Ryzen 5600X underwhelming performance caused by random underclocking?

stratuh

I had a 3600 but a friend offered to buy it which helped fund a 5600X purchase. I got it two days ago and performance is underwhelming.

I haven't tried many games, not like I remember my framerates on the 3600 to compare to, but I did try Timespy and Superposition benchmarks and I'm finding my scores to be a little troubling.

With Timespy, my CPU score is only 11% better, and compared to others with the same CPU and GPU, I should be getting closer to 23% better. On the 3600 I would get around 6500, and 5600X I get around 7300, when I'm seeing most people get around 8000-8500. In Superposition, my score is only about 80 points higher, reflecting in 1.5fps more on average. This is using the VR Test at maximum and 2160x2160. Some runs I actually get a worse score, it depends what other programs I have open.

Something I notice is the 5600X is underclocking at random intervals. I have Core Performance Boost off, and Precision Boost Overdrive off, so it should remain at 3.7ghz constantly, right? In Windows, I even have maximum performance ticked in power options. But I notice it drops to 2.9ghz at random. When idling/doing nothing, it fluctuates between 3.6ghz and 2.9ghz, never points inbetween, just sudden drops. However, when CPU load is high, it remains constant 3.6ghz. Why is this happening? I'm not thermal throttling: when idling at 39c it still drops.

Here's Aida64 open to see what I mean:

6QZD0aU.png

I notice my motherboard (ASUS B550-i Strix) doesn't have AGESA Patch C, only Patch B which released on Nov 5th. Could this be why my performance is underwhelming compared to others?

I went from x470, 3600, and 3000mhz RAM to b550, 5600X, and 3200mhz RAM. Shouldn't my performance be much better than it is?