Two NIC - one for cache, one for Internet

Ollem

Hey kind visitor

I upgraded my PC (Win 10) and my FreeNAS with a second NIC. Most of what I tryed to do works so far but my loadingtime in the internet is not great. Probably because every query in my Browser goes first head on into my dead end.

NIC A = 10gig -> my upgrade

NIC B = 1gig -> onboard

On my PC I setup the NIC's like the following:

NIC A has priority over NIC B

NIC A 192.168.2.60 -> Gateway to 192.168.2.65 (FreeNAS)

NIC B 192.168.1.108 (DHCP) -> Gateway to 192.168.1.1 (Router)

What I think that happens with every query:

I open a website, the browser tells NIC A to go to the Website's IP -> NIC A can't go to the internet because FreeNAS isn't connected with my router -> then the query goes over NIC B and connects successfully.

That takes some time, with every query.

The reason why I've setup like this:

Caching downloads on FreeNAS (on a VM with docker but that should be a different topic, it already worked but with the slow NIC B) so when I download it, the query should go first to the FreeNAS over NIC A. If there is no cache, it should connect with NIC B to the external Servers. The setup of Lancache isn't finished yet, so I couldn't try if my plan works like this. 

Or is there a much easyer way to setup the network to cache with NIC A and get quick loading times in my Browser with NIC B?

Any help is appriciated

Cheers

Manu

Check your routing table (`route`). The default route (0.0.0.0/0) should have your router (192.168.1.1) as the gateway. You can also try running traceroute (for example to Google DNS at 8.8.8.8 or CloudFlare at 1.1.1.1) to see the path/hops that packets take. 

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Sweet, I didn't know there is such a easy way to get the path.

I'll check this as soon as I'm done with work.

Thanks alot

Well, quick update:

I was able to test the tracert 8.8.8.8 but the rout went straight ou of my network but took 1 min 18 sec to reach google after 11 hops.

grafik.png.6b728ec0222dcef45771c670b1d74237.png

I don't know if that's normal but I can't see if it trys my NAS first or not.

I'll keep testing and trying.

I'd think what you would need to do here is have it access FreeNAS over the normal LAN but have the Cache return the IP address of the second NIC on FreeNAS so that when your PC tries to actually pull the data it goes over the faster connection completely ignoring the default route.  I have no idea if your cache can be configured that way.

Obviously ideally, you'd just stick the PC and FreeNAS on a 10Gbit switch to make it simpler.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7