Dead Mobo. Can I Rebuild Intel RAID10 w/o Motherboard?

bryanculver

So long story short, I suspect my motherboard or CPU is toast. I have an old i5 3570k on an Asrock H77 Pro4 motherboard 8GB of RAM that has run fine without so much of a hiccup since I built it back in 2013. It sat powered off for a while as it became less useful for gaming, eventually being awoken again as a inefficient Plex server for some time. During that transition I shoved 4x 4TB hard drives in there in RAID 10 via the onboard Intel raid controller.

Recently it got taken offline for about 3 months due to some home reorganization. I decided I should pull the remaining data (nothing critical, just my old music library and some files) off the RAID because I’m soon to be migrating to a NAS and call it a day.

Power on. It power cycles a couple times. No post. Reseated everything. Disconnected all the drives. Grabbed a speaker, plugged it into the motherboard, 3 short beeps followed by 3 short beeps. Dead memory? Bought some replacements. No go.

At this point I’m teetering on abandoning it altogether, even though I don’t have a backup of everything on there but, such is my fault.

I know to buy a replacement motherboard and CPU (can’t tell which is bad) will likely set me back $200, of which I have no intention on reviving this old rig.

Can I somehow “rebuild” even one side of the 0 part of the RAID 10 so I can pull the data off? Is it possible to throw these drives in some dock(s) and register the drives as in a raid in software?

Do you have any other intel systems? It should work in most intel systems, even new ones. What other systems do you have?

There is some data recovery software that may help. 

You don't happen to have backups.

I don’t have any towers anymore. Just a couple laptops. Fell out of touch with desktop gaming and have needed travel ready equipment for work.

I’ve found some sites about RAID recovery software but don’t know how much of that is veiled malware.

I don’t have backups unfortunately as it was never mission critical. I would like to get the data off but photos of kids, important documents, etc have been backed up to several cloud services for years (Dropbox+Glacier+iCloud Drive+Google Drive). The things still on this are things like a “fell of the back of the truck” movie & music collection which would be unfortunate but I haven’t really listened to it in years. I know some of my old code is on there too but “if you haven’t needed for this long, do you really need it”.

6 minutes ago, bryanculver said:

I don’t have any towers anymore. Just a couple laptops. Fell out of touch with desktop gaming and have needed travel ready equipment for work.

I’ve found some sites about RAID recovery software but don’t know how much of that is veiled malware.

I don’t have backups unfortunately as it was never mission critical. I would like to get the data off but photos of kids, important documents, etc have been backed up to several cloud services for years (Dropbox+Glacier+iCloud Drive+Google Drive). The things still on this are things like a “fell of the back of the truck” movie & music collection which would be unfortunate but I haven’t really listened to it in years. I know some of my old code is on there too but “if you haven’t needed for this long, do you really need it”.

Id get a cheap used destop to try to recovery the data from. desktops from that era are pretty cheap now.

Otherwise send it to a data recovery service if data is imporant.

How would you plug the drives into a system to recover the data?

My plan/idea was to buy some SATA to USB adapters and use something like Linux to read the stripes of the drives. 🤷‍♂️