Need Help on Cooling my GPU please!

Noire

Hi, so I just recently built my own PC, and well, it was a struggle. Nonetheless, I was very pleased with the end result. I started immediately trying to run games, such as, Skyrim and other games. Despite having a successful build, I wasn't able to get the graphics card I hoped for. I purchased a GTX 2060 Super online. In the mean time, I'm using my brother's hand me down, a 970. As shown in the picture, I am very doubtful my fan layout is good. It's constantly hitting 80 degrees and I'm just worried. (the cpu has been completely cool) Not sure if it's the fan layout or if I need to add frontal fans or maybe just the old graphics card is running towards the end of its life cycle. Please throw suggestions! :))

Capture.PNG

Has the thermal paste on the card been changed recently? Poor thermal conductivity between the heatsink and the GPU die can result in higher temperatures. Also, if it's been used extensively, check and make sure it isn't full of dust, impeding the flow of air through the heatsink, as well as checking to see if both fans are functional.

3 minutes ago, Jack0f5pades said:

Has the thermal paste on the card been changed recently? Poor thermal conductivity between the heatsink and the GPU die can result in higher temperatures. Also, if it's been used extensively, check and make sure it isn't full of dust, impeding the flow of air through the heatsink, as well as checking to see if both fans are functional.

Hi Jack, thank you so much for the suggestions. The thermal paste to my knowledge, has not been re-added onto the graphics card in years. I'm not trying to expand the longevity of the graphics card, as my new one is arriving soon. Just was testing the waters, to see if everything was functional. All fans seem to be working fine, just a little concerned on the placements of my fans. Read online after I bought the H500, that it's not regarded highly as a good case for PC gaming. Also, the PC has not been used extensively, barely have had it for a week now! 

4 minutes ago, Noire said:

Hi Jack, thank you so much for the suggestions. The thermal paste to my knowledge, has not been re-added onto the graphics card in years. I'm not trying to expand the longevity of the graphics card, as my new one is arriving soon. Just was testing the waters, to see if everything was functional. All fans seem to be working fine, just a little concerned on the placements of my fans. Read online after I bought the H500, that it's not regarded highly as a good case for PC gaming. Also, the PC has not been used extensively, barely have had it for a week now! 

you need front fans to give the gpu some fresh air. why is your cooler exhausting air to the top instead to the rear?

1 minute ago, Noire said:

If the thermal paste is that old, then yes, that's most likely the reason for the high temperatures. However, it's not that big of a concern since operating temperatures can reach 100*F before performance is impacted. If you can live with the high temperatures until your new card comes, then that's what I'd recommend doing.

Closed off front panel, no point putting fans there... you could remove the pci slot brackets and put a fan there pulling in air for the gpu.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

80C isn't that bad actually. You can get it lower, and fans quieter with good case airflow. But just for temps it's fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv