Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Gaming Laptop overheats dramatically during gaming

I have MSI GL639sfk
Intel Core i7 9750h

Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070

16 GB DDR4 2666Mhz

2TB SSD

While gaming, my laptop over heats even when i put the fan speed on maximum. HELP

Well that cpu is notoriously hot. Theres nothing to do about it especially with the hot 2070.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Well that cpu is notoriously hot. Theres nothing to do about it especially with the hot 2070.

Is a Laptop cooler stand gonna help me? any third party hardware recommendation?

What temperatures are you seeing?

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

A cooler stand only cools the outer layer for the case, for a long time i think its a silly idea.

They sorta work, but not as much as you want them to be, only 5-10c at most.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

4 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

What temperatures are you seeing?

80 to 85 C

That's far from overheating, this is absolutely normal and common for Notebooks - gaming or not.

To be very precise, CPUs can not possibly overheat, unless they are defective (but then they wouldn't even run).

Let's take your CPU: https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/processors/core/i7-processors/i7-9750h.html

Intel lists 100°C as the maximum temperature.

So Overheating starts at 101°C. (By that definition, Not a single Laptop on the market exists, that Overheats).

And if the CPU is not defective, you won't be able to reach 101°C, no matter what you do, even if you remove the heatsink^^

When reaching 99-100°C it will throttle down to a point it just won't get any hotter. If that doesn't help, it will shut itself down to prevent damage.

Really, it sounds strange, but it's extremely difficult to actually damage your CPU, unless you do extreme-OC with rediculously high voltages maybe.

Never overclocked it and it thermal throttles at around 85.

does replacing the thermal paste help?

35 minutes ago, BRAVE DANDY said:

It’s not thermal throttling at 85. Default thermal throttling for that chip starts at 100. Some manufactures may reduce it via firmware to somewhere in the 90s, but it’s highly unlikely that they would put it at 85.

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

14 hours ago, BRAVE DANDY said:

It shouldn't thermal throttle at 85c. 85c is still far away from the highest safe temp of 100c Intel specifies.

Install Throttlestop and remove the 85c limit.