Cost of 3080 and some other questions...

CuriousBro

I'm gearing up to buy an RTX 3080 and have no plans of overclocking. Reportedly, there have been issues with 3080s built with cheap capacitors. Is that only for overclocking? I'm also using a 1440p monitor with the intention of running games at max settings and at 144hz. Is overclocking needed here? Given what I want, which is the least expensive?

And it's black Friday, are there any deals worth buying now versus waiting for tax returns in a few months?

Motherboard: Asus Tuf X570-Plus | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x Eight-Core Processor | GPU: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10gb  | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 | Case: ATX Mid Tower Case | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB & 1TB M.2 | Display: Samsung C27HG70 27" 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms | Operating System: Windows 10

3 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

3080s built with cheap capacitors

they fixed that (i think)

3 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

And it's black Friday, are there any deals worth buying now versus waiting for tax returns in a few months?

I can't find any

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

4 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

Is overclocking needed here?

overclocking a 3080 gives max 5% extra perforamnce, so not really worth it. i wouldn't worry about capacitors, just get a card that has good reviews.

i doubt you'll find deals on a 3080 for black friday. most black friday deals are on storage ram and screens

19 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

I'm also using a 1440p monitor with the intention of running games at max settings and at 144hz

Depends on the game. Take a look at some benchmarks for games relevant to you.

19 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

Deals for the RTX 3080?
I doubt anyone is putting up an item for sale that has been impossible to keep in stock for more than a couple minutes for months now.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, CuriousBro said:

I'm gearing up to buy an RTX 3080 and have no plans of overclocking. Reportedly, there have been issues with 3080s built with cheap capacitors. Is that only for overclocking? I'm also using a 1440p monitor with the intention of running games at max settings and at 144hz. Is overclocking needed here? Given what I want, which is the least expensive?

a drivers update fixed that issue but yeah it was mostly when certain cards boosted too high while being overclocked

personally get whatever RTX 3080 you can find.  Availability has been horrid.  I missed out at launch and bought a scalped RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra but signed up for notifications and just got notified about products being held for me to purchase on November 12.  So it took almost two months for EVGA to fulfill launch day notification orders.     

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"