete all drivers for gpu
4. Updating windows
5. Updating monitor drivers

My monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A

My pc specs:

MOBO: MSI X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2070

MEMORY: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8gbx2 3200mhz

PSU: CORSAIR RM550X (I am not confident to say that this PSU is enough for my build because I am also using rgb stuff)

My display info right now:

Resolution: 800x600

Active signal resolution: 800x600

Refresh rate: 1hz 

Bit depth: 8 bit

Color format: RGB

Color space: SDR

In the device manager, my gpu has a warning sign.
It says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Any advise would be appreciated because I can't think of anything else to do to fix this problem.

Min PSU should be 650W, recommended 750W

21 minutes ago, Majorllama said:

Could possibly be a bad display cable? Do you have another display or cable you can test?

Tried both different cable and monitor just right now. Both cable and monitor wasn't the problem :(

27 minutes ago, Ryo Hosoda said:

Snip

You got a USB drive handy? Try creating an Ubuntu Live USB and booting from that, if Linux can use the GPU fully then it's a software problem with Windows, if Linux also has the same issue then it's probably a hardware problem.

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

Min PSU should be 650W, recommended 750W

I used pcpartpicker to check my total watts and it was 490+, so I just went with 550 watts but that probably might be it. I will ask my brother if I can try my gpu on his pc.

1 minute ago, Ryo Hosoda said:

I used pcpartpicker to check my total watts and it was 490+, so I just went with 550 watts but that probably might be it. I will ask my brother if I can try my gpu on his pc.

It's pretty unlikely to be the PSU, in my experience if the PSU is underpowered the GPU will outright refuse to boot at all.

Troubleshooting 101, before you start pulling out hardware always eliminate the none invasive options first. With it being a new build on an old install it's much more likely to be a software issue. You might end up having to reinstall Windows, booting Linux will let you know if it's a software issue or not.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

You got a USB drive handy? Try creating an Ubuntu Live USB and booting from that, if Linux can use the GPU fully then it's a software problem with Windows, if Linux also has the same issue then it's probably a hardware problem.

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version?

Thank you for your reply, I tried putting my gpu on anothet computer and there were artifacts so I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue.