My computer won't boot up when I connect it to my secondary hdd.

Lightmare

So this morning, everything was fine until HWinfo froze. I did a restart and noticed the bios would hang until 1-2 minutes and the computer wouldn't load into the O.S. It would hang. I restart it and then it showed the "disk repair" checking thing .

It was stuck at 32%, so I turned off the computer. I unplugged one of my secondary hard-drives and then everything booted up fine. I use the exact same port and cable to tried out an extra HDD I have and then the computer boot up fine too.

Just for reference, a couple days ago when I build the PC I am currently using, I accidentally plug in the floppy drive power cable to the Sys fan port. I noticed a click sound and white smoke came out. I quickly turn off the powersupply and took out the cable.

Everything was fine and the computer was running afterwards. I don't know if that had to do with it.

Sounds like the HDD gave up. You really should have let Windows finish the repair, it likely wasn't froze but busy labelling sectors as damaged.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Sounds like the HDD gave up. You really should have let Windows finish the repair, it likely wasn't froze but busy labelling sectors as damaged.

Damn I didn't know I was supposed to let it finish since it was just stuck at 32 person and the ETA time was fluctuating. I am surprised that the HDD gave up. It is only 6 years old.

Is my HDD fucked since I didn't let Windows finish?

3 minutes ago, Lightmare said:

Damn I didn't know I was supposed to let it finish since it was just stuck at 32 person and the ETA time was fluctuating. I am surprised that the HDD gave up. It is only 6 years old.

Is my HDD fucked since I didn't let Windows finish?

If connecting the HDD is causing POST to halt then yes its dead. Don't feel bad, it was fucked before you stopped the scan, you likely killed it a bit quicker than it would have done but it was going to die no matter what.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If connecting the HDD is causing POST to halt then yes its dead. Don't feel bad, it was fucked before you stopped the scan, you likely killed it a bit quicker than it would have done but it was going to die no matter what.

How?!? The drive is only 6 years old. Sigh.... How do I securely dispose of the HDD then?

38 minutes ago, Lightmare said:

How?!? The drive is only 6 years old. Sigh.... How do I securely dispose of the HDD then?

Smash it to pieces with a hammer.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Smash it to pieces with a hammer.

3.5 HDDs are pretty tough.....

3 minutes ago, Lightmare said:

3.5 HDDs are pretty tough.....

Use a sledgehammer or a full sized axe.