Build or Buy? Microsoft Flight Sim

Hey guys,

Im currently waiting to resume my flight training once this pandemic finally get over with. In the mean time, I want to keep up my proficiency as best I can while the flight time is hard to find. Whats the best and cheapest option to run the new version of Microsoft Flight Sim. Also what would the best VR setup be? I cant spend insane amount of money as obtaining a commercial pilots license is already a money pit. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my understanding of computers is lacking to say the least. Love the build videos though.

Cheers!

budget? currency? 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

MS FS2020 will only support WMR headsets initially so either an HP Reverb G1 or preferably G2 for best optics so you can read the gauges. I'm using a G1 for DCS World and can read the instruments much more clearly than with any previous headsets.

You're probably going to want to go pretty high end with PC specs as well. A recent Intel like a 9600K or better at 5Ghz or Ryzen 5600X with 32GB Ram and at least an RTX2080 but preferably a 3070/3080 if you can find them to up the visual detail and super sampling.

These are recommended specs for DCS World VR but I imagine FS2020 in VR will be just as demanding.

On 11/26/2020 at 3:44 AM, w0rdy88 said:

In the mean time, I want to keep up my proficiency as best I can while the flight time is hard to find.

Isn't the Xplane flight model and physics still more realistic than MSFS2020? I've not played the latter and I'm not a pilot but from what I've read online Xplane still has more accurate flight modelling which seems like it would be more important for training?

Nothing wrong with playing MSFS2020 though, looks really good.

4 hours ago, Emily123 said:

Xplane

interesting, never heard of it, but lookin this up, airports are 20 bucks, planes 30 bucks (discounted) it seems prohibitively expensive... can probably easily build a pc that runs msfs at 250fps for that money lol... 

not saying it's a bad game, it seems much better than msfs as a simulator but jc that pricing haha 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

interesting, never heard of it, but lookin this up, airports are 20 bucks, planes 30 bucks (discounted) it seems prohibitively expensive... can probably easily build a pc that runs msfs at 250fps for that money lol... 

not saying it's a bad game, it seems much better than msfs as a simulator but jc that pricing haha 

X-Plane isn't a game. It's a flight simulator in the truest sense of the term. It's an FAA certified simulator and it is used extensively for actual flight training

MSFS straddles the line between flight sim and game. From what I've read its flight models are not accurate enough for real simulation. But it's OK for pilots to do some unofficial practice.

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

X-Plane isn't a game. It's a flight simulator in the truest sense of the term

Yeah i understood that hence I said it's apparently a better Sim than the highly praised msf "sim". 

However you should tell that steam not me ;)

422910112_Screenshot_20201129-010842_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.f394ed144c2de8a6a61c82b963142aad.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity