Best cooler for 7 3700x in the future

Beanman

Hi I am planing on building a PC soon and am going to go with the stock cooler to start but am planing on upgrading later. I will use the 7 3700x ( yes I know that the 5 5600x exists and have already decided not to go with it ) and would like to mildly over clock. I do care about ascetics and would like some RGB if possible. I’ll probably upgrade this sometime in the spring.

my parts list 

I’ve heard the 3700x has gotten quite hard to get for reasonable prices. Might want to make sure one is gettable.   Part of the problem was the 3800xt which was just like a 3700 except more expensive and didn’t come with a cooler.  It ate fab and shelf space while doing nothing except suck. Lowering value on a value oriented product is rarely a good idea. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve heard the 3700x has gotten quite hard to get for reasonable prices. Might want to make sure one is gettable.   Part of the problem was the 3800xt which was just like a 3700 except more expensive and didn’t come with a cooler.  It ate fab and shelf space while doing nothing except suck. Lowering value on a value oriented product is rarely a good idea. 

I have a micro center near by and it’s in stock there

27 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I mean, the stock cooler with the 3700x is fairly strong

I know but it’s not great

9 minutes ago, Beanman said:

Have you used it? If not, I'd recommend giving it a try and deciding on what you'd like to improve on from there. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

30 minutes ago, Beanman said:

I have a micro center near by and it’s in stock there

Lucky you.  I wouldn’t count on the thing till it’s in your hands though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Beanman said:

True, but also not bad. There’s an argument for at least trying it first since the thing comes free with the cpu.  It was pretty marginal on the early 3700s but it ran better on the later ones.  Like a 10°c drop sometimes between early and late with voltage drop. 

33 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you used it? If not, I'd recommend giving it a try and deciding on what you'd like to improve on from there. 

I know that’s what I’m going to do. I’ll start off with the stock cooler and upgrade in the future 

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Lucky you.  I wouldn’t count on the thing till it’s in your hands though.

True