SiFive now has MiniITX RISC-V being released soon.

whm1974

Just checking up on current RISC-V development and SiFive is getting ready to release a mITX board come January.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200914005108/en/SiFive-To-Introduce-New-RISC-V-Processor-Architecture-and-RISC-V-PC-at-Linley-Fall-Virtual-Processor-Conference

Creating a RISC-V PC Ecosystem for Linux Application Development

New processor architectures require access to development environments to create and optimize software. The SiFive Freedom U740 next-generation SoC will enable professional developers to create RISC-V applications from bare-metal to Linux-based, including porting of existing applications. The FU740 combines a heterogeneous mix+match core complex with modern PC expansion capabilities and form factor with a suite of included tools to facilitate broad professional software development. Presented by Dr. Yunsup Lee, SiFive will debut the world’s first RISC-V PC, based on the upcoming new FU740, which will be publicly demonstrated at the Linley Conference. The SiFive FU740 will enable professional developers to create RISC-V applications in a bare-metal environment, from OS to end-user application, using powerful SiFive U7-series processor cores.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sifive-readies-risc-v-desktop-pc-for-devs-new-cpus-with-vector-extensions#:~:text=RISC is a CPU design approach first popularized,academic %2B industry consortium and introduced in 2010.

I wonder how much this will be and will it be useful only to Developers for now? Personally I doubt  that I would have any use for anything like this, at least at the moment...

I've been keeping tabs on RISC-V development on and off during the last few years.

1 minute ago, zhnu said:

Me too, but the way SiFive is trying to enter the market is by providing custom cores, that means that it's aiming more at the embedded market than anything else (not desktops, laptops, servers, etc).
It's very usefull for programmers no doubt about that, my major gripe is the pricing that's a bit high for what it is apart from that would love to get my hands on one.

For now, but there several groups working on developing low cost SBCs, give a few years, there should be lower cost MiniITX or MicroATX boards out.

There is the PicoRIO SBC being worked on, with a version next year that includes a GPU.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-picorio-sbc-to-feature-risc-v-open-source-processor

And a LowRISC SBC with the same or similar purpose of the Raspberry Pi in the works. Don't know how far along the development is however.

https://www.lowrisc.org/

-= Removed Derailment =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I’m seeing the word “bare metal” used a lot in the article.  I didn’t think people programmed that way much anymore.  That’s below even assemblers. Maybe I don’t understand what the word means anymore.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m seeing the word “bare metal” used a lot in the article.  I didn’t think people programmed that way much anymore.  That’s below even assemblers. Maybe I don’t understand what the word means anymore.

How close to the hardware a Programming language is. Assembly is a low end level language, meaning the programmers need to know many details about the hardware they are writing for.

Languages such as BASIC, Pascal, and many others, are High Level Languages, meaning that Programmers don't as much detail if any to write programs.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

How close to the hardware a Programming language is. Assembly is a low end level language, meaning the programmers need to know many details about the hardware they are writing for.

Languages such as BASIC, Pascal, and many others, are High Level Languages, meaning that Programmers don't as much detail if any to write programs.

You seem to be describing language level rather than my understanding of “bare metal”. Any low level language would be considered “bare metal” then?

My memory of low level languages like forth were not considered bare metal because they’re on the other side of a compiler. This seems to have changed.  I can’t remember if assembly has to be compiled to or not.  I’m vaguely remembering it could be done both ways. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You seem to be describing language level rather than my understanding of “bare metal”. Any low level language would be considered “bare metal” then?

My memory of low level languages like forth were not considered bare metal because they’re on the other side of a compiler. This seems to have changed.  I can’t remember if assembly has to be compiled to or not.  I’m vaguely remembering it could be done both ways. 

Assembly isn't compiled but Linked and Assembled. Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language

Quite a bit easier to deal with then directly writing in a series of Zeros and Ones like the you had to with the Altair 8800 by flipping the Front Panel Switches....

5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Assembly isn't compiled but Linked and Assembled. Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language

Quite a bit easier to deal with then directly writing in a series of Zeros and Ones like the you had to with the Altair 8800 by flipping the Front Panel Switches....

One can compile an assembly language for one architecture into machine code for another though.   

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Bare Metal is basically "talking to the hardware", no drivers in the way type of thing.

Like your typical PC is like this:

CPU/GPU

BIOS/UEFI

OS HAL

OS Kernel/Scheduler

OS Userland

OS GUI/Windowing

Application 

And HTML5 "applications" add an entire extra set of layers

Per window/tab:

GPU context

HTML rendering context

Javascript context

And then you have:

Jquery or React or Vue or Angular, etc.

And the HTML5 application runs on top of that.

So things like Spotify, Teams, Slack, Discord have at least 9 layers, just to talk to the CPU, GPU, RAM, or Disk.

A "bare metal" hypervisor usually sits right on top of the BIOS, has it's own HAL, but doesn't assign hardware resources to itself other than what it needs, where as a typical OS initializes all the hardware it has drivers for and requires software to talk to userland API's, not the drivers. A hypervisor running virtual machines, doesn't talk to the OS's inside the virtual machines.

From the description it seems like the purpose here is to move the "applications" directly to their own "virtual machine" so, I suppose in theory you could assign in an AI context one group of computing resources to a gnn, another to an rnn and not have them stomp on each other. Right now, at least on a Windows or Linux PC, you literately need to a separate GPU for each NN you want to run because they require specific versions of linux kernel, gpu driver, tensorflow/pytorch, python version, etc, and trying to run two different NN's (eg one requiring Tensorflow 1 and another needing Tensorflow 2) can't be run together. It's already worked around using Docker, and Docker is just a type of Virtual Machine container system.

https://www.docker.com/blog/containers-replacing-virtual-machines/

Blog.-Are-containers-..VM-Image-1.png?w=

So I suppose Sifive might be trying to do a hardware "docker" type of thing and remove the host host operating system layer.

Anyway, that's just my read on it. I'm not super-fond of virtualization on consumer hardware because it's a mess, and one of the reasons Microsoft's embracement of Linux lately is because they are missing out on docker, as you can't run most Linux docker's on Windows. https://www.docker.com/blog/preview-linux-containers-on-windows/ , and all the AI/neuralnet stuff is using docker because of how sloppy Nvidia is. 

At any rate a virtualization-hardened CPU is really needed, as all the intel bugs in the Spectre/Meltdown camp critically damage virtualization performance to mitigate.

I wonder how well it can game in comparison to what Linus demonstrated sometime ago.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, williamcll said:

I wonder how well it can game in comparison to what Linus demonstrated sometime ago.

Why don't you buy one and find out?

6 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Compilation involves:

- preprocessing: macros expansion and includes;

- translation: parsing code, building ASTs, transforming language models into assembly (some people call this the compilation phase, but doesn't sound right);

- assembling: mapping instruction mnemonics and operands into instructions bytestream and address offsets;

- linking: glueing together different object files, solving exported and imported symbols, adding format headers indicating how the OS should handle the binary (PE, ELF, COFF, Mach, ...).

Assembly doesn't have the translation phase. The assembly mnemonics are simply mapped to different architecture instructions (e.g. NASM can target ARM, X86, etc), but this isn't compilation.

Well it doesn’t have to anyway.  Sometimes it does if the assembly was for another architecture.  There isn’t just one assembly language.  There’s one for every architecture.

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Previously you had to rely on emulators (such as QEMU) to develop for RISC-V. By bare-metal they mean that you can have actual hardware and develop directly to it instead of relying on emulators.

Also, most embedded programming is considered to be "bare-metal" since you usually don't have an OS abstracting much stuff.

15 hours ago, Kisai said:

From the description it seems like the purpose here is to move the "applications" directly to their own "virtual machine" so, I suppose in theory you could assign in an AI context one group of computing resources to a gnn, another to an rnn and not have them stomp on each other. Right now, at least on a Windows or Linux PC, you literately need to a separate GPU for each NN you want to run because they require specific versions of linux kernel, gpu driver, tensorflow/pytorch, python version, etc, and trying to run two different NN's (eg one requiring Tensorflow 1 and another needing Tensorflow 2) can't be run together. It's already worked around using Docker, and Docker is just a type of Virtual Machine container system.

https://www.docker.com/blog/containers-replacing-virtual-machines/

So I suppose Sifive might be trying to do a hardware "docker" type of thing and remove the host host operating system layer.

Anyway, that's just my read on it. I'm not super-fond of virtualization on consumer hardware because it's a mess, and one of the reasons Microsoft's embracement of Linux lately is because they are missing out on docker, as you can't run most Linux docker's on Windows. https://www.docker.com/blog/preview-linux-containers-on-windows/ , and all the AI/neuralnet stuff is using docker because of how sloppy Nvidia is. 

The article has no mentions of "virtual machines", and the mentioned CPU, iirc, actually lacks the H-extension required for proper virtualization under risc-v.

Your analogy with neural networks makes no sense, you can run two networks with different frameworks at once, and the networks themselves have no hard requirement on kernel/driver versions. 

"Docker is just a type of Virtual Machine container system.". No, that's wrong, don't spread misinformation please. Docker is more akin to a chroot than virtualization, and the reason people are using it is because more often than not you don't need all the isolation that a regular VM offers whilst being more flexible.

"So I suppose Sifive might be trying to do a hardware "docker" type of thing and remove the host host operating system layer.". They are not, that wasn't mentioned at all, where did you get it from?

"as you can't run most Linux docker's on Windows". You can. Previously it was leveraged by running a linux VM on the background, but now it makes use of WSL2 and works for 95% or even more of the containers found on dockerhub.

"and all the AI/neuralnet stuff is using docker because of how sloppy Nvidia is. ". They are not, have a look at most models available on github and you will rarely ever see a Dockerfile in there. Applications using those models to leverage docker due do deployment reasons, and that has NOTHING to do with "how sloppy nvidia is" (what even did you mean by that?).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Wrong. You usually have one assembly language per assembler, not per architecture. If your assembler only supports one architecture and have it's own assembly language, then it is restricted to that architecture or family of architectures. e.g. Intel assembler, Microsoft MASM assembler for x86/x86_64, Microsoft ARM assembler for ARMv6/v7/v8/...

The GNU assembler (GAS), Netwide Assembler (NASM) and others support different architectures with the exact same language.

I’m not sure how that could be wrong when we just said the same thing. Keep in mind I’m talking about oooold stuff. My use of present tense could be the error here.  I took a forth class in College.  It was one of the things that reminded me that me trying to program is just a waste of time for everyone.  That was a very very long time ago. I would be very very surprised if the language is still in use for anything.  I suspect stacks still are.  Forth was all about the stack. 

Edited by Bombastinator

7 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

I could have gotten something wrong, but it seemed to me that you said:

- there is translation from assembly to machine code if targeting different architectures: this is wrong because there's only instruction mapping, which is part of the assembling phase;

- you have an assembly language per architecture: this is wrong, even though you could have an assembly language for each of them, most manufactures have no incentive to make development more complicated. What each individual architecture has is their instructions sets. Those can be unique and require extensions to a generic assembly language (such as GAS and NASM) plus a mapping table from mnemonics to machine code. This is why toolchains manage to add support to new hardware pretty fast.

Both of these seem to go to the point that I said the assebly language is always different, rather than can be, and that is not always the case because manufacturers arrange it that way for simplicity.  This could be the case.  I never saw one but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. My exposure wasn’t even close to in depth quite aside from being out of date.  As an aside You may also have an issue with Wikipedia then because they seem to be saying always. 

6 hours ago, igormp said:

"as you can't run most Linux docker's on Windows". You can. Previously it was leveraged by running a linux VM on the background, but now it makes use of WSL2 and works for 95% or even more of the containers found on dockerhub.

"and all the AI/neuralnet stuff is using docker because of how sloppy Nvidia is. ". They are not, have a look at most models available on github and you will rarely ever see a Dockerfile in there. Applications using those models to leverage docker due do deployment reasons, and that has NOTHING to do with "how sloppy nvidia is" (what even did you mean by that?).

Every, single, thing I've seen built on a CNN has a dockerfile to run a linux image with a specific set of nVidia drivers, Cuda version, CuDNN, Python, Tensorflow/Pytorch, etc, that's before you even get to that application written in python. You can not just "update" these things, because it breaks everything that runs on top of it.

https://docs.nvidia.com/deeplearning/cudnn/support-matrix/index.html

Got a new Ampere card? can't use it with cuDNN less than. 8.0.0 running CUDA 11.0 and driver r450

Maybe you're not even using the GPU because nVidia doesn't make it easy to get cuDNN https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/issues/17445

It's a mess for end users to setup. One specific project requires CUDA 10.0 only, CuDNN 7.6.5 for Cuda 10.0 , Python 3.7 only, PyTorch for CUDA 10.0, Tensorflow 1.14. And what if you want to use something that requires a newer version side-by-side? you can't. You can not side-by-side drivers except via virtualization, and even then, you still need two separate GPU's. 

image.png.a3726d4e7dc0ac49a6ea3da01bcf43fa.png

image.png.070fb9324f7832a0d8fd9006898080f3.png

image.png.fe400b2b533ac14af9ed447eafaf29a7.png

Anyway. These docker containers don't work on Windows because they require the GPU to be virtualized, which means it's not available to the host OS to use previously. It's only recently that any work on this has been possible. It's not even in the current release build of windows.

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/announcing-cuda-on-windows-subsystem-for-linux-2/

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/wsl-user-guide/index.html#known-issues

To go back to the topic about bare metal though. It sounds like these are all FPGA-adjacent technology.

https://sifive.github.io/freedom-metal-docs/introduction.html#what-is-freedom-metal

What is Freedom Metal?

Freedom Metal enables portable, bare-metal application development for all of SiFive’s RISC-V IP, FPGA evaluation targets, and development boards.

Freedom Metal provides:
  • A bare-metal C application environment

• An API for controlling CPU features and peripherals

• The ability to retarget to any SiFive RISC-V product

This makes Freedom Metal suitable for:
  • Writing portable hardware tests

• Bootstrapping bare metal application development

• A RISC-V hardware abstraction layer

• And more!

Then look at what it actually runs on:

Board Support Packages (found under bsp/)

Those SiFive boards, the third one in that list is marketed as being able to be a linux pc. The two above it are embedded. The QEMU's are of course simulated CPU's.

https://www.sifive.com/boards/hifive-unmatched , is the latest, available for pre-order one.

https://sifive.cdn.prismic.io/sifive/c05b8ddd-e043-45a6-8a29-2a137090236f_HiFive+Unmatched+Product+Brief+(released).pdf

Note "bare metal with Freedom-E SDK", that is separate from the Freedom-U SDK which is a built on top of Linux.

Freedom U-SDK The Freedom U-SDK allows you to create a custom Linux distribution and is based on the collaborative open-source Yocto Project. The layer model makes it easy to add or remove system components from the reference configuration to customize and build your own Linux based system.

That very much is back into the realm of using system images in the same way docker is used.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Every, single, thing I've seen built on a CNN has a dockerfile to run a linux image with a specific set of nVidia drivers, Cuda version, CuDNN, Python, Tensorflow/Pytorch, etc, that's before you even get to that application written in python. You can not just "update" these things, because it breaks everything that runs on top of it.

https://docs.nvidia.com/deeplearning/cudnn/support-matrix/index.html

Got a new Ampere card? can't use it with cuDNN less than. 8.0.0 running CUDA 11.0 and driver r450

Maybe you're not even using the GPU because nVidia doesn't make it easy to get cuDNN https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/issues/17445

It's a mess for end users to setup. One specific project requires CUDA 10.0 only, CuDNN 7.6.5 for Cuda 10.0 , Python 3.7 only, PyTorch for CUDA 10.0, Tensorflow 1.14. And what if you want to use something that requires a newer version side-by-side? you can't. You can not side-by-side drivers except via virtualization, and even then, you still need two separate GPU's. 

You can't pack drivers inside Docker, fwiw. I don't know where you are looking for those networks, but many of the SOTA ones barely give you a requirements.txt. As I said, docker is mostly used for deployments, not when doing research, and the most you need for that is a virtual env, and that's more than enough to have specific versions of tf, pytorch, python itself,  and whatever else you may need without touching your system files. 

"You can not just "update" these things, because it breaks everything that runs on top of it.". You can, I've done so myself. Takes roughly 30 minutes in case some previously used API was deprecated, otherwise it's fine most of the time.

"And what if you want to use something that requires a newer version side-by-side? you can't." You can, virtual environments exists due to that and are common place in many python projects, not only ML-related ones.

"You can not side-by-side drivers except via virtualization" You don't need to, you can run 2 networks in parallel using the same GPU and sharing resources. A GPU isn't locked to a single application, you know? Otherwise one wouldn't be able to train networks while browsing the web.

Please, stop spouting stuff that you've read superficially or heard for others without actual, personal experience, you're just spreading misinformation this way.

12 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That very much is back into the realm of using system images in the same way docker is used.

Not really. Although the whole "layer" idea from both projects may seem similar, Docker's layers (as in, each line of your Dockerfile) is just a tar "diff" based on the previous layer in order to take advantage of caching (so you can rebuild stuff faster). The "image" here is just a userland that you can basically chroot into, agnostic to the underlying kernel and system.

Yocto on the other hand uses layers to separate the different parts and requirements of a distro, such as BSPs, kernel config files and any other extra binaries. It takes all of those, merges then into a single thing and then build all of those at once, generating a fully bootable distro at the end with the settings you made. The "image" here is a really hardware-specific distro that can be booted on bare-metal boards. Yocto is more akin to something like Buildroot instead of Docker (which is similar to a chroot, as I said before).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 hours ago, zhnu said:

You can absolutely install drivers on Docker but they don't do anything, the OS you're running docker on is the real "controller" of the hardware, BUT you can absolutely pass hardware to inside the docker container and make use of the hardware.

This can be achieved several ways depending on the version of docker and if you're running on swarm or not, and example of this: https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker

Indeed, it's just that the step of "passing hardware" to docker is just relying on linux namespaces and cgroups to allow such access, and Kisai meant (in my understanding) something more akin to virtualization where even the host system would not have access to it anymore.

(nvidia-docker is now built in into the official docker now, fwiw :P)

Lenovo N23 Yoga

19 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

The language (e.g. GAS and NASM) is the same. Grammar, syntax, parser, infrastructure, etc.

Instructions may differ (e.g. when you compile something targeting skylake, you may use instructions added with that microarchitecture, which will cause the application to fail in previous microarchitectures (e.g. Westmere, Piledriver, Zen)).

If manufactures want, they could release an assembly language per architecture but that would be pretty dumb. Notice I'm not talking about machine code, which definitely is dependent on the underlying architecture.

Wikipedia isn't a trustworthy source.

I'm pretty sure they're wrong on that because I've researched that as a tutor for basic software classes (assemblers, compilers, static and dynamic linkers, virtual machines) on my university.

Assembly languages are generally one-to-one with a specific architectures according to by computer architecture professor. With the example of modern x86 processors (skylake, piledriver, zen, sunnycove), they can technically all be categorized under the broad, x86 family of computer architectures, which is targeted by a whole family of slightly differing x86 assembly languages. Many x86 assembly languages are able to target a variety of x86 capable processors precisely because modern x86 processors are intentionally designed to support decades of legacy x86 assembly instructions (which some are viewing to be more and more of a hassle). You could even say that assembly and architecture are so closely tied that even decades later, the reliance on & ubiquity of x86 assembly has implications on modern x86 processor design.

From what I know, manufacturers MUST release a new assembly language per new architecture, since no new assembly languages implies no new architecture.

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Are you sure your professor said that? Because this is incorrect. I think one of you misunderstood something, or maybe nomenclature changed over time.

There are different assembly languages (GAS, NASM, MASM, Intel, ...), but not one for each architecture. Instruction changes do not create a new assembly language by itself.

Not really. Some languages can map assembly instructions into new hardware instructions, requiring the assembly code to be reassembled (just like you can recompile C code to different architectures). NASM also has higher-level pseudo instructions that can be mapped to multiple instructions or single instructions on x86 CPUs. (EDIT: Wrong assembly... NASM is x86 only. GAS supports multiple architectures but I'm not sure if it has pseudo instructions).

Instructions sets and instructions are what make up a large portion of what assembly languages are. Like how a very basic MIPS-32 architecture is based around an instruction set, which is used in the assembly code, which is then assembled into native machine code. Of course these were all kept in the case of x86 architectures in order to maintain compatibility, which is precisely why all these architectures can be said to be grouped under the x86 architecture. NASM is an example of an assembly language specific to x86 that is able to be somewhat ported to powerPC and SPARC through use of cross-compilers. Of course instruction changes do not create new assembly languages by themselves, since introducing new instructions does not necessarily mean it is a new architecture (but often times this is the case). If a manufacturer were to create a new architecture today, with completely new instruction sets, it would be 100% necessary to create a new assembly language alongside that brand new architecture. If said architecture were already compatible with another assembly language like x86, PowerPC, SPARC, ARM, MIPS, RISCV, etc., then it would not be considered a new architecture, as it would need to implement physical design changes specifically to do so.

Yes, the terminology of "skylake" or "sunny cove" as an architecture is correct and used widely throughout industry, but that does not mean they don't fall under the broader category of "x86" architectures (or at least compatible). What this means is that if one were to come up with a "new" arch, that also supports previous assembly languages like ARM, RISC-V, MIPS, x86, etc., that said "new" arch would need physical hardware specifically tuned to accept each assembly language.

The way I say "x86 assembly" is directly tied to your next statement, which I should have made clear.

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

What is closely tied to the architecture are the instruction sets, which are assembled into native machine code. Those were maintained to keep binary compatibility without requiring some form of dynamic recompilation/emulation.

According to "Computer Organization and Design" (Patterson & Hennessy 5th edition), the numeric version of instructions is called machine language simply to distinguish it from the more human readable form (assembly language).

The point is that since assembly is the way to use instructions from a specific instruction set, and since each architecture has different instruction sets, the assembly must be different. Again, the main point is that assembly is for the most part, a line for line translation of machine code, which you acknowledge is architecture dependent.

For example in MIPS:

add t1 t2 t3 (a single line using a supported MIPS instruction) ---> 0x014B4820 (hex since its easier to read than binary)

This adds the values in t2 (register 10) and t3 (register 11) and stores the result in t1 (register 9)

In RISCV:

add t1 t2 t3,

Would still add the values in t2 (register 7) and t3 (register 28) and stores the result in t1 (register 6), but directly translating it to hexademical would yield 0x01C382B3.

Each of these 32 binary digits corresponds to a datapath in the specific computer architecture itself, which must be explicitly designed to support the instruction, and thus, the assembly language. The fact that you cannot take 0x01C382B3 and run that in a MIPS architecture and expect the same result, since MIPS would require 0x014B4820 in order to produce that result. 

Since the assembly language itself is itself tied to the instructions it is allowed to use, and the instruction sets are closely tied to the architecture, does that not mean that the assembly language itself is tied to the architecture? 

2 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Which may support different combinations of instruction sets and still may share a single language, even though not every instruction is supported by all micro architectures. It is a clear example of what I said.

That's precisely my point. All of the following micro-architectures are under the x86 architecture family. They share a single x86 assembly language that can vary with the specific instructions that must be extended or supported, but all of these micro-architectures are known as x86 architectures, hence, they all use the x86 assembly language.

This is the point I still didn't manage to get across. No, they don't. They just need to map their registers and instructions. The only scenario where it is absolutely necessary to create a new assembly language is when your architecture doesn't share the same computational model we are accustomed to work with (e.g. move data to registers, operate data in the registers, move data back to memory). The only reason you don't see cross-architecture assemblers is that most of architectures are very niche (x86 and ARM being notable exceptions) and manufacturers don't think it is worth the trouble.

Yes, by mapping their registers and instructions such as the MIPS/ARM example, where registers 3-5 might be 28-30 in a different architecture, the way they must write the assembly, and thus the machine code is different. Yes of course most architectures today will share many instructions and many will be extremely similar, but that is the obvious convergent need where all computational machines must share some of the same basic functionality. Yes, architectures share computational models such as operating with registers and memory, but the differences in the architectures such as register size, different pipelining/forwarding implementations cause them to differ. I'm not saying cross-architecture assemblers don't exist, but the very reason they do is because there are different archictures that require different assembly code (languages) were it not for the translation capability of that software.

This is an oversimplification for undergrad students. The link I've provided earlier show that this is definitely not the case.
Assembly language is a way to represent instructions executed by a machine in a readable form. It isn't bound to a specific instruction set, even though most assembly languages are.

"For the most part" means that it isn't. What I said is that the machine code is architecture dependent.

Can you show me the link again, is it a much earlier comment? If assembly is used to represent instructions, and the instruction set is specific to each micro-architecture, how is it then that assembly isn't specific to each micro-architecture. Instructions used by the assembly language belong to the Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) of the hardware, which is, by definition, the architecture of the hardware, meaning that the assembly language for one ISA will differ from the assembly language of another ISA.

This is binary compatibility. Never said this was the case.

What prevents an assembler from mapping an ADD $(r1), $(r2), $(r3) into x86 or MIPS3000/4000 machine code?
Both have 32bit registers, which can add, subtract, multiple, load, store, move data, etc.
x86 has fancy instructions that can do all loads, register operations and stores with a single instruction (reducing the binary size).
MIPS would need at least a li t1, $(r2); li t2, $(r3); add r3, t1, t2; sw t3, $(r1), plus a few instructions to save previous values if previously used (which can later be removed by the linker).
Trivial mapping of a pseudo-instructions and pseudo-registers into architecture specific registers and instructions, that will then be used to generate the proper binaries with machine code.

This does not preclude that the assembly code written for the MIPS ISA would need to be translated into a form recognizable by another ISA, hence translating to another, different assembly code. Yes, much of assembly code for one architecture is easily assembled into another, but it is precisely slight differences and different instructions that require different assembler to be used and slightly different notation (such as which t2, s3, r0, etc.). Again, I'm not denying the existence of cross-assemblers, but don't they differ fundamentally from how the assembly language needed by one ISA is different from the assembly language of another? Even in the example of ARM and x86, where cross-assemblers exist, the fact that they do, and require specific software to perform that translations suggests that you are translating from one to another, no matter how similar or different the exact language they use.

I think I'm understanding better your point of the similarities between ISAs, but I'm struggling to understand why if assembly language is a way to represent instructions executed by a machine in a readable form, that it isn't bound to a specific instruction set, even though most assembly languages are. Even assembly languages like GAS that are cross-compile capable are created specifically to support the multiple architectures it can target. I'm not saying there can't exist assembly languages created independently of micro-architectures that are able to target multiple ISAs, I'm saying you can't have a micro-architecture without having a new assembler (thus dictating the new assembly language syntax), or it would fall under an already existing micro-architecture.

Edit: Perhaps I've been misunderstanding the whole time. Are you referring to different micro-architectures specifically like Nehalem/Skylake/SunnyCove, ARM32/ARM64, MIPS32/MIPS64, or Bulldozer/Matisse? I've been thinking about ISA's specifically. Different micro-architectures like Nehalem/Skylake/SunnyCove will all implement the x86 ISA in differing ways. Hence, these micro-architectures are developed in absence of any new assembly language, while x86 is still the underlying ISA.

Edited by thechinchinsong
Reasoning