This is a joke - DO NOT BUY AN OMEN LAPTOP

sqquare
2 hours ago, sqquare said:

im expecting it to at least mantain some kind of turbo for more than 5 seconds while gaming and not reach constant 99C under BASE 

CLOCK

Why would you expect that...? A product is not a joke just because you are delusional and have strange expectations :)

:)

18 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why would you expect that...? A product is not a joke just because you are delusional and have strange expectations :)

this post was sponsored by HP omen

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

So your expecting great cooling in a small form factor of less than an inch thick??? Welcome to the world of gaming laptops!! My MSI GS66 Stealth can hit into the 90C mark as well depending on load!!

90 ≠ 100

100 is really bad, c'mon lol.... it's not usual... 

my cpu on my laptop hits 85, 86 max... which of course is enough to make it throttle like hell... 

nothing that can't b fixed with a 15 dollar china laptop cooler tho! (getting 80-82c or something which is enough to make it *not* throttle) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, sqquare said:

yeah i just called my local pc shop, said it wouldnt do anything but i insisted. i can probably get one within the next hour. live thread guys?

gaming on a laptop without cooler is just doing it wrong and that shop has no idea (which is typical) 

Also pro tip : use an external power source and *do not* plug the cooler into the laptop... because that's also doing it wrong and can cause massive issues instead of improving things (just use an old USB charger for the cooler) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

90 ≠ 100

I'm not say it is. My laptop is near that territory but at the end of the day, its a gaming laptop. I have seen it go near 100 but it depends on how badly optimized the game is with the processors. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

7 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I'm not say it is. My laptop is near that territory but at the end of the day, its a gaming laptop. I have seen it go near 100 but it depends on how badly optimized the game is with the processors. 

agreed, sure it depends on the workload, but hitting 100c isn't normal and means the laptop was designed badly, most gaming laptops are between 80-90c and not at least because they start throttling before reaching even higher temps, running at or near 100 is not only stupid (from a design perspective) its also dangerous and manufactures (should) know this. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Lenovo Legion Y540 had same, CPU temps went around 98, warranty said that "it's OK, because computer is for GaMiNg"... when laptop wasn't even getting a heavy load. Still struggling to get my money back.

@sqquare Your screenshot shows 19.2W at 98°C. What did you use for thermal paste? Are you sure you used enough? If you do not have a lot of experience applying thermal paste to laptop CPUs, it might take a few tries to get this right. Pull it apart and examine the heatsink. Make sure it is flat and making full contact with the CPU. Check the heatsink with a straight edge ruler from corner to corner and from side to side.

A properly designed heatsink on a CPU with a 45W TDP rating should not be thermal throttling when power consumption is less than half of the TDP. Some OMEN laptops may not have great cooling but it is rare to find one this bad. Double check your work. Make sure there is firm contact pressure between the heatsink and CPU and that the heatsink is not warped and rocking back and forth on the CPU.

Are you using the most recent BIOS? HP just released their own voltage control software.

https://www.omen.com/us/en/omen-gaming-hub.html

Not sure if your laptop is supported yet. This will help a little but first you have to find out what is wrong with the heatsink. Maybe it was damaged.

image.png.cb58bc232577b21d6deba9df03c4c8bc.png

On 11/28/2020 at 9:46 PM, unclewebb said:

@sqquare Your screenshot shows 19.2W at 98°C. What did you use for thermal paste? Are you sure you used enough? If you do not have a lot of experience applying thermal paste to laptop CPUs, it might take a few tries to get this right. Pull it apart and examine the heatsink. Make sure it is flat and making full contact with the CPU. Check the heatsink with a straight edge ruler from corner to corner and from side to side.

A properly designed heatsink on a CPU with a 45W TDP rating should not be thermal throttling when power consumption is less than half of the TDP. Some OMEN laptops may not have great cooling but it is rare to find one this bad. Double check your work. Make sure there is firm contact pressure between the heatsink and CPU and that the heatsink is not warped and rocking back and forth on the CPU.

Are you using the most recent BIOS? HP just released their own voltage control software.

https://www.omen.com/us/en/omen-gaming-hub.html

Not sure if your laptop is supported yet. This will help a little but first you have to find out what is wrong with the heatsink. Maybe it was damaged.

image.png.cb58bc232577b21d6deba9df03c4c8bc.png

i had it repasted by a proffesional. lol. 

thanks, gonna go to a different computer store and sit there and post live updates on their work. i have no experience working on laptops i only worked on desktops before. i did undervolt with throttlestop and it helped a ton but its still not great. thanks for letting me know something is wrong.