Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

9900k Constantly Power Limit Throttling.. why??

non overclocked 9900k. I just opened Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility while trying to figure out something completely different. Something turned yellow and caught my eye and come to find out my cpu at stock speeds is constantly Power limit throttling whenever the cpu goes above 4.4ish ghz.. Power mode in windows is set to "ultimate performance mode" (ive also tried all the rest of the modes).. I tried turning the multiplier up to 51 and down to 40 and nothing reacted either way.. When the cpu utilization is low itll kick up to 4.8 no problem but as soon as utilization goes above 20 ish percent the power limit throttling turns on and drops the cpu frequency.. I've been having weirdly terrible performance on this 7 thousand dollar pc set up and i wonder if this is why.. Ive been trying to figure it out for months...

How do i stop the limit from kicking on? My temps are very low.. I'm not even gaming. I'm watching a youtube video on firefox with IXTU in the background while i type this.. theres no other programs running.

full parts list?

and why tf did you spend 7k on a pc build then buy a 9900k

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

full parts list?

and why tf did you spend 7k on a pc build then buy a 9900k

I finished building this literally a few weeks before i found out the 10900k existed. i found out it existed a few days before its release. i definitely wouldve got the 10900k and a 3090.

Full parts:

i9 9900K
MSI MEG Z390 Godlike
32gb 3200mhz CS16 Dominator Platinum DDR4
MSI Gaming X Trio 2080ti
EVGA 1000 G5. 1k watt 80+ Gold psu
Enermax Liqmax 3 ARGB 360mm AIO
Asus Tuff Gaming GT501 case
970 evo nvme 500gb ssd boot drive
2x 860 evo 1tb ssd's
2x WD Blue 1tb hdd's
2x WD Blue 500gb hdd's
GELID GC-Extreme Thermal Paste
CyberPower 1500VA pure sinewave ups
Corsair K95 Platinum
Corsair Nightsword mouse

ASUS ROG Strix XG438Q monitor. 4k 120hz hdr 43"
Samsung 6 series 43" monitor 4k 60hz hdr 43"

Yamaha MG10XU mixer
AKG P120 Mic
2x Eris 4.5" studio monitors
2x Teac 3" studio monitors

Wild speculation but ive seen some motherboards with power profiles. Not sure if MSI is one of them but it may be worth taking a look in the BIOS for something like that. I have severe doubts the Z390 board you have would be the issue. Also you havent mentioned thermals at all so if that can be clarified too that would be great

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK3): Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 (GDDR6), Vega 6 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 250 GB 960 Evo NVME SSD, 1 TB WD Blue, 15.6 in 1080p IPS display 

2020 Acer Nitro 5 

Secondary laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 Mobile,12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD,  15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That) 

Useless Chrome Machine (Blanny): Celeron N3060, HD 400, 4 GB DDR3, 32 GB EMMC, 768p TN Display

2016 HP Stream 11.6 in

Switch Lite: Turquoise model, 64 GB Samsung Evo SD card

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

2 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

Wild speculation but ive seen some motherboards with power profiles. Not sure if MSI is one of them but it may be worth taking a look in the BIOS for something like that. I have severe doubts the Z390 board you have would be the issue. Also you havent mentioned thermals at all so if that can be clarified too that would be great

Yeah i bought this board specifically because of how wildly overbuilt it is. If the mobo is the issue ill be pissed. lol. a 700$ motherboard is insane. They designed this motherboard for extreme overclocking so i wouldnt be suprised if there were some weird settings somewhere i havent discovered yet that were the problem this whoole time.. Ive been all through every menu and sub menu and sub sub menu in the bios though and i dont recall seeing anything about power profiles in the bios.

Cpu is at 5% utilization and 4.6ghz and speccy says mobo is 44C. But theres all sorts of temperature sensors including 2 thermistor jacks i have hooked up so im not sure where its pulling that number from.

Did you raise to Turbo Boost Power Max/Short Power Max sliders in XTU?
You can probably just set them to unlimited but watch thermals as more power draw = more heat.

Current:
Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ Up to 5.3GHz (4.8GHz) all cores 
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W) @ 2025MHz
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200Mhz

Storage: 512GB PRO-X-G2R NVMe SSD, 4TB WD Passport USB-C
Displays: IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Asus VG248QE 1080p @144hz, 2x Dell SE2417HGR 1080p @60Hz

Dell Poweredge R720 (Server):
CPUs: 2x Xeon E5-2667v2 @ 3.6Ghz all cores
RAM: 120GB (15x8GB) @ 1333Mhz

Storage: 1x Intel 160GB SATA III SSD, 15x Seagate SAS Enterprise 1TB HDD in RAID 6

Old:

Eluktronics Mech-17 G1Rx:
CPU: i7-9750h @ 4.0GHz all cores
GPU: RTX 2070 @ 2004Mhz/(~1650Mhz)
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2666Mhz
Storage: 512GB HP SX920, 4TB WD Passport USB-C
Displays: BOE NV173FHM-N44 1080p@144Hz, Asus VG248QE 1080p @144hz, 2x Dell SE2417HGR 1080p @60Hz
Custom SFF AMD Sleeper (Parted out and sold/sent to friends)
Dell Precision M6700 (both GPUs died, among other issues, officially shelved for now...)

1 minute ago, Mnky313 said:

Did you raise to Turbo Boost Power Max/Short Power Max sliders in XTU?
You can probably just set them to unlimited but watch thermals as more power draw = more heat.

I just checked and It was already set to 'unlimited" for the "Turbo boost power max"

Are you running MSI Command Center or any similar software on your computer? Either the BIOS or some software on your computer is not setting the turbo power limits correctly. This has been a common problem recently on computers with MSI boards.

Delete Command Center if it is running on your computer. If that does not work, go into the BIOS and set the turbo power limits manually. A setting of 1023W for the long and short turbo power limits is plenty. The maximum value the CPU can recognize is 4095.875. Some dumb software is rounding that off to 4096 which does the opposite of what one would think. Adding 1 more to this register overloads it and causes the register to wrap around so the power limits are being set to 0W instead of 4096W. Power limit throttling is the result.

If this does not fix your problem, run ThrottleStop and click on the TPL button to open the Turbo Power Limits window. Make sure your power limits are set appropriately in that window. Open Limit Reasons to check for throttling. Run a simple stress test like the built in TS Bench test. What CPU speed does ThrottleStop report and what does Limit Reasons show. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots if you need help figuring this out. Delete XTU before running ThrottleStop if XTU is not solving your problem.

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Are you running MSI Command Center or any similar software on your computer? Either the BIOS or some software on your computer is not setting the turbo power limits correctly. This has been a common problem recently on computers with MSI boards.

Delete Command Center if it is running on your computer. If that does not work, go into the BIOS and set the turbo power limits manually. A setting of 1023W for the long and short turbo power limits is plenty. The maximum value the CPU can recognize is 4095.875. Some dumb software is rounding that off to 4096 which does the opposite of what one would think. Adding 1 more to this register overloads it and causes the register to wrap around so the power limits are being set to 0W instead of 4096W. Power limit throttling is the result.

If this does not fix your problem, run ThrottleStop and click on the TPL button to open the Turbo Power Limits window. Make sure your power limits are set appropriately in that window. Open Limit Reasons to check for throttling. Run a simple stress test like the built in TS Bench test. What CPU speed does ThrottleStop report and what does Limit Reasons show. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots if you need help figuring this out. Delete XTU before running ThrottleStop if XTU is not solving your problem.

Awesome, I'll try that right now!!

When you say "msi command center" are you referring to "MSI Dragon center"? Because i do have dragon center but do not have nor have i ever heard of msi command center. But if theres another msi program then im gonna try it!!! Dragon center has been giving me issues from day one.. overriding other rgb apps even when its told specifically not too.. Taking over devices i dont want associated with it.. i wish Corsair iCue could set motherboard and graphics card RGB.. Then i could uninstall dragoin center.. iCue works perfect 100% of the time.. Dragon center works perfect almost never. The live update checker is nice though.. It has a few cool features. But the vast majority of its use is for rgb only.

1 hour ago, Jstagzsr said:

When you say "msi command center"

I just did a quick Google search and that was the first thing that popped up that looked sort of familiar.

Try uninstalling MSI Dragon Center. Reboot and see if things improve. If not, run ThrottleStop. Post some pictures while your CPU is loaded and throttling and I should be able to tell you what is going on. The Limit Reasons window will show if you have a power limit throttling problem or some other type of throttling.

27 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

I just did a quick Google search and that was the first thing that popped up that looked sort of familiar.

Try uninstalling MSI Dragon Center. Reboot and see if things improve. If not, run ThrottleStop. Post some pictures while your CPU is loaded and throttling and I should be able to tell you what is going on. The Limit Reasons window will show if you have a power limit throttling problem or some other type of throttling.

I'll do it right  now. Gimme a minute.

45 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Here is what i got.. Not sure how to use this throttlestop app.. But as you can see from the several different sources it goes into power limit throttling whenever im at high cpu use and high clock speeds then it limits my clock speeds..

pic is 4k screenshot. lmk if you need a smaller res or a larger window of whatever you need to see.

testers.jpg

7 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

Here is what i got..

The 9900K has a 95W TDP rating. At default settings, the motherboard will set the long term turbo power limit to 95W. That is not nearly enough power for your CPU to run a stress test at full speed. The CPU will be forced to slow down so it does not exceed 95W. That is what you are seeing and that is what ThrottleStop and XTU are reporting. Intel XTU shows Package TDP at 95W and ThrottleStop shows (Package) PKG Power at 95.1W.

To get full performance out of your CPU, the turbo power limits need to be set much higher than this. Look in your BIOS in the CPU Features menu for Long Duration Power Limit and Short Duration Power Limit. Set both of these power limits to 1023 Watts so they do not interfere with maximum performance.

When you boot back up, before you start ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file so ThrottleStop can start up with a clean slate. When ThrottleStop starts and it does not find a config file, it will read all of its settings from the CPU. Post a screenshot of the TPL window and a screenshot of the FIVR window so I can see how your BIOS is setting your CPU. Exit Speccy and exit XTU. Both ThrottleStop and XTU can write information to the CPU registers. It is best not to have two different programs writing different values to the same CPU registers. 

If you are going to use XTU, exit ThrottleStop before you run XTU. If you set the turbo power limits appropriately in the BIOS, you should not need to use either program long term. 

2 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

The 9900K has a 95W TDP rating. At default settings, the motherboard will set the long term turbo power limit to 95W. That is not nearly enough power for your CPU to run a stress test at full speed. The CPU will be forced to slow down so it does not exceed 95W. That is what you are seeing and that is what ThrottleStop and XTU are reporting. Intel XTU shows Package TDP at 95W and ThrottleStop shows (Package) PKG Power at 95.1W.

To get full performance out of your CPU, the turbo power limits need to be set much higher than this. Look in your BIOS in the CPU Features menu for Long Duration Power Limit and Short Duration Power Limit. Set both of these power limits to 1023 Watts so they do not interfere with maximum performance.

When you boot back up, before you start ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file so ThrottleStop can start up with a clean slate. When ThrottleStop starts and it does not find a config file, it will read all of its settings from the CPU. Post a screenshot of the TPL window and a screenshot of the FIVR window so I can see how your BIOS is setting your CPU. Exit Speccy and exit XTU. Both ThrottleStop and XTU can write information to the CPU registers. It is best not to have two different programs writing different values to the same CPU registers. 

If you are going to use XTU, exit ThrottleStop before you run XTU. If you set the turbo power limits appropriately in the BIOS, you should not need to use either program long term. 

i usually dont use XTU at all, i just had it up so i could see if it said it was throttling. Ive never overclocked via xtu or anything. i have like a week experience with it. lol. id much rather handle everything through bios.

But ok awesome, i feel like progress is being made finally. I'm gonna take a pic of that on my phone and follow the instructions to a T. I shall respond with said screenshots. Thanks man, i really appreciate it!

One thing I noticed in your screenshot is that you have the core ratio set to 47 and the cache ratio set to 50. Most people do the opposite. If the core is set to 50 then the cache is usually set to 47. If you set the cache speed too high, this can cause instability. If you accidentally set this in XTU then change it back. Make sure your BIOS has these two ratios set correctly.

1 minute ago, unclewebb said:

One thing I noticed in your screenshot is that you have the core ratio set to 47 and the cache ratio set to 50. Most people do the opposite. If the core is set to 50 then the cache is usually set to 47. If you set the cache speed too high, this can cause instability. If you accidentally set this in XTU then change it back. Make sure your BIOS has these two ratios set correctly.

i didnt even set that.. Unless the cache auto changed when i set the core to 50 to see if there was an effect onm this issue.. I'll change it back.. Although i didnt mess with voltages at all as far as setting custom values for where an overclock would stick.. Unless what i just did fixed that?? I just ran a quick test and its definitely not stuck at 95 watts anymore.. it hit 146.... is that ok? As long as thermals are under control is it safe to be that high? I'll post those screenshots too rn.

13 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

One thing I noticed in your screenshot is that you have the core ratio set to 47 and the cache ratio set to 50.

ok, the only thing i changed was the cache ratio to 47, and i attempted to change the core ratio to 50 but it started at 36 and wont let me move it past 47..

Here are the screenshots of fivr and TPL.. no more throttling.. YES!!!!!!!!!!! finally!!!!! now maybe i can get a successful overclock! I couldnt hit 5ghz to save my life.. no matter what i did, id think it was stable then it was crash on my during testing. so i gave up after like 10 different attempts and left it stock. The overclocking options in the bios for this board are more complex than anything ive ever seen before. i was lost.. When google cant even answer your questions you realize youre over your head. lol.

Screenshot (70).png

Screenshot (69).png

10 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

no more throttling.. YES!!!!!!!!!!! finally!!!!!

Have you updated your motherboard BIOS to the latest version? I am not sure if the power limits being set incorrectly is caused by a bug in the BIOS or if this problem is caused by a bug in MSI Dragon Center. 

The default turbo ratio limits for a 9900K are 50, 50, 49, 48, 48, 47, 47, 47. When 1 or 2 cores are active, the CPU should be able to run reliably while using the 50 multiplier. You have all of your turbo ratios set to 47. This means you are under clocking your CPU and running it slower than its default rated speed. It is OK to do this. Just wanted to let you know.

If you want to run your CPU reliably and have it use the 50 multiplier whether 1, 2, 3,..., or all 8 cores are active, you might have to go into the BIOS and increase your CPU voltage. Doing this is technically overclocking. You would be running your CPU faster than the default Intel spec. Your BIOS calls this overclocking feature All Core.

CPU Ratio Apply Mode [All Core]*

Sets applied mode for CPU ratio. This item only appears when a CPU that supports Turbo Boost is installed.
[All Core] Enables the CPU Ratio. All CPU cores will run the same CPU ratio that be set in CPU Ratio.
[Per Core] Enables the Core X X of X xxxx MHz. Sets each CPU core ratio separately.
[Turbo Ratio] Enables the X-Core Ratio Limit. This option only appears when a CPU that supports this function is installed.

When testing, I prefer starting with a fixed or static voltage. Once you determine how much voltage your CPU needs to run all cores reliably at 5.0 GHz, then you can go back and try to use Adaptive Voltage. I usually just leave it at a fixed voltage. If you want to reduce power consumption and voltage when lightly loaded, enable the core C states in the BIOS. Not sure why Adaptive Voltage is so popular. The core C7 state drops both the core CPU MHz and voltage to zero. Adaptive Voltage cannot compete with that. 

Not sure why you disabled the CPU Over Temperature Alert in the BIOS. That one sounds like a useful feature. If your heatsink ever falls off, you want your CPU to throttle and slow down to protect against any damage.

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Have you updated your motherboard BIOS to the latest version? I am not sure if the power limits being set incorrectly is caused by a bug in the BIOS or if this problem is caused by a bug in MSI Dragon Center. 

The default turbo ratio limits for a 9900K are 50, 50, 49, 48, 48, 47, 47, 47. When 1 or 2 cores are active, the CPU should be able to run reliably while using the 50 multiplier. You have all of your turbo ratios set to 47. This means you are under clocking your CPU and running it slower than its default rated speed. It is OK to do this. Just wanted to let you know.

If you want to run your CPU reliably and have it use the 50 multiplier whether 1, 2, 3,..., or all 8 cores are active, you might have to go into the BIOS and increase your CPU voltage. Doing this is technically overclocking. You would be running your CPU faster than the default Intel spec. Your BIOS calls this overclocking feature All Core.

When testing, I prefer starting with a fixed or static voltage. Once you determine how much voltage your CPU needs to run all cores reliably at 5.0 GHz, then you can go back and try to use Adaptive Voltage. I usually just leave it at a fixed voltage. If you want to reduce power consumption and voltage when lightly loaded, enable the core C states in the BIOS. Not sure why Adaptive Voltage is so popular. The core C7 state drops both the core CPU MHz and voltage to zero. Adaptive Voltage cannot compete with that. 

Not sure why you disabled the CPU Over Temperature Alert in the BIOS. That one sounds like a useful feature. If your heatsink ever falls off, you want your CPU to throttle and slow down to protect against any damage.

Yes, as of a month or two ago i had the latest bios update and all the latest chipset updates and all the latest everything.

Cool, a lot of useful info there. TY. Most of it is a foreign language to me. For the past few years i had an asus z97 deluxe and i7 4790k. The bios had an auto overclock feature that gave you the best possible performance and guaranteed a stable overclocks with bare minimum voltage increase. So i didnt have to do anything manually. It was cool, but now that i have the z390 Godlike by MSI the feature doesnt exist so id have to do it manually but dont know how, or use the auto feature with the knob, but risk having way less of a lifespan on the cpu because of the bios supposedly giving way too much voltage. lol. I followed several different overclock guides and 100% of them lead to crashes shortly after booting into windows. I didnt know if i had faulty hardware or just got an amazingly terrible cpu in the silicon lottery where i couldnt even hit the all core 5ghz OC that EVERYONE is able to get.. This motherboard can supposedly get the 9900k to 5.7ghz all core but im afraid to try it after reading that the auto OC knob gives the cpu way too much voltage. And i dont know enough about any of this to be confident in the trouble shooting to get the OC i want without too much Voltage. i spoent 7 grand on this whole set up, yes, But it was a LITERAL once in a lifetime opportunity i had to build this.. i usually rock several year old hardware. i'm usually living check to check. So this pc is not only normally unobtainable, but its also irreplaceable. Id honestly rather leave it stock than risk lowering its life or ruining it because i couldnt figure out what settings i should use. But also, if i COULD figure out what settings to use and NOT ruin its life length, id absolutely love more performance that overclocking provides. Both cpu and gpu.. Especially when i dont even get enough performance as is to game the way i built this pc to be able to do. very disappointing.. 4k, ultra, hdr, 120fps or as close to 120 as possible. idc about ray tracing. Thats all i wanted. But in almost every game i play im having to lower settings to get even just 60fps. the 2080ti isnt nearly as powerful as i thought it was..

But yeah, ill definitely do what you suggested. I'm not sure why it has 47's across the board. I obviously want as much power as i can get. I uninstalled dragon center completely so i cant even check the settings it had.. i do know that whenever i enabled gaming mode or high performance mode in dragon center it DROPPED my cpu speed to sometimes tenths of a Gigahert and the game would start crashing or freezing. Dragon center definitely had a ton of bugs or bad settings. I only used it for "cooler boost" and the rgb software "mystic light".. Now that its gone i cant control my rgb but i feel like that was step 1 in figuring out all the little issues i had with this pc so thats an easy trade IMO.

Also, for shits and gigs i tried using the MSI afterburner fan curves again and whatever i changed in the bios made it so the fan CCAANN now be controlled by afterburner which means i can finally have the fan curves i want now!!!!! that was a big problem before! You definitely know your shit!

Some of the Dragon profiles set the power limits too low or incorrectly. You are not the first person to have these issues.

5.7 GHz might be doable when running liquid nitrogen. Practical, everyday overclocks are more in the 5.0 GHz to 5.1 GHz range.

1 hour ago, Jstagzsr said:

not sure why it has 47's across the board

There should be an AUTO setting in the BIOS so your CPU can use the higher 50 multiplier when lightly loaded. This should work without having to change any voltages. An Intel CPU should run at default settings without any issues. Use CPU-Z to see what your CPU voltage is at.

If you make changes in the BIOS, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before starting ThrottleStop. If you do not do this, ThrottleStop will set your CPU to the previous settings you were using. It will ignore any changes you made in the BIOS.

14 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

oh yeah, and this is what i changed in bios:

20201127_012348.jpg

Makes sense...

The i9-9900K has the "95W" rating because it Boosts up to 4.7GHz+ ... only for a short period.

Running at max, or near max, Turbo Boost for extended period of time, it VIOLATES the 95W spec.

If you look at reviews, and with Multi-Core Enhancement ENABLED, or given this CPU an all-core overclock...it is NO WHERE near 95W. More like 200W+.

Intel marketing at it's finest.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

3 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Makes sense...

The i9-9900K has the "95W" rating because it Boosts up to 4.7GHz+ ... only for a short period.

Running at max, or near max, Turbo Boost for extended period of time, it VIOLATES the 95W spec.

If you look at reviews, and with Multi-Core Enhancement ENABLED, or given this CPU an all-core overclock...it is NO WHERE near 95W. More like 200W+.

Intel marketing at it's finest.

yeah i agree 100%.. Once i disabled the power limits i was hitting 150 watts easy, and thats when i was UNDERclocked.  95 watts for 16 4.68ghz cores my ass.

5 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

yeah i agree 100%.. Once i disabled the power limits i was hitting 150 watts easy, and thats when i was UNDERclocked.  95 watts for 16 4.68ghz cores my ass.

I see you have figured that out yourself already 😁

But...'Tech Jesus' deep-dive explanation (in case you are curious)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

I see you have figured that out yourself already 😁

But...'Tech Jesus' deep-dive explanation (in case you are curious)

I shall check this out at once! GN always has awesome breakdowns fo whatever hes talking about. Thanks man.