Apple M1 = the rest of us are living in the stone age!?

8 minutes ago, gal-m said:

No no, I know. I am talking about Apple making really great chips and CPUs like AMD and Intel just being stuck in the past Which would mean, they'd want to start looking at the ARM architecture as well. 

I think you are mistaking Apple not needing Intel or AMD, nor x86 at all, to achieve laptop-grade performance, which they have shown, with ARM being the only way to do so.

Let's not forget: the impressive feat is that they aren't behind despite the switch, not, so it's like we're back to PowerPC days before PowerPC became just too bad. It's not nothing, but not needing x86 is not the same as needing ARM.

6 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Everything I need for work works for me. 

I've stated in several other threads that the over all system responsiveness can't be described, this thing is fast, quiet and cool in a normal workflow. 

(mainly use MS Office (word, excel, outlook, onenote), AutoCAD and browser to do my work all of the programs except Safari are currently running under rosetta so they aren't even native) 

i mean, you don't really need a $1000 mac mini for ms office, autocad and browser.

For me M1 is the dream for like 90% of people (the users that are not enthousiasts)
It didn't happen once but the majority of times that people that are introduced into tech ask for : something that works well, don't be slow, will do what i want.
The M1 will be good on anything, so i don't have to ask " will you play games?" " will you do heavy workloads?" "what apps are u using?"
So that complete package is the plan of Apple, do all, do em good.
But if it's better than x86?
it's just different and some apps work better there
Like gmail runs faster on my android than my pc...

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, because there aren't any ARM optimized cpu for windows yet, they use the desktop version of snapdragon, which is sucks even in android.

Yes, games aren't optimized for Bulldozer 🤷‍♂️

Everything may be "good once someone does something"; if and when that happens, it will be news. There's a reason we are having this conversation now and not when the first ARM-based smartphone or tablet appeared.

11 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

barley

ya talking about the grain, or the adverb?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, boggy77 said:

i mean, you don't really need a $1000 mac mini for ms office, autocad and browser.

True but it's nice to flex, also my old iMac was really old so it was just my upgrade path, so far I'm content with holding out for the M1 release before upgrade :) (oh and I have a excel file that makes even high end systems weep)

Also the overall system responsiveness is something I've not experienced on other machines. 

1 minute ago, Spindel said:

oh and I have a excel file that makes even high end systems weep

how does that work with the 8gb of ram the mac mini has?

Just now, boggy77 said:

how does that work with the 8gb of ram the mac mini has?

Don't know I have 16 GB

Just now, Spindel said:

True but it's nice to flex, also my old iMac was really old so it was just my upgrade path, so far I'm content with holding out for the M1 release before upgrade :) (oh and I have a excel file that makes even high end systems weep)

Also the overall system responsiveness is something I've not experienced on other machines. 

you just proved my point. People buy apple to flex. A dell optiplex can browse and send messages and also use ms office. So I just hate apple for that reason. Love their products, hate them

27 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Yeah x86 is old. It must be 15-20 years since I had x86 chip last. Now I run x64. and it's good. :)

Apart from that, the more companies that can make good CPU and whatnot the better. Competition benefits us, the users and monopoly benefits the corporation.

well arm is not much newer then x86

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, Spindel said:

Don't know I have 16 GB

sorry my bad, just saw they have 16gb options as well. for an extra £200 which is ridiculous.

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

you just proved my point. People buy apple to flex. A dell optiplex can browse and send messages and also use ms office. So I just hate apple for that reason. Love their products, hate them

Good for you. 

My last iMac lasted me 7 years, a good ROI for me. 

Mac's have 1 mayor advantage.

There scews are very limited, this means you can optimise your programs much better, almost similar to a console. unlike PC's

As for rossetta,  there is special hardware accelleration bakes into the chips. this cost money and will soon be dropped.

Part/most of the speed it comes from package on package not from processor design. it's been predicted we would go that route for a long time, but it's still fairly expensive.

Off course with the apple premium+++ there is enough bandwith to absorb those costs

They also have a node advantage, and arm is under pressure from RISK-V atm which is developing at an alarming pace.

Also do not forget it takes decade to phase out x86 if there is a need for to do that,

Apple can do this because they are not in the real money computer marker, aka the server / buisness space. and there computer division is tiny, and there users are crazy fanboys.

This makes it a lot easier to make such a step forward.

AMD tried making arm chips before, so who knows it might be te future, Risk-V might be the future, or x86 might be the future.

We will see, it's about time intell stops dragging and also starts innovating again.

Just now, Spindel said:

Good for you. 

My last iMac lasted me 7 years, a good ROI for me. 

don't mean to offend. just stating my point. Not all people are like that. just most are

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

£200???

I paid.... £70-80 for 16 GB lol....

yeah I paid $65 for 16GB of RAM...

and this is an upgrade from 8GB... so like $40 because it's 8GB more.

It's crazy, but it's been going on for a while

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

sorry my bad, just saw they have 16gb options as well. for an extra £200 which is ridiculous.

The ram options were overpriced with the Intel based mac mini too, but at least you could replace it yourself with standard laptop SODIMM RAM sticks.

I would personally rather have one of the SFF desktops with a Ryzen CPU.

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

well arm is not much newer then x86

ARM is not but "apple silicon" is.

There are plenty of companies using ARM technology, but on the level of what apple did, none.

They wipe out all intel mac performance gulping only 10w power.

I wonder if they bump the power threshold to 30-40w for desktop with 4-5ghz, end of story for x86.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

well arm might get competitive in future but not by apple  

they are very closed

so closed that linus torvalds said if they were a bit more open the linux foundation would port linux kernel to apples new processors 

as such apples switching to arm wont rise arm's market share by much

5 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

£200???

I paid.... £70-80 for 16 GB lol....

I think they have a valid reason for this as the ram is baked in the cpu.

And the excuse for doing so is acceptable looking at the performance numbers.

Well at least they didn't charge it for a measly extra sticks like they did with intel mac.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

There are plenty of companies using ARM technology, but on the level of what apple did, none.

They wipe out all intel mac performance gulping only 10w power.

I wonder if they bump the power threshold to 30-40w for desktop with 4-5ghz, end of story for x86.

well apple silicon still contains a lot stuff from and thats why they have a licence from arm 

and if nvidia wants to void apples licence they will be in trouble ( which is thing that can happen)

Seeing all the hype, my biggest question is, why haven't bots bought all of the available Apple chips already? Just from hype alone there should be ample of options for scalping there.

On more serious note, competition is always good. The fact that AMD was able to come back and beat Intel back to workshop was already big boost to industry. Customer will always benefit most from competition as it means lower prices and better performance at once.

Nothing entering markets will suddenly make competition obsolete, and M1 sure has long way to go for that. It might take years, and in that time competition will catch up. Intel and AMD have been there for long time, they aren't gonna just fold because Apple has decided to do something by themselves for once.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This isn't any different from saying "x86 isn't new, but Zen 3 is".

X86 is only old in the same sense that ARM is.

Apple silicon is new in the same way that Zen 3 or Tiger Lake are.

These threads need to stop.

Apples clames aren't true.

They are hiding information on the graphs.

Also, geekbench is known to be (somewhat) better on macs.

Apple silicon will only be in apple's shit.

x86 will never die.

Apple sillicon will be good for the general computing market, pushing AMD and Intel to innovate.

Arm app support will grow in the near future.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler