For mac users and those who were looking forward to the M1 chip for the changes it would bring to the industry: Are you disappointed in the M1?

BlakSpectre
8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Even the best you can do now may not be enough for the future.

On Nvidia GPUs it comes with no compromises,it works great and has a wide support from developers.

Even my GTX 1660 has a full Nvidia Encoder/Decoder (Turing)

More options and functionality is always better,computers are multi-role machines and are not designed for just one task.

I dont entirely understand your comment. If you want to do a mac vs pc thing, that does not add anything to the conversation on this thread.

Comparing a 10 watt SoC to a dedicated graphic card is petty.

And I agree more options are better, including 8k decoding.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Fair, to me it just seemed like you were trying to bring it up as a consumer device designed to run Linux.

It is pretty cool though.

Makes me wish there was one.

Just now, whm1974 said:

I will strongly disagree with you on not needing more then one USB port.

Yep,you can use one port for charging the laptop,the second for a mouse,the third for charging your phone and the fourth for a USB drive/external storage,

Some people even need more.

Apple users live in dongle land.

My laptop has 5 USB 3 ports and an optical drive,i plan to upgrade to a Core i7 in the future (yep,a laptop with a socketed CPU)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, Nowak said:

Makes me wish there was one.

Depends on how you define "designed to run Linux", because there are already laptops shipping from Dell and Lenovo (among others iirc) with Linux distros preinstalled, and a large number of current laptops (nevermind older ones) will run Linux almost no tinkering required.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, BlakSpectre said:

I dont understand your comment. If you want to do a mac vs pc thing, that does not add anything to the conversation on this thread.

Comparing a 10 watt SoC to a dedicated graphic card is petty.

It's related to this:

And I agree more options are better, including 8k decoding.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

37 minutes ago, Nowak said:

What about Linux?

I don't use Linux, so it's not something I want.

But just like Linux with everything else, it would come eventually if it existed

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Depends on how you define "designed to run Linux", because there are already laptops shipping from Dell and Lenovo (among others iirc) with Linux distros preinstalled, and a large number of current laptops (nevermind older ones) will run Linux almost no tinkering required.

Those are x86. I'm referring to ARM specifically.

2 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Those are x86. I'm referring to ARM specifically.

Whoops, completely forgot that part lel. Ignore me.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

As matter of fact you don't need ARM or X86 to run Linux,

IBM are still releasing new PowerPC processors to the market,and like Intel they too are still on 14nm.

But the Power10 CPUs are expected to get released in 2021 on 7nm.

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's related to this:

Mate, can you re-read my comment? because you are confusing me.

My comment was in response to someone saying 8k decoding is stupid because there is no 8k content.

8k is useful to video editors and within 2-4 years general consumers.

Therefore if just cratering to a small number of users is stupid (by supporting 8k decoding) then more than one USB port on a laptop is also stupid, most people just use one (two if they need one for charging) and thus my disappointment for their paltry I/O bandwidth is stupid.

Don't make this about mac vs non apple machines if possible.

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

IBM are still releasing new PowerPC processors to the market,and like Intel they too are still on 14nm.

As for use in consumer and proconsumer computers? Aside from AmigaOS and MorphOS, there are no PC OSes for PowerPC anymore.

Well there are few Linux Distros that still provide support, maybe even a few of the BSDs, but...

Don't make this about mac vs non apple machines if possible.

I did not,i gave examples from devices that i have for things that would be nice to have in the new MAC.

I brought my GTX 1660 as an example for hardware Encoding/Decoding and spoke about how nice it is to have,

as far as i am aware it's available on the Mac as well.

I brought my Intel based laptop as an example for many USB ports and even gave an example to what people typically do with them:

Using a mouse,charging your phone,using a USB drive/External storage - using those all at once are normal.

I see a lot of Apple users with dongles.

11 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

As for use in consumer and proconsumer computers? Aside from AmigaOS and MorphOS, there are no PC OSes for PowerPC anymore.

Well there are few Linux Distros that still provide support, maybe even a few of the BSDs, but...

The support is basically on a machine by machine basis,but generally these are the supported distros from IBMs website:

Little Endian:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2, any subsequent RHEL 8.x releases
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP1, any subsequent SLES 15 updates

So basically Red Hat and SUSE are the only distros that are officially supported on the latest PowerPC processors.

Source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/linuxonibm/liaam/liaamdistros.htm

I don't have an M1 Mac but I essentially already decided from the outset that I was going to wait until at least M2. Partly because I already have a 2019 16" MBP and I can't justify getting rid of it after only one year, but also because I want to skip Gen 1. I'm just hoping to see better apps for Apple Silicon (i.e. not just phone apps running on a Mac). I'm impressed with the benchmarks, but I also want to see if they come out with their own Apple Silicon GPU. 

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

I’m pretty sure Linux still supports SPARC too. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

I'm disappointed at it being made by Apple and therefore never making it outside of their ecosystem. 

I've wanted powerful ARM processors on laptops and tablets for a while running Windows.

I wouldn't worry about that too much - if M1 and it's successors are successful (which I think they will be), it will drive the major software vendors to port native ARM full desktop versions of their apps - Adobe is already working on it (and already has versions working on ARM for iPad Pro).

And, if the benefits of a very well designed desktop ARM processor are evident, you will see competition on the desktop space eventually. Whether from Qualcomm or Samsung or AMD or NVIDIA (all have ARM licenses) or some other entry - this could be very good for the desktop processor market.

Especially if they can get to a point where if you run Windows, you can seamlessly run most software on either ARM or x86 without much of a compromise (bonus points if Microsoft develops an x86 emulation/translation layer that works as well as Rosetta 2 seems to).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)