Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which AIB's wont void my warranty for removing the cooler?

Go to solution Solved by YSL_know_plug,

it depends on the laws in your country, In the US and EU you cant loose your warranty by removing the cooler, from what i know you need to damage the actual product to loose warranty

I want to build a ultra quiet pc and to achieve that i want to do the cpu cooler mod on a gpu.

I wouldn't expect any of them to uphold it after a mod like that. Especially in the cases where they're using a reference board, you've essentially removed all their design-work.

AMD R5 3600 | AMD RX 5700XT | MSI MAG B550M Mortar | 32GB DDR4-3200 CL16

Seasonic GX 650W | Noctua NH-U12S | Cooler Master NR400 | Manjaro

it depends on the laws in your country, In the US and EU you cant loose your warranty by removing the cooler, from what i know you need to damage the actual product to loose warranty

Just now, alabistyr said:

I wouldn't expect any of them to uphold it after a mod like that. Especially in the cases where they're using a reference board, you've essentially removed all their design-work.

well its the same as water cooling though

30 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

Watercooling a reference card is modding. Like @YSL_know_plug said, it does depend on the laws in your region, so make sure you look into it. Also read the warranty information for your card, and maybe even check with the manufacturer itself via support.

AMD R5 3600 | AMD RX 5700XT | MSI MAG B550M Mortar | 32GB DDR4-3200 CL16

Seasonic GX 650W | Noctua NH-U12S | Cooler Master NR400 | Manjaro

I only know of EVGA that doesn't care if you remove the cooler, but if you're in the US or EU removing the warranty sticker can't void your warranty.

2 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

It's definitely not the same thing as watercooling.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's definitely not the same thing as watercooling.

its removing the factory heatsink and putting a better cooler on it

Just now, Viesulis said:

its removing the factory heatsink and putting a better cooler on it

Except a cpu doesn't come with a factory heatsink preinstalled, some don't even come with a cooler to start with. While all gpu's come with a cooling solution preinstalled and screwed to the board itself, and is also probably mentioned in warranty. Not to mention that it's much easier to break a gpu when removing the cooler off since there is no IHS on the GPU, it's comparable to deliding as in you're basically exposing the die.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Except a cpu doesn't come with a factory heatsink preinstalled, some don't even come with a cooler to start with. While all gpu's come with a cooling solution preinstalled and screwed to the board itself, and is also probably mentioned in warranty. Not to mention that it's much easier to break a gpu when removing the cooler off since there is no IHS on the GPU, it's comparable to deliding as in you're basically exposing the die.

Yes, but how is it different from a waterblock

Just now, Viesulis said:

Yes, but how is it different from a waterblock

You're exposing the die, and have a much higher risk of damaging other components on the board itself. When installing a water block on a cpu there isn't a risk, because there is not exposed die to damage, and no exposed components to knock off, it's a similar process to installing an air cooler. And a AIB isn't interested in covering accidental damage, or trying to find out if the GPU broke because of QC issues or because you improperly installed a water cooler.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

You're exposing the die, and have a much higher risk of damaging other components on the board itself. When installing a water block on a cpu there isn't a risk, because there is not exposed die to damage, and no exposed components to knock off, it's a similar process to installing an air cooler. And a AIB isn't interested in covering accidental damage, or trying to find out if the GPU broke because of QC issues or because you improperly installed a water cooler.

im talking about putting a water block on a gpu

1 minute ago, Viesulis said:

im talking about putting a water block on a gpu

That's what I mentioned, when installing a water block you remove the original cooler of the GPU