PC mainly for work, but capable gaming. CPU questions.

Budget (including currency): £1300ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Web development, graphic design, gaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I have all components apart from a PSU, GPU (although on a pre-order for a 3070) and CPU (currently on a pre-order for a 5600x). I will be using this computer all day for work, with multiple programs open, lots of app switching, lots of PS, using chrome a lot, web dev tools and compiling - I also like to play games and record them for YouTube.

I'm at a quandary. I would like to understand what CPU out of the 3700x and 5600x would be the best idea, as both are currently around £285. All the benchmarks show the 5600x beating the 3700x in almost every way, apart from heavily multithreaded work loads where the 3700x edges out. My frustration with benchmarks is that they show performance in a very specific operation, usually with a clean install of windows. Assume I run these for 3 years+, the background tasks are multiple, with Creative Cloud, dropbox, one drive, nas drive backups, virus scanner etc etc, then add on my work load to it... which is better then? More cores or higher IPC? Or doesn't it really make a difference? Would the general responsiveness, speed of apps opening etc be noticeable between the two?

For gaming I will be using a 2k monitor, but I doubt I will ever buy a high refresh monitor as this Benq is perfect for me and I cant see myself wanting to spend the money unless it breaks (at which point i would probably invest in a higher fps monitor).

I'm currently running a 2017 mbp but I miss games too much so selling it almost for an exchange (holds its resale value very well!)

Your advice is welcome.

Thanks

Dan

Parts list so far: 

• MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi mobo
  • 2x 16GB HyperX Fury 3600mhz
  • NZXT 510 white case
  • Asus Dual OC 3070 (on pre-order)
  • Adata XPG 1TB m.2 (3400mb reads)

I think there is little difference between 5600x and 3700x in multithreaded applications even in the future. 

Also, just a comment on the rest of the build, the h510 case has pretty bad airflow, if you can still return it, go for something with a mesh front.

15 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I think there is little difference between 5600x and 3700x in multithreaded applications even in the future. 

Also, just a comment on the rest of the build, the h510 case has pretty bad airflow, if you can still return it, go for something with a mesh front.

I guess I will wait to see if my pre-order comes to anything this side of xmas. Or if there are any discounts on the 3700x this weekend. Thanks

Humm, ok, tbh I went for the design over the function, which I like - and the fact that gamers nexus puts it in the 'ok to fine' category. Have you any similarly priced cases in mind that look smart without RGB and wings vomited all over them?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Danielnr said:

I guess I will wait to see if my pre-order comes to anything this side of xmas. Or if there are any discounts on the 3700x this weekend. Thanks

Humm, ok, tbh I went for the design over the function, which I like - and the fact that gamers nexus puts it in the 'ok to fine' category. Have you any similarly priced cases in mind that look smart without RGB and wings vomited all over them?

Thanks

I'd recommend the meshify C, especially, with its current discounted price. but take a look at the others as well.

Fractal Design Meshify C

27 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I'd recommend the meshify C, especially, with its current discounted price. but take a look at the others as well.

Fractal Design Meshify C

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look!

Regarding this question "Assume I run these for 3 years+, the background tasks are multiple, with Creative Cloud, dropbox, one drive, nas drive backups, virus scanner etc etc, then add on my work load to it... which is better then? More cores or higher IPC? Or doesn't it really make a difference? Would the general responsiveness, speed of apps opening etc be noticeable between the two?"

Do you envisage it making a difference? 

Thanks

37 minutes ago, Danielnr said:

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look!

Regarding this question "Assume I run these for 3 years+, the background tasks are multiple, with Creative Cloud, dropbox, one drive, nas drive backups, virus scanner etc etc, then add on my work load to it... which is better then? More cores or higher IPC? Or doesn't it really make a difference? Would the general responsiveness, speed of apps opening etc be noticeable between the two?"

Do you envisage it making a difference? 

Thanks

no, i don't think it will. and it's likely that in 3 years+ you'll upgrade to a better cpu anyway.