Stick With Nvidia Or Switch To AMD To Have Freesync?

mrjamin24

I'm pretty sure my GPU had died today. MSI GTX 1070 Armor. The red LED Debug light on my motherboard has come on. It indicates there is a problem with the GPU. This has never happened before. Anyway this is not query I have!

My question is - is Freesync AMAZING enough that it is worth switching to AMD for?? **

The display I use is a Samsung TV Q70R. It's native refresh rate at 1080p and 1440p is 120hz (60hz at 4K). And it also supports Freesync which as we know is AMD only, unless you have a displayport input in your monitor. My TV does not have a displayport. This is unfortunate because I would love to be able to stick with an Nvidia GPU as they're decent and there is a lot of support and compatibility for them. And no, changing displays is not an option for me. This TV was very expensive for me to buy and I'm sticking with it! Regardless of how frustrating it can be to use sometimes.

I've never seen or experienced Freesync or Gsync in person so I have no frame of reference. Is it worth giving up all of the compatibility, reliability, support, and ubiquity of an Nvidia GPU in order to have a similar-powered AMD GPU, but with the ability to use Freesync?

I can usually manage a solid 60fps with ultra settings in most games. And sacrificing tsome graphical fidelity iften gets my most of the way, if not all of the way to 120fps.

I wanted to wait until the ineviatable RTX 3060 came out to get that or and equivallent AMD. But now my GPU has died I haver no choice but to buy a new one now.

My set up is/was:

MSI GTX 1070 Armor

Ryzen 5 3600x

MSI X570 Gaming Plus

RAM Trident Z RGB 2x 8GB

Freesync won't really do anything if you are on a 5700 XT series or higher GPU at 144hz.

These cards at 1080P are just simply too fast, but will last.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Thank you for you reply! Ok i see, thats very interesting to hear. So at higher refresh rates the benefits of G/Freesync become less noticable? You're kind of telling me what I want to hear too, so thanks for that as well

They do support Freesync, you're right. I am aware of that. But they only support it if your display has a displayport input, which mine does not :(

Let me ask you this, have you noticed any tearing with your 1070 and if you have has it annoyed you?

Of course if there is tearing it is very annoying to me. But can't think of a single time that I couldn't remedy it by switching on Vsync.

So are you saying that Freesync is in essence a substitute for Vsync?

2 hours ago, mrjamin24 said:

They do support Freesync, you're right. I am aware of that. But they only support it if your display has a displayport input, which mine does not :(

Is that specific to the 10-series?  Because I use Freesync with my 2060 over HDMI on my Asus Tuf Gaming VG27AQ. 1440p@144hz just fine.  I think I have to use DP for 1440p165hz tho.

As far as I'm aware it isn't specific to 10 series. But I absolutely could be wrong. All the googling I've done conclude that it isn't though.

Is a special function of the monitor you are using?

I think you can check whether it is working by looking in the Nvidia control panel, there will be an extra menu on the left if Freesync is active. Or so I hear, I can't varify that myself obviously.

But according to this guy it doesn't really matter if it is working or not at higher refresh rates

2 hours ago, Wheresmehammer said:

Freesync won't really do anything if you are on a 5700 XT series or higher GPU at 144hz.

These cards at 1080P are just simply too fast, but will last.

38 minutes ago, mrjamin24 said:

So are you saying that Freesync is in essence a substitute for Vsync?

Yes, G-sync and Freesync are both used to minimize tearing with no drawbacks of V-sync.

V-sync limits your fps and introduces more input lag. But if you've been fine with the V-sync and you like the features Nvidia offers, why would you switch?

Edit: The Freesync doesn't work on Nvidia cards in that particular TV, as tested by Rtings. So op is indeed correct in that.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70-q70r-qled

4 minutes ago, Gaires said:

But if you've been fine with the V-sync and you like the features Nvidia offers, why would you switch?

This is absolutely the question I'm asking. But thankfully I think I'm getting the answer I wanted - that vrr as a reason to switch isn't neccesarily worth it on its own. Thanks for your help!

18 minutes ago, mrjamin24 said:

As far as I'm aware it isn't specific to 10 series. But I absolutely could be wrong. All the googling I've done conclude that it isn't though.

Is a special function of the monitor you are using?

I think you can check whether it is working by looking in the Nvidia control panel, there will be an extra menu on the left if Freesync is active. Or so I hear, I can't varify that myself obviously.

But according to this guy it doesn't really matter if it is working or not at higher refresh rates

I use Display Port and i see no torn frames in any game i play with Freesync completely disabled on the monitor & in the driver.

This is the monitor.

Samsung C27FG73FQU 27" Curved Gaming Monitor - 144Hz, 1ms, FullHD, 2 x HDMI 1 x Displayport: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Here, i ordered this game on Steam yesterday evening and it runs flat out without a single frame drop ever on Ultra Nightmare graphics settings, everything pumped.

No Freesync enabled.

Thats pretty awesome. And good it's news too, looks like I'll be abe to stay using Nvidia. A little bit of a shame as I bought this TV because it has freesync. But never mine, eh. Good to know that at the high frame rates Freesync isn't quite so neccesary. Especially with Vsync enabled