1GB/s with external HDD? Why?

Varusal
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The USB drivers will have a buffer, and windows will also have some buffers to speed up transfers, as shown in the picture above.

Windows will copy as much as possible to ram and then push the data to the external drive, but the usb controller also has its own buffers and can lie to windows saying it transferred x MB already, while in reality that data is still in queue, pending complete transfer.

That's why it's best to always right click on that icon near the clock and select safely remove/disconnect drive , or eject drive ... that will send a command to flush all buffers and complete all transfers to the external storage.

Hey folks,

I have a very strange "issue". My external HDD has suddenly a write speed of 1.0GB/s to 1.3GB/s and I just wonder why? I use the Seagate Expansion+ Desktop and it usually has a read/write speed of max. 130MB/s.

As you can see in the video below, CrystalDiskMark shows 40 MB/s which is super slow but still while copying a 1GB file it reaches about 1.0GB/s.

https://streamable.com/qse358

Any Ideas why this happens?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Varusal said:

while copying a 1GB file it reaches about 1.0GB/s

Probably an error is reporting. At that speed, it should complete in about 1 second, 130MB/s should take about 8 sec, 40MB/s would take about 25 sec (slightly longer due to process management)
Compare actual time to complete file transfer to above times (since transfer speeds fluctuate it's not perfect but should provide an acceptable sanity check)
E: I'm thinking it's reporting transfer speed in gigabits per second, 1GBps is 125 megabytes per second, which is in line with the normal speed you mentioned

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

6 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Probably an error is reporting. At that speed, it should complete in about 1 second, 130MB/s should take about 8 sec, 40MB/s would take about 25 sec (slightly longer due to process management)
Compare actual time to complete file transfer to above times (since transfer speeds fluctuate it's not perfect but should provide an acceptable sanity check)
E: I'm thinking it's reporting transfer speed in gigabits per second, 1GBps is 125 megabytes per second, which is in line with the normal speed you mentioned

If you watch the linked video, you see that the 1GB file-transfer is actually near 1 second.

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

See what happens if you unplug the drive right as the bar finishes.

That is basically impossible to do. The file is more or less instantly on my external drive.

2 hours ago, Varusal said:

If you watch the linked video, you see that the 1GB file-transfer is actually near 1 second.

wow, didn't realize that was a video lol. sorry bout that.

There's a setting for usb connected storage that comes to mind but I've forgotten the most important bit and can't for the life of me find it, but it'll put file transfers into a background state/realm/abyss. During which time the data will show, but if you tell the system to disconnect the drive it will protest stating the drive is in use, and if you disconnect the cord you may find data corrupted.
Otherwise 🤷‍♂️

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

18 hours ago, Cyracus said:

wow, didn't realize that was a video lol. sorry bout that.

There's a setting for usb connected storage that comes to mind but I've forgotten the most important bit and can't for the life of me find it, but it'll put file transfers into a background state/realm/abyss. During which time the data will show, but if you tell the system to disconnect the drive it will protest stating the drive is in use, and if you disconnect the cord you may find data corrupted.
Otherwise 🤷‍♂️

I found the setting: Disk Management > Properties (on a drive) > Policies.

Write caching was on but even after disabling it, the drive still writes over 1.0GB/s.

image.png.ca9f7f65add29b8190861e6ae8ec6658.png

The USB drivers will have a buffer, and windows will also have some buffers to speed up transfers, as shown in the picture above.

Windows will copy as much as possible to ram and then push the data to the external drive, but the usb controller also has its own buffers and can lie to windows saying it transferred x MB already, while in reality that data is still in queue, pending complete transfer.

That's why it's best to always right click on that icon near the clock and select safely remove/disconnect drive , or eject drive ... that will send a command to flush all buffers and complete all transfers to the external storage.

4 hours ago, Varusal said:

I found the setting: Disk Management > Properties (on a drive) > Policies.

That's the thing 😄. What happens when you set removal policy to quick removal?

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 4:52 AM, Cyracus said:

That's the thing 😄. What happens when you set removal policy to quick removal?

The same thing. I can disable the cache settings on all drives but it still keeps caching. Funnily enough, my dad has the same drive and he has those cache settings enabled but he doesn't encounter a 1GB/s write speed.

Also in the meantime I reinstalled Windows 10 and the cache is still there. I have absolutely no idea why it does it but all my files are totally fine. So I can live with that I guess xD