Apple M1 = the rest of us are living in the stone age!?

9 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

Serious professional work such as game,movie and music studios that have traditionally stuck with apple.

The ones that buy the higher tier devices that are currently left out of this launch and must be scratching there head wondering if apple still committed to them as a user group

That's not serious professional work, that is niche work. 

@gal-m @wall03 @Den-Fi @aDoomGuy @SpaceGhostC2C @Fasauceome @Spindel @boggy77 @SupaKomputa @ialii @PeachGr @mahyar @Crazywizard @Blademaster91 @LogicalDrm @HelpfulTechWizard @Blade of Grass @Justaphysicsnerd @Mateyyy @Laborant @saltycaramel @Caroline @Amias @Sarra @NoVaGuy @Video Beagle @Uttamattamakin @RejZoR @spartaman64 @whm1974 @Jeppes @Lord Vile @tech.guru @Vishera

Ok rounded everybody up for a summary of this thread, (or what I think it is):

ARM in general, has very good performance per watt, this is not new at all

M1 knows how to utilise it.

M1 has great single core, but this will be irrelevant soon, as almost all task are getting optimised for more cores and multi core

4 cores can't be used for any productivity

A 1050 ti can't be used for productivity

M1 emulation is very bad, and will not be as good as x86 native anytime soon

It has an excellent accelerator and scaler

We need to wait for a M1 refresh for good productivity.

Hope this is allowed

One last thing

Can it run crisis

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

Can it run crisis

great question

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

49 minutes ago, Spindel said:

That's not serious professional work, that is niche work. 

In terms of market share apple is a niche product in laptops and desktops space. Its those customers who pushed back and had companies implement apple in workplaces.

Are you saying apple should leave them behind?

1 minute ago, tech.guru said:

In terms of market share apple is a niche product. Its those customers who pushed back and had companies implement apple in workplaces.

Are you saying apple should leave them behind?

If only look at US I highly doubt that professionals working with music, film and games make up 15 % of the workforce using their computers as professional tools. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Spindel said:

If only look at US I highly doubt that professionals working with music, film and games make up 15 % of the workforce using their computers as professional tools. 

I dont understand argument its a sizable chunk of sales.

You think apple should discard them chasing more marketshare from other users?

Trying to understand...

17 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

@gal-m @wall03 @Den-Fi @aDoomGuy @SpaceGhostC2C @Fasauceome @Spindel @boggy77 @SupaKomputa @ialii @PeachGr @mahyar @Crazywizard @Blademaster91 @LogicalDrm @HelpfulTechWizard @Blade of Grass @Justaphysicsnerd @Mateyyy @Laborant @saltycaramel @Caroline @Amias @Sarra @NoVaGuy @Video Beagle @Uttamattamakin @RejZoR @spartaman64 @whm1974 @Jeppes @Lord Vile @tech.guru @Vishera

M1 has great single core, but this will be irrelevant soon, as almost all task are getting optimised for more cores and multi core

Eh you still need good cores and not everything will be optimised for high core count chips.

They certainly can depending on the program and I expect Final cut performs just swell on the M1

Again depends what you're doing.

Emulation is actually very good. It exceeds expectations. 

Hope this is allowed

One last thing

Can it run crisis

It depends what you're trying to do. If you're using apples own software I expect these to do fine in productivity.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

20 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

peng

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 hour ago, tech.guru said:

Except this isnt the 90s anymore and single threaded performance is the least important metric in the era of multi core processing.

I would say this is distinctly false. Lots of applications run with single processes, and lots of applications are faster without multi-processing. Only embarrassingly parallel tasks are able to benefit significantly from multi-core architectures. Multi core isn't some magic that speeds up applications, any task that requires synchronization (think, anything that requires states) can be significantly impacted by multiple processes contending over locks. IPC can also be quite expensive for these tasks. 

Amdahl's law also provides a good ceiling for how optimized tasks can theoretically become, and ignores the minutia of practical implications. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1 hour ago, Ankh Tech said:

Hope this is allowed

One last thing

Can it run crisis

There is so much wrong about so much of this. I've used an M1 everyday since release. Have you?

21 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Eh you still need good cores and not everything will be optimised for high core count chips.

I said are getting

21 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

They certainly can depending on the program and I expect Final cut performs just swell on the M1

I mean as in professional editing and rendering, you'll need more "big cores" for that.

23 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Again depends what you're doing.

Again, for higher end stuff

24 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Emulation is actually very good. It exceeds expectations.

It is very bad compared to native, but this is getting fixed, Admittedly it is very good vs other emulators.

25 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

t depends what you're trying to do. If you're using apples own software I expect these to do fine in productivity.

Once more I mean x86 stuff is bad. That is why ARM and x86 can't be compared

@gal-m @wall03 @Den-Fi @aDoomGuy @SpaceGhostC2C @Fasauceome @Spindel @boggy77 @SupaKomputa @ialii @PeachGr @mahyar @Crazywizard @Blademaster91 @LogicalDrm @HelpfulTechWizard @Blade of Grass @Justaphysicsnerd @Mateyyy @Laborant @saltycaramel @Caroline @Amias @Sarra @NoVaGuy @Video Beagle @Uttamattamakin @RejZoR @spartaman64 @whm1974 @Jeppes @Lord Vile @tech.guru @Vishera

One more thing:

16gb is little for some people, and it can't be upgraded, since it is a system on a chip, as people established by now.

And the performance you can get for the price of a mac in a pc, I mean, let the builds speak for themselves

51 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

If people are interested in subsequent replies to a thread they can click the Follow button to be notified of new replies. You do not need to tag every single person who has participated in the thread just so they look at your post. Tagging so many people for no good reason is extremely poor forum etiquette.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

If people are interested in subsequent replies to a thread they can click the Follow button to be notified of new replies. You do not need to tag every single person who has participated in the thread just so they look at your post. Tagging so many people for no good reason is extremely poor forum etiquette.

sorry, not everyone followed, so just wanted to inform everyone my summary of things, nobody ever followed

not everyone followed

That's the point...if they don't want to see nonsense, they don't follow. Don't force people to see your comment.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

6 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

That is so much wrong about so much of this. I've used an M1 everyday since release. Have you?

How can you trashtalk, with blind antifanboyism, a good system if you actually try it?

I’ve also use a M1 system daily, but apparently, according to aome in this thread, I’m not a professional (even if I use it for work) and it also apparently runs like crap.

1 minute ago, Spindel said:

How can you trashtalk, with blind antifanboyism, a good system if you actually try it?

I;m not trash talking. I love apple, sorta a fanboy. Never tried it I know. Just writing a summary of what I understood

13 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

16gb is little for some people, and it can't be upgraded, since it is a system on a chip, as people established by now.

And the performance you can get for the price of a mac in a pc, I mean, let the builds speak for themselves

If you tag me pointlessly again, I will not respond to anything you do. Unless I need to do so by moderating perspective.

9 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

sorry, not everyone followed, so just wanted to inform everyone my summary of things, nobody ever followed

Yeah, because I couldn't care less.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

I;m not trash talking. I love apple, sorta a fanboy. Never tried it I know. Just writing a summary of what I understood

Yes, but the summary showed a complete lack of understanding.

Part of this is the fact that you haven't touched the stuff.

You're applying super loose PC logic to a platform that's even further beyond your scope of experience.

The only thing you're accomplishing here is letting everyone know who to completely ignore.

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

If you tag me pointlessly again, I will not respond to anything you do. Unless I need to do so by moderating perspective.

Yeah, because I couldn't care less.

ok sorry my bad

26 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

I said are getting

Games have been "getting" more multithreaded for like a decade and we still haven't seen many take advantage of more than 4 cores.

I mean as in professional editing and rendering, you'll need more "big cores" for that.

FCP is a professional video editing suite

Again, for higher end stuff

Again depends, some stuff doesn't scale with cores well and stuff like FCP will utilise the M1 and it's unique features to speed up perfromance

It is very bad compared to native, but this is getting fixed, Admittedly it is very good vs other emulators.

Wouldn't agree. It's a lot better native than anything going the other way.

Once more I mean x86 stuff is bad. That is why ARM and x86 can't be compared

Well they can they can run the same program just using the other codebase. 

One more thing:

Again it depends what you're looking for. I would very much like to see a $700 PC running adobe vs the M1 mac mini using FCP in a render. Also I have no doubt that desktop and the MBP 16 when released will have more RAM.

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Games have been "getting" more multithreaded for like a decade and we still haven't seen many take advantage of more than 4 cores.

FCP is a professional video editing suite

Again depends, some stuff doesn't scale with cores well and stuff like FCP will utilise the M1 and it's unique features to speed up perfromance

Wouldn't agree. It's a lot better native than anything going the other way.

Well they can they can run the same program just using the other codebase. 

Again it depends what you're looking for. I would very much like to see a $700 PC running adobe vs the M1 mac mini using FCP in a render. Also I have no doubt that desktop and the MBP 16 when released will have more RAM.

well at this point the price increase will be too much it will be pointless, as a pc with the same price will crush it

56 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

well at this point the price increase will be too much it will be pointless, as a pc with the same price will crush it

what do you mean price increase? Intel macs cost about the same as building your own would cost think that's fairly well documented.

Just now, Lord Vile said:

what do you mean price increase? Intel macs cost about the same as building your own would cost think that's fairly well documented.

funny joke...

hi