Suggest a NAS for me

Miles1991

Hi all, 

I currently have a Plex Server running on my living room PC. This PC is used as a NAS as well as a gaming machine and Plex Server. The PC has a Ryzen 5 3600x, 16gb of DDR4 3200mhz and an RTX 2060 super GPU. 

The issue is that it is in a tiny ITX enclosure so I am limited in terms of what storage I can fit inside. 

I am looking for a cost effective sollution to add storage to my network and am looking for suggestions. 

I am looking for at least a 4 bay external hard drive or NAS setup. 

Should I be looking for an external hard drive setup and using my PC as the Plex Server/NAS device or should I be looking for a dedicated NAS for storage. 

I could go for a higher end NAS that handles all of the Plex transcoding but that seems like a bit of a waste having a 3600x and a 2060 Super sitting idle right beside the NAS device. 

Flexible budget really. I just want to get the right setup ;-) 

3 minutes ago, Miles1991 said:

a dedicated NAS

I am a huge fan of dedicated NAS boxes, having 4 in my house (can never have too much redundancy) for several reasons:

Being dedicated, they are plug n play n forget, so having to patch and tinker and maintain.

QNAP is a big fav here at LTT, but I"ve used the ReadyNAS and Lenovo solutions have really liked those

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Miles1991 said:

I could go for a higher end NAS that handles all of the Plex transcoding but that seems like a bit of a waste having a 3600x and a 2060 Super sitting idle right beside the NAS device. 

yes this would be a waste. just go with a dedicated nas.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

yes this would be a waste. just go with a dedicated nas.

Any recommendations?